“EXCELLENT MUSEUM” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #84 of 631 things to do in Chicago
More attraction details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Enjoy one of the country's largest collections of Mexican art and culture, including a vibrant textile collection including indigenous outfits and weavings, folk art including masks and Día de los Muertos artifacts and ephemera documenting the Chicano Movement. Open daily 10am-5pm, closed Mondays.
Illinois
20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 36 helpful votes
“EXCELLENT MUSEUM”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 9, 2013

This museum is a must stop for art lovers. It contains a nice variety of high quality art. The works highlight religious, historical and political aspects of Mexican culture and shed light on some of the struggles the Mexican people have faced in relating to people from the United States. My favorite parts were the religious paintings and paintings from the late 20th Century,
We were able to find parking on the street in this neighborhood and we ended our visit with lunch at Nuevo Leon a few blocks away.

Visited April 2013

Kirkham, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Enjoyable way to spend an afternoon.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 5, 2013

I am not usually a fan of art museums but I really wanted to visit this museum for the Dia de los muertos exhibition. I was not disappointed at the exhibits.

Visited December 2012
Grand Cayman
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Visually and historically stunning”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 5, 2013

I knew nothing about Mexico before I went to this Museum and I was staggered to find a rich diversity of history and culture in such a quiet, hard-to-find suburb (I am "geographically challenged" at the best of times). The Art is superb and includes just about everything from contemporary graffiti to old-fashioned "artsy and crafty" items which depict Mexico's fascinating history. There are a few separate galleries under the one roof - some offering a mixture of different artists, others focussing on key artists or movements, and I loved the mix. Whoever designed and put together the collections when I went was inspired and an excellent curator. The staff were helpful and friendly, and the gift shop took me nearly an hour to explore. I wish I had had more time to attend one of the workshops that the Museum puts on. Fabulous place.

Visited March 2013
2 Thank Jane F
Elkridge, Maryland, United States
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“A Great Off the beaten path find”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 25, 2013

We found this museum while exploring the Pilsen neighborhood. For a smaller museum, it had a surprising number of exhibits and gave a great overview of the Mexican-American influence in Chicago.

Visited April 2013
Chicago, Illinois
“"Off the beaten path" Chicago”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 1, 2013

Good place to visit if you're thirsty for a museum that isn't your average bear. Dazzling exhibits. FREE. and you can end your visit to Pilsen with scrumptious Nuevo Leon just down the block.

Visited November 2012