“Wonderful, courteous, helpful staff.”

Chicago South Loop Hotel
Ranked #102 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed August 24, 2010

I recently stayed at the hotel. The staff was top notch. No matter what I needed, Kevin (the "bell boy") was there. He was so helpful. He gave me advice on places to go and things to do. His suggestions were great. He even helped me get in my car when I locked the keys in. Everyone was great.
The room was awesome. I had a great view of the city. I will definitely stay there the next time I'm in town.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (1,822)

Reviewed August 20, 2010

I enjoyed my stay at the South Loop Hotel. It was clean, affordable, close to downtown, and a very friendly staff! The only negative is I could hear the "L" ramble past in the middle of the night from time to time, but his will not deter me from future stays. I want to keep this place a secret so I can get a room in the future! Bottom line...I will be back and recommend it to friends!

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed August 14, 2010

The Chicago South Loop Hotel was the perfect location for an overnight stay for myself and my two teenage children. It was very easy to access off of I-94. Our destination, the Field Museum, was nearby and easy to drive to. This hotel was a GREAT value! With reasonable rates and free parking, I'll definitely stay there again. The service that the desk clerk, Victor, provided was excellent. Out room was super clean, newly decorated, and spacious. The neighborhood is in the process of being revived, so don't expect to do a walking tour. In fact, safety might be a factor, especially at night. The neighborhood does not offer restaurants and sightseeing, but has access to the city bus system. The hotel restaurant had just opened, and we found the ambiance and the food to be wonderful. I was delighted to find the Chicago South Loop Hotel!

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed August 13, 2010

Free parking is great..free internet (except the wire for it is in a very odd place...behind the TV)

Layout of the room is nice and spacious however you can't see the tv from the couch and seating area. You can't move the TV either..so that isn't an option.

Room is farily quiet except for the bell hop blowing a whistle constantly in the evening hours for cabs. The train runs near by on the end of the building we were on, but not loud enough to keep you up.

Front desk (Tom I believe) was very helpful..the others at the desk ignored us at the desk at check in and when stopped to ask a question..thankfully Tom was actually working. Give that man a raise!!

I have complained, but the rooms are clean and the price is reasonable for Chicago and again free parking which almost impossible to find in Chicago.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 10, 2010

Granted that my husband and I were skeptical at first about the location of the Chicago South Loop Hotel. This hotel is a little oasis walkable to McCormick Place & Mercy Hospital just to name a few. The hotel is located 2 miles from Millenium Park. You can walk, drive, a cab to Millenium Park is under $10, and a city wide day pass on all public transportation is under $6. We thoroughly appreciated how easy it was to find from the freeway and free parking is nearly unheard of in the city. This hotel is quiet, clean, affordable, and a well staffed with a tasty restaurant. We wouldn't think twice about staying at this hotel again.

Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 5, 2010

This was my first time staying at this hotel, I actually had never heard of it. It is called the Chicago South Loop but there isn't much near the hotel. If one wanted to shop and eat out at a restaurant, a 10 minute bus ride is necessary. Luckily the bus stops right in front of the hotel and the EL is not far.

The staff at this hotel is top notch. I received excellent service from the moment I checked in. The front desk was a pleasure, and any time that I called or made a stop at the front desk to ask a question or make a request, they were more than willing to help. That was a great first impression and made the stay pleasant. The room itself was pretty spacious and clean! The bathroom was spacious and clean as well! A clean room and bathroom is crucial to my comfort level at a hotel---well done South Loop! Also, there is a nice flat screen tv in the hotel room and the lobby looks great. I love the art work and its nice and big when you walk into the hotel.

Now there is room for improvement, I understand that this is a young hotel so I'm not knocking it, I just want to give ideas for how the hotel stay can improve....

First issue---the bed is not the most comfortable. It is a little stiff and it takes some time to get used to and get cozy. I am not a fan of the mattress, if there is any way for the hotel management to improve that, I hope they do.

Second----there was no HBO! The hotel has cable but no HBO channel, I have never been to a hotel without HBO so that was a shock to me. Please get the HBO channel.

Third---there is no fridge in the room and no minibar. I know that this is a luxury complaint but if the hotel bills itself as a boutique hotel in the chicago south loop, there should at least be a fridge and minibar in the hotel room.

Fourth---the business center only has 3 computers. Fair enough that there is free wi-fi in the hotel and you can hook-up a laptop in your room, but I think the business center can stand to have more than 3 computers.

I think the hotel room decor can stand to have a few upgrades. It's not horrible by any means, it fine and its not drab. I just think with a good eye of a creative interior designer, the rooms can look just as good as the main lobby. I also saw what looked like slight water damage above one of the windows in my hotel room. Granted that this could have been due to some of the extremely intense and damaging thunderstorms Chicago has been experiencing this summer but I hope the hotel management will keep an eye on this.

Overall, I had a decent stay. There were good things and things that needed improvement and I believe that overtime, these issues will be addressed. Once again, I must give props to the staff.....GREAT SERVICE and CLEAN ROOMS! That alone will give me a reason to book a room at this hotel again.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 31, 2010

one of the best rates that we found in the city. We were attending a concert at Soldier Field, and the South Loop Hotel was about 2 miles away. The staff was extremely nice and the rooms were nice and clean. I would definitely stay at this hotel again. Just an overall great experience.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple