“Amazing food! Lots for gluten free!”
Review of Mexique

Mexique
Reserve with OpenTable
Mexique is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #53 of 9,832 Restaurants in Chicago
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: West Town
Cross street: Chicago and Ashland
Reviewed November 4, 2013

So exciting that we met Carlo's from top chef masters! He was friendly, walking between tables and letting us take his picture with our group.

Now onto the food. The waitress told us they are known for there soup and ceviche, this is totally true! We had the special soup it was roasted pear, fennel, pomegranite, cilantro crema, it was amazing, best soup I have ever had!

We had 3 starters and the ceviche was by the best. It was ahi tuna, saffon aioli, pickled butternut squash, macadamia nut was awesome! I wanted more! The beets were also interesting.

The 2 recommendations, pork with squash and the lamb both had gluten so I went for the duck. It was cooked to perfection. 3 of my dinner partners tried the pork and said it was wonderful.

I had the creme brulee for dessert which was the only dessert that was gluten free. Creme brulee is my favorite so that works for me. It was a birthday celebration and they served dessert with candles. Very nice!

We had a strong bold malbec that worked well with all the dishes.

Service was wonderful. We had Ms "Rowdy" and she did a wonderful job as we were quite demanding and ate for 4 hours!

Reviewed November 3, 2013 via mobile

Went to Mexique for the first time and was astounded by the food, the starter and entree were heavenly!!
Also the service was excellent, our waiter was called Scott and he was knowledgeable, funny and courteous!!
I would recommend this restaurant to everyone!!
Chris.

Reviewed October 27, 2013

We have a good friend who picks out most of the places we eat, so this was his choice, and a great one as it turns out. We love Mexican food and were a bit suspicious of the French fusion part, would it be a bit pretentious? Instead it was creative without losing the underlying elements of its Mexican heritage, chiles, mole, pork, beef. The soup was a seasonal blend of autumn spices with some bacon and a subtle heat, so smooth and delicious. We also had pork rillettes, again that subtle heat and nice texture. Our friends had the skate wing and carne asada, made with New York strip, they said they were very good. The skate wing apparently also had some unexpected but welcome spice. We had lamb and pork cheeks. The lamb had a surprise bit of pork cheeks which my husband really liked. I had the pork cheeks with a mole and cocoa chile with pumpkin risotto and brussel sprouts. The mole was rich but balanced by the risotto which had a mild flavor. We tried dessert too, chocolate enchiladas, an apple tart and an avocado mousse. The first two desserts were gone in seconds, the mousse was tasty, but there was some left, so I assume we all agreed that we are not fans of avocado for dessert.

The owner and chef came and talked to us, which was fun. We had made our reservations before we knew he would be on Top Chef, but we are fans of the show so it was fun to talk about his experience, even though he would give us no hints about the outcome. When I heard the restaurant had a Michelin star, I was worried that the food would be forced, outrageously expensive and the owner a bit aloof. Although the meal was expensive, it was not outrageously so. The food was delicious with flourishes, but not too many, and the chef/owner was personable, relaxed and friendly.

Overall a great experience.

Reviewed October 26, 2013 via mobile

It was absolutely fantastic from the appetizers (tinga and mussels) to the main dishes the service and the great value of the meal and atmosphere
My lamb chops with tamarindo were fantastic
Chef Gaytan was personally greeting clients, he deserves the Michelin star in spades should also win top chef

Reviewed October 24, 2013 via mobile

We have a weekly party of 4 that goes out for a local Chicago spot every Thursday. We decided to try Mexique after seeing Chef Carlos on Top Chef Amd hearing his story. We all dis the 6 course tasting menu and were wowed by the complexity of each dish. It may vary day to day - this day we were especially impressed by pork cheeks in mole and pumpkin risotto if we had to single out a dish. Each dish was packed with complexity.- balances of heat, spice, sweet - and counterplays of texture. Service was attentive
and unpretentious. A great night overall. We'll be back.