“Mexican with French Fusion? What Fun!”
Review of Mexique

Mexique
Reserve with OpenTable
Mexique is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #31 of 9,530 Restaurants in Chicago
Cuisines: Mexican, Latin
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic, Business meetings
Dining options: Brunch, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: West Town
Cross street: Chicago and Ashland
Chicago, IL
“Mexican with French Fusion? What Fun!”
Reviewed October 27, 2013

We have a good friend who picks out most of the places we eat, so this was his choice, and a great one as it turns out. We love Mexican food and were a bit suspicious of the French fusion part, would it be a bit pretentious? Instead it was creative without losing the underlying elements of its Mexican heritage, chiles, mole, pork, beef. The soup was a seasonal blend of autumn spices with some bacon and a subtle heat, so smooth and delicious. We also had pork rillettes, again that subtle heat and nice texture. Our friends had the skate wing and carne asada, made with New York strip, they said they were very good. The skate wing apparently also had some unexpected but welcome spice. We had lamb and pork cheeks. The lamb had a surprise bit of pork cheeks which my husband really liked. I had the pork cheeks with a mole and cocoa chile with pumpkin risotto and brussel sprouts. The mole was rich but balanced by the risotto which had a mild flavor. We tried dessert too, chocolate enchiladas, an apple tart and an avocado mousse. The first two desserts were gone in seconds, the mousse was tasty, but there was some left, so I assume we all agreed that we are not fans of avocado for dessert.

The owner and chef came and talked to us, which was fun. We had made our reservations before we knew he would be on Top Chef, but we are fans of the show so it was fun to talk about his experience, even though he would give us no hints about the outcome. When I heard the restaurant had a Michelin star, I was worried that the food would be forced, outrageously expensive and the owner a bit aloof. Although the meal was expensive, it was not outrageously so. The food was delicious with flourishes, but not too many, and the chef/owner was personable, relaxed and friendly.

Overall a great experience.

“Engagement party”
Reviewed October 26, 2013 via mobile

It was absolutely fantastic from the appetizers (tinga and mussels) to the main dishes the service and the great value of the meal and atmosphere
My lamb chops with tamarindo were fantastic
Chef Gaytan was personally greeting clients, he deserves the Michelin star in spades should also win top chef

“Worthy of a Michelin star - but more importantly a great experience”
Reviewed October 24, 2013 via mobile

We have a weekly party of 4 that goes out for a local Chicago spot every Thursday. We decided to try Mexique after seeing Chef Carlos on Top Chef Amd hearing his story. We all dis the 6 course tasting menu and were wowed by the complexity of each dish. It may vary day to day - this day we were especially impressed by pork cheeks in mole and pumpkin risotto if we had to single out a dish. Each dish was packed with complexity.- balances of heat, spice, sweet - and counterplays of texture. Service was attentive
and unpretentious. A great night overall. We'll be back.

Toronto, Canada
“A worthy Michelin for an excellent chef”
Reviewed October 22, 2013

Love, just love this restaurant!

I live to find gems like this restaurant! A chef with excellent technique and good ideas results in an inventive menu.

My daughter and I had the tasting menu,while my wife and our daughter's friend elected to go a la carte. I normally choose a tasting menu to get a real sense of the chef and always splurge for the matched wines. My daughter is < 21, so in solidarity did not have the accompanying wine (what a daft country - you can go to war at 18, but cannot have wine with your meals until you are 21).

The tasting menu is a paltry $75 for a 6 course meal that is just so well done, with elegant clean plating of clever dishes. The entire menu was excellent. The pork cheek was just so out of this world that it made an excellent rack of lamb that followed it seem sadly pedestrian. The desert plate was also done very well. The tasting menu in my opinion is a steal of a deal or a present from the chef!!!

Our friend had the excellent mussels and the outstanding duck, while my wife had the fish of the day, which again was outstanding.

Will return to Mexique or our next visit in a month or two. I have to try the steak tartare. I am addicted to a well made tartare and just the description alone was mouthwatering.

In my opinion, Mexique is in that rarefied class of restaurant in Chicago and could hold its own - although at a different price point etc - with sadly closed Trotter's.

texas
“great food”
Reviewed October 4, 2013

great interior Mexican food with a touch of french from the colonial period. if you're allergic to garlic, you can only eat the fish which was very good. service, plating, etc were good. until dessert and the spoons we had were light weight and cheap looking unlike all the rest of the service wear.

Visited October 2013