“Great price, location and free parking!”

Chicago South Loop Hotel
Ranked #99 of 190 Hotels in Chicago
Raleigh, North Carolina
“Great price, location and free parking!”
Reviewed June 24, 2010

This was a great hotel for location! It was close to Chinatown and only a short drive to Downtown. Very clean rooms, friendly staff and 24-hour access to a computer (which came in handy!). I would have liked a small refrigerator in the room (for my leftovers), but I was able to make due. Also, the soda vending machine gave me root beer no matter what choice I made! Overall, if you're visiting the Southside, Chinatown, Hyde Park area, then Chicago South Loop Hotel is a great choice!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (267)
Kansas City, Missouri
Reviewed June 16, 2010

If you are looking for a good value on a hotel for your Chicago visit then the South Loop will certainly fit your budget. The price was right and it's hard to find a hotel in Chicago that has free parking. But it comes with a lot of other "negatives" that you should be aware of before booking.

The hotel is what I would call "average". The staff was fine and the rooms were adequate. But room cleanliness was a concern of ours. The bathroom was very clean and new but the room itself and furniture were old. Room also had a bit of a musty ordor. Hard to sleep due to the very noisy AC unit as well as the numerous sirens that you heard all night due to the close proximity to a hospital. Our room was also on the side of the hotel nearest the train tracks which was also very noisy every time a train went by.

Location is the biggest problem with this hotel. It is located about 30 minutes by bus or cab from the heart of downtown Chicago. And the neighborhood it is in, as we later found out from some cab drivers we had, is one of the worst in Chicago. One of our cab dirvers told us he never comes out to the hotel unless he has someone like us going to the hotel from downtown. We were also warned numerous times by cab drivers to not walk around the neighborhood, especially at night. It is in an area that has a lot of low income housing (ie projects) and many vacant and boarded up buildings. Although the hotel staff said it was safe to walk to the train station I certainly would not. Your are almost forced to take a cabe or use the bus which stops on the corner -- but be sure to use cabs at night.

While the hotel says they have a deli it is pretty sad. Poor food and poor service. They were using 2 coleman gas stoves to cook eggs and had a hot plate and gridle for pancakes. Also almost no place to sit so you are forced to bring anything you purchase back to your room. You are stuck if you are hungry in the AM for somethin to eat as there is nothing else in the neighborhood. Even if there was you probably would not want to walk there for the reasons previously mentioned.

As I said, a good bargin for your dollar given the cost of hotels in Chicago but be sure to evaluate the location and other safety issues you need to consider. We'll pay the etra $$ on our next visit to Chicago and avoid this hotel.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Chgoguy80, Guest Relations Manager at Chicago South Loop Hotel, responded to this review, June 24, 2010
We appreciate your feedback. Thank you for your comments about our team. The hotel was built of new construction and furnishings two years ago. We are four miles from Chicago's City Center. Transportation is readily available. The State Street bust stop is right outsideof ourdoors. Chicago's transit system is an inexpensive means to travel throughout the city. The hotel works with Royal Carriage as sit's taxi partner. Their taxi hub for thei city is only 1 1/2 locks from the hotel. We will address your issues with Awake with Pearl. The hotel does allow Awake with Pearl touse the adjacent meeting room as overflow seating whenever possible. The hotel's full service restaurant will be opening the weekend of July 4th.
New York
Reviewed June 14, 2010

First of all, let me mention that I travel often for business and this is the first time I've ever felt strongly enough about a hotel to actually take the time to review it. This place is not what they advertise it to be. They call themselves a "boutique hotel." It's not. The rooms and service are the equivalent of any crappy two-star hotel. But that is not the biggest problem. The biggest problem is the location. In short, it is not safe. The hotel is about a 10-15 minute walk from the Chinatown L stop. The area around Chinatown is bustling and colorful and definitely worth exploring. BUT, the hotel is not in Chinatown. As soon as you walk one block from the L towards the hotel, you are in a run-down, ghetto. And it doesn't just look unsafe. It IS unsafe. A man followed me as I walked from the L to the hotel around the corner of State and 23rd St. When I let him pass in front of me, he waited at a bus stop until I passed and then continued to follow me. When I turned to face him to acknowledge that he was following me, he insisted on "walking with me." I got on my cell phone with my boyfriend but that did not deter him. I started to get nervous as we were getting further away from any other people. That's when I hailed a cab to the hotel. There are a lot of people just "hanging out" on that corner (which is a bunch of boarded up store fronts and an empty lot) and once you turn on to State, you have a 10 minute walk down a pretty empty street until you get to the hotel. It's a perfect situation for someone to get raped or mugged.

That's the worst of it, but that's only the beginning...I'll try to sum up the rest. Service is not exactly rude...more like sedated...It took the guy at the counter over 10 minutes to check me in while a line formed behind me b/c he couldn't find my reservation and although there were other people hanging out behind the counter, they were not helping him...or anyone else. There is no restaurant at (or near) the hotel and also no refrigerators in the room, so dining in is challenging. I brought some food back from Chinatown but had to fill a bucket with ice to keep it cold. The vending machines on several floors had no water left in them...to get drinking water I had to go to the water cooler in their "state-of-the-art" fitness room (it's not state-of-the-art).

In short, this place is ghetto trying to sell itself as chic. From the disgruntled looks I noticed on the faces of other guests, I assume I'm not the only one that was deceived by the website and expected something completely different for the price.

The one positive thing I can say is that the bathtub in my room was huge, which was a nice way to decompress after an unpleasant evening spent here at Chicago South Loop Hotel.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
Kansas City, Missouri
Reviewed June 12, 2010

We attended a Conferance at the Mc Cormick's place, the hotel's location was good for the Visit. It was clean the staff was friendly the Bellboys were always in the loby, avalible to assist with information, cabs ect. The front desk allways ready to help even the handy man we saw. The house keeper was horrible and either missed cleaning our room or did so inadequately . The smal personal cafe as well as the bar as a good touch. The hotel is about a 1/2 mile's walk from China Town and the 'L' the elivated train, the buss a few blocks away can take you down town, the Metra at c Cormick's Place as well. Overall we would certainly stay there again.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
ireland
Reviewed June 9, 2010

would reccomened this hotel staff very helpful and friendly.bus right outside the door to bring you to the centre of town and buses run on a regular service.the hotel is suitated in a quite area would come back here and would reccomened it to anybody looking for a place in chicago to stay!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
Fort Lauderdale
Reviewed June 3, 2010

I booked a trip with my 2 sisters for a week in Chicago. Having stayed at the South Loop Hotel for the Chicago Marathon I decided to stay again. The large rooms and with a good sized bath were part of the reason. This hotel offers free parking, and is close to city transportation. Very clean and quite with friendly staff, a great deli and new restaurant on site.
My sisters and my self enjoyed our stay and plan to return.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed May 30, 2010

I had a nice room and everything was going fine until 11:00pm when a couple a man and a woman. Her husand must have been drunk and they was fighting and slamming doors i call the front desk and securtiy came stay stop for a while and stay startrd up again and she came out of her room asking for help.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled solo
Chgoguy80, Guest Relations Manager at Chicago South Loop Hotel, responded to this review, June 29, 2010
Thank you for your feedback. Safety and security is very important at the Chicago South Loop Hotel. Like most new hotels within the city, we offer electronic door locks, cameras that monitor public areas, staff that is trained on public safety, and on-site security. We have a strict policy about noise. If we have to address a noise issue more than once with a specific guest they will b asked to leave. We want every guest to have a pleasant stay.