“Best Meal I've Ever Had... No Exaggeration”
Review of Mexique

Mexique
Reserve with OpenTable
Mexique is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #53 of 9,832 Restaurants in Chicago
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: West Town
Cross street: Chicago and Ashland
Reviewed February 21, 2014

I first experienced Chef Gaytan's food at a Taste of Chicago special event and I vowed to visit his restaurant. I am supremely glad I did. It truly is the best meal I've ever had at a restaurant. There's been very few food items I've ever had that blew my mind, yet everything we tried here was exactly that. The service was impeccable, the wine pairing spot-on. My new fave in a city full of gems. Bravo.

Reviewed February 8, 2014

We went here for lunch during Chicago's restaurant week 2014 and had a fantastic experience. Every dish was well balanced and full of flavor!

The lunch menu during restaurant week was a three course tasting menu. First course was a choice between Pozole soup or fish taco. Both were excellent! Some at our table and preferred the soup and others preferred the taco. I was on team taco. The fish was fried to perfection, the slaw had just the right amount of bite and the chipolte aioli finished with a bit of spiciness that was just right, not too hot and not too wimpy. Second course was a choice between salmon served on whole corn polenta with asparagus or chorizo stuffed crepes. No competition here, it was unanimous we all preferred the salmon dish. It doesn't look like it is on the regular menu but should be! The crepe dish, Scrambled Eggs, Chorizo, Gruyere Cheese, Pico de Gallo, Creamy Guajillo Sauce and Breakfast Potatoes was good but unremarkable. The meal was finished with french toast served with warm fruit compote. It was a nice sweet finish to the meal!

Service was excellent and we really liked the cleanliness of the decor. No pictures here to distract you from the food. All eyes on your plates people! Not to worry your eyes, palates and stomachs will appreciate it!

Reviewed February 6, 2014

I just went for Chicago Restaurant Week 2014, and it was great!

Sangria - best I've ever had. The wine was sweet and clearly superior in quality, and there was plenty of finely diced fruit and mint to enhance the flavor (not just large chunks of apple as in other restaurants' versions of this drink).

Appetizer - ceviche with avocado puree, this was superb. Incredibly fresh and flavorful.

Entree - pork belly with sweet potato puree and mole - this was also excellent. The sweet potato puree was tangy and delicious. I actually am not a fan of mole but this one was very well done with a smoky aftertaste and just a hint of cinnamon.

Dessert - my friend and I shared them both! We had an apple tart which was thinly sliced apple between layers of paper-thin puff pastry, topped with vanilla bean ice cream and caramel. The other dessert was a chocolate mousse cake with strawberries and dark chocolate. Both were perfect!

Also as a nice surprise, Carlos Gaytan stopped by to say hi - he was incredibly polite and patiently answered all my questions!

Reviewed January 20, 2014

Every dish we tasted was better than the last. The smoked scallops and braised pork belly was fabulous. The pork had a tamarind and citrus glaze over what tasted like a celery and poblano purée. A delicious chocolate filled enchilada rounded out a perfect meal. Excellent service.

Reviewed January 18, 2014

This place though, is amazing, it's mexican with a twist but it's so delicious. I love the mole sauce here! I also should throw this out, I hate plantians and this place mixes a lot of plantians in the dishes but it was not a problem at all because what I ordered that came with plantians was actually really really really good. The carne asada was freaking amazing by the way! When I order carne asada in Ohio it is the most awful thing on this planet so this was definitely a change.