“Interesting art and history”

National Museum of Mexican Art
Ranked #79 of 640 things to do in Chicago
More attraction details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Enjoy one of the country's largest collections of Mexican art and culture, including a vibrant textile collection including indigenous outfits and weavings, folk art including masks and Día de los Muertos artifacts and ephemera documenting the Chicano Movement. Open daily 10am-5pm, closed Mondays.
Rochester, New York
116 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 158 helpful votes
“Interesting art and history”
Reviewed June 10, 2013

This smallish museum will repay your effort to get there. The regular exhibits focus on lesser known artists, but many of the post-modern works are very good, and accompanied by text that provides interesting historical context of the period in which they were created. The special exhibit of works by Chaz Borjoquez, based on graffiti, was uneven - a couple of very interesting pieces and a lot that left us cold.

Unfortunately we arrived too late in the day to cover the entire museum. Give yourself two hours minimum. Take the pink line to 18th street and walk about 2.5 blocks in the safe, working class Pilsen neighborhood to the museum. There are several excellent choices for lunch or dinner along 18th Street.

Visited May 2013

Illinois
23 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 38 helpful votes
“EXCELLENT MUSEUM”
Reviewed May 9, 2013

This museum is a must stop for art lovers. It contains a nice variety of high quality art. The works highlight religious, historical and political aspects of Mexican culture and shed light on some of the struggles the Mexican people have faced in relating to people from the United States. My favorite parts were the religious paintings and paintings from the late 20th Century,
We were able to find parking on the street in this neighborhood and we ended our visit with lunch at Nuevo Leon a few blocks away.

Visited April 2013
Kirkham, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Enjoyable way to spend an afternoon.”
Reviewed May 5, 2013

I am not usually a fan of art museums but I really wanted to visit this museum for the Dia de los muertos exhibition. I was not disappointed at the exhibits.

Visited December 2012
Grand Cayman
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Visually and historically stunning”
Reviewed May 5, 2013

I knew nothing about Mexico before I went to this Museum and I was staggered to find a rich diversity of history and culture in such a quiet, hard-to-find suburb (I am "geographically challenged" at the best of times). The Art is superb and includes just about everything from contemporary graffiti to old-fashioned "artsy and crafty" items which depict Mexico's fascinating history. There are a few separate galleries under the one roof - some offering a mixture of different artists, others focussing on key artists or movements, and I loved the mix. Whoever designed and put together the collections when I went was inspired and an excellent curator. The staff were helpful and friendly, and the gift shop took me nearly an hour to explore. I wish I had had more time to attend one of the workshops that the Museum puts on. Fabulous place.

Visited March 2013
2 Thank Jane F
Elkridge, Maryland, United States
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“A Great Off the beaten path find”
Reviewed April 25, 2013

We found this museum while exploring the Pilsen neighborhood. For a smaller museum, it had a surprising number of exhibits and gave a great overview of the Mexican-American influence in Chicago.

Visited April 2013