“Great & Free”

Ranked #18 of 638 things to do in Chicago
More attraction details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Established in 1868, this 35-acre, beautifully landscaped zoo is one of America's last free-admission zoos. The Great Ape House has one of the best assemblages of gorillas and chimpanzees in the world.
Roselle
27 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 26 helpful votes
“Great & Free”
Reviewed September 15, 2013

After living in the Chicago area for over 23 years, visiting Lincoln Park Zoo was on my bucket list. I finally did it. My husband and I went on a Saturday. The weather was beautiful and it was a great visit. The zoo is under construction so you cannot walk all the way around the zoo in a circular path. But, that was okay. It's a beautiful zoo right in the middle of Lincoln Park and next to the lake. It's a don't miss for all ages when visiting Chicago. Parking starts at $20, but leave your car parked in the lot and walk around Lincoln Park and the lakefront. You won't be disappointed!

Visited September 2013

34 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“Fantastic zoo”
Reviewed September 14, 2013

Lincoln Park Zoo is one of my favorites. I live in Wisconsin and the Milwaukee Zoo is closer, but I think LPZ is much nicer, more natural homes for the animals, more compact so easier to get through, and free is a huge bonus. Don't let my description of compact deter you. This zoo can be an all day trip. Many great things to see. I really like food too, so the food court is a nice perk.

Visited July 2013
Cape Town, Western Cape, South Africa
27 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 34 helpful votes
“Free entry with extra perks!”
Reviewed September 13, 2013

I have to admit, the LP Zoo was one of the major factors for me when I first moved to Chicago and needed to decide which neighborhood to live in. Staying close to the lake, the parks, and the LP Zoo was just too hard to resist!!

Spend a lovely sunny afternoon at the Zoo yesterday, the tourists haven't taken over the zoo yet (yay Spring!) so it was a relaxing stroll~ The chilly weather didn't help though, as many of the animals chose to stay indoor so I missed the deers, wolves, hippo, polar bear... just to name a few =(

BUT I SAW THE RED PANDA!!!

I swear, that luvable huggable puffy little animal puts me through SO much frustration!! The first time I was at the LP zoo, silly me asked the Zookeeper: "Where are the raccoons kept?"

He just looked at me, puzzled, and repeated (3x!) : "mmm... we don't have a raccoon exhibition..."
Me: "But you have the raccoons right there on the banners, so it's false advertisement eh?"
[the Zookeeper turns around and looked at the banner]
Zookeeper: "Er... Madame, that's our Red Panda, not a raccoon."

So, I've made a point to drop by the damn cage every time I visit the LP Zoo - but so far I've only seen it ONCE. ONCE!! AAAGGGH!!

They should close the door to the interior space so the Red Panda actually have to earn its living by entertaining guests like me!!

I swear, it's a magnified raccoon with bushier tail...

Visited July 2013
Middleton, Wisconsin
40 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“free zoo”
Reviewed September 11, 2013

we have lots of fun checking out the animals here every time we get to Chicago. The polar bear Anana was delight to watch her swimming, you can view her from below and see how a polar bear swims. she never uses her back legs, so different from the sea lions who swims using it's back feet. The best attraction there right now is the gorilla family with it's 2 babies. We enjoyed watching the mothers play with the babies. if you go please be quiet as the zoo is asking visitors to not frighten the babies, they are letting babies get use to crowds slowly. The gift shop is nice as most of the money helps the animals. The zoo is free, don't know if there is charge for parking as we take a cab there and back. Last year we didn't have any trouble getting a return cab, this year it took awhile, but cab fare wasn't bad

Visited September 2013
1 Thank theorginalsuz
Toronto, Canada
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Excellent free zoo! Love it!”
Reviewed September 9, 2013

For famillies visiting Chicago, the Lincoln park zoo must be on your list or itinerary! Not only is it free, but the variety of animals and the exhibits are definitely worth the visit. There is also a little children's zoo on the side with an indoor play/climbing area that is wonderful for kids. It seems to be a popular spot for school day trips as we saw tons of kids around during a week day. Enjoy your visit!

Visited August 2013

Been to Lincoln Park Zoo? Share your experiences!