“Why are these things always so expensive?”

360 Chicago Observation Deck
Book In Advance
More Info
$21.00*
and up
360 Chicago Observation Deck (formerly John...
Ranked #37 of 685 things to do in Chicago
More attraction details
Owner description: Soaring 1,000 feet over Michigan Avenue, 360 CHICAGO is one of the city’s most iconic attractions. Located on the 94th floor of the John Hancock Center, 360 CHICAGO (formerly John Hancock Observatory) offers breathtaking views of Chicago’s skyline, the lakefront and four neighboring states. It’s also the only place you can enjoy TILT – Chicago’s highest thrill ride! This one-of-a-kind marvel tilts guests out from the 94th floor and provides the most exhilatering views of Chicago. Relax at the Observation Deck’s bar & cafe, offering local favorites, large cocktail selection, and front-row seating to the city’s best views from 1,000 feet high. Engage with Chicago’s unique history through the concourse neighborhood exhibit and interactive learning displays in seven languages that allow you to learn even more about the Windy City. If you really want to experience Chicago, make your first stop 360 CHICAGO!
Useful Information: Activities for young children
Reviewed May 11, 2013

I was there before opening time on a Saturday morning (that's jet lag for you), so no queueing for me. I love views from high up, so it was a toss-up between the Hancock and the Willis Towers. Hancock won, as it is supposed to have a better view. Oh, and a coffee shop (as I said, jet lag....).
So, $18 for a ticket. Those city pass deals are never worth the money for me, so no discount. Why do those attractions always have to charge so much? They must be making a fortune.
But the views were nice, it wasn't crowded, so I could take my time. Make sure you read the historical information on one of the walls, it filled some knowledge gaps for me anyway.
The coffee shop is basic. The coffee was good, but the seating area is anything but inviting. Unfortunately, I had completely forgotten about the bar/restaurant that is on one of the other high floors... Do try and find the elevators to that, and save yourself the money!

Write a ReviewReviews (8,961)
All reviews
"views are amazing"
in 93 reviews
"entire city"
in 72 reviews
"great view of the city"
in 111 reviews
in 573 reviews
"tilted"
in 233 reviews

Reviewed May 11, 2013

The views from here are a little bit better than those of the Willis Tower. It just blocks from Lake Michigan so you have more of the lake and its on Michigan Ave. And it wasn't nearly as crowded as the Willis Tower. Eat at the Cheesecake Factory, has outdoor basement entrance.

1  Thank jacobtraveler11
Reviewed May 10, 2013

We went to the John Hancock Center as soon as we arrived in Chicago. We got there just before sunset and were pleasantly surprised there was no queue at all. Views were fantastic, and a great introduction to the city with interactive maps that tell you everything about all the landmarks that you're looking at. We tried to go to the Willis Tower the next day but we were told the queue was one and a half hours so we just couldn't be bothered, simply because we couldn't imagine it would be as good as the Hancock Tower.

Reviewed May 10, 2013

So we decided that our 6 yr old daughter would enjoy looking out over the city from atop a skyscraper, otherwise we would have passed. We did think that it would be a more kid friendly experience but it was just flat out boring and seriously overpriced just to ride an elevator to an upper floor and look out of the window.

There was an ice rink though...smaller than my driveway and naturally at additional cost. There was a place to eat, I can't call it a restaurant because it was basically a walk up to the counter affair with a short menu and even less seating at small cheap tables that were not exclusively for diners.

There was also the requisite cheesy souvenir shop stocked with cheap Chinese crap.

I've never in my life had to get into a line and wait to leave an attraction, guess I should have "upgraded" our tickets to ride the other elevators that were reserved for the use of people willing to pay even more money than the commoners do.

Being from Florida I am used to the tourist traps and know what to expect, but down here they do at least try to pack a lot of kid friendly stuff into their attractions and at a better value.

So unless you've never had a window seat on a commercial jet coming into a major city, spend the money on a nice meal at Maggiano's instead!