“Amazing and artfully prepared food”
Review of Mexique

Mexique
Reserve with OpenTable
Mexique is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #44 of 10,076 Restaurants in Chicago
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: West Town
Cross street: Chicago and Ashland
Reviewed May 1, 2014 via mobile

We ordered the 6 course tasting menu for $75 each. Our favorite courses were the pork belly with a complex mole sauce and a delicious cucumber crab soup. We also had a scallop course, a duck and quinoa course, a rare tuna course and dessert was a tres leches cake with a pannacotta. Everything was good really and the service was friendly and faultless. I can see why this restaurant was busy on a Tuesday night and rated so highly.

1  Thank missymalloo

Reviewed April 28, 2014

Lunch at Mexique: the sunchoke soup was to die for.. and I would gladly have a bowl of it everytime I went.

Reviewed April 23, 2014

We made a mid week booking here and liked it very much. The waitress was great and explained the food well and the fusion Mexican and French food worked really well.
I thought it was not expensive, for the quality and was a great, fun and unpretentious dining experience.

Reviewed April 22, 2014

I'm conflicted in this interview. Carlos Gaytan definitely has skills. However, this French and Mexican fusion experience did not work for us. For me this was heavily French cuisine with a wisp and I do mean wisp of Mexican fusion. Servers were polite and knowledgeable. What i didn't like was how the servers would describe the dish by bend directly over my dish as if talking to it. It was very uncomfortable having the waiter talking with his mouth so close to my food.

Starting with the seafood "Corn" tamal. Small pieces of shell fish enveloped in a very, very salty mousse arrangement was too seasoned for us and I like my food well seasoned. The Tinga de Pollo was tasty, shredded chicken in a smoky sauce served on a round tortilla chip. If you inhale deeply you might smell some chipotle but you wont taste it. The Cochinita Rillettes is like a carnitas pâté served with toast points. The pâté was very rich and tasty. The Mango/Habanero Coulis decorated the plate very well but made zero contribution to how the pâté expressed itself on the palate itself. Perhaps I didn't understand how to make it part of the experience.

For my main course I ordered the veal short rib. When I observed my dish being served I said to myself, ahhh, perhaps the raison d'être. The serving was a decent portion and it was steaming hot and fork tender. Unfortunately, the veal was totally overwhelmed by an allspice or similar rub.

For dessert, the apple tart was tasty but the puff pastry was flat, a little rubbery and too firm.

I failed to mention in the beginning, I felt this experience might not go well when there was no well composed hand shaken Margaritas or even fine tequilas on the bar menu. Although, there wines were excellent.

In the end, when we left, the place was packed and the buzz was high! Its just not for us. All the best to Chef Gaytan. He will stay on his feet.

1  Thank Time_for_Travel14
Reviewed April 15, 2014

My husband and I visited Mexique for my birthday and we had an outstanding meal. We chose this restaurant specifically because we had seen the Chef, Carlos Gaytan, compete on last years' Top Chef and also read a few articles about him and his family in the Chicago Tribune. We were impressed with the look of his food on Top Chef and equally impressed with how the articles highlighted his devotion to his family and his faith. He comes from humble roots and has stayed humble despite the recent publicity and the Michelin Star awarded his restaurant. In fact, he was at the restaurant the night we were there and he was constantly going in and out of the kitchen examining the food, ensuring it met his expectations and interacting with the guests. The restaurant is located on the north side of Chicago and the outside is a bit nondescript but once you enter you see how charming it is.

We had three appretizers to start -- we couldn't decide on one (the trio of sopes, the honey truffle mascarpone with beets and the corn tamale with seafood mousse). Each was better than the last. There was a different filling for each sope (escargots, lamb sausage and black beans and young coconut inside the sweet plantain sope, yum!!). For the main course, I had the skatewing and my husband had the pozole verde mahi mahi. Each of our fish dishes was tasty, wonderfully seasoned and extremely tender. We enjoyed the evening and will take our adult children there next time.

One note: the restaurant only serves beer, wine and sangria. They do not have a fully stocked bar. Either way, the food is the star and the beverages should compliment it rather than overpower it. I strongly recommend others visit this wonderful restaurant.