“good hotel for the price”

Chicago South Loop Hotel
Ranked #106 of 191 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed October 10, 2009

overnight stay only. no premium movie channels. Breakfast was good and affordable - small sitting area. convenient to convention center (1 mile away). Overall, for the money, good hotel.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (1,855)

Reviewed October 8, 2009

We stayed for a wedding in the Southside and the hotel was in a perfect location. It kind of appears out of nowhere and we walked through Chinatown to find it the first time. BUT, there is a bus stop right outside the hotel that does straight to State street and Michigan Ave for all of the touristy stuff. And the bus ran all night which is a plus, since not all of the lines do. The concierge was very helpful, but very busy that weekend and service could be slow at times. We had no complaints about the room except that it didn't come with a coffee pot. The snack shop in the hotel had excellent food though the service again was slow. There's a spa/salon, a computer room, a bar/restaurant, etc all in the hotel. Not much of a view but it was definitely a great deal.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 8, 2009

We had a great stay at this hotel. Rooms were good sized and the hotel seemed to be clean. Service was good at the front desk. We were a little worried about the location but it turned out to be ok...we were going to Soldier Field. All in all we would stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 28, 2009

Hmm. The good stuff. It was clean. Free parking in a well lit, fenced-in (not gated) lot. It was cheap when compared to the nicer hotels downtown, but it is by no means one of those nicer hotels. I stayed at a LaQuinta earlier in the week that blew this place away in all categories.
The night desk girl was useless when we asked about a good blues bar and the best way to get uptown with out driving. "You have to take the bus." Well, duh. We tried venturing out but didn't have exact change for the bus (another detail that the desk clerk could have mentioned after we asked her where the ATM is; apparently this is common knowledge, but I don't take public transit often). So we went to the hotel bar which is like any other sports bar. The bartender was pleasant and they had plenty of TVs.
The elevator makes scary sounds for only being a year and half old. The rooms are quite large actually, but there's not a whole lot in them. 2 pictures on the walls and they were the exact same picture. Not that I really care about a picture on the wall, but it gives a good idea of the attention to detail in this hotel and the barebones nature of the rooms. No in room information about the hotel, room service, etc. We had a restaurant menu from a restaurant not on the premises and a folder with printouts from the cafe. The printouts themselves were wrinkled and waterstained, unprofessional at best. The cafe was about the size of our room and done cafeteria style with the seating in a room across the hall. I didn't try the food because we waited for a few minutes and it didn't seem like anything was going on. No orders taken, no food coming out, no acknowledgment of us coming in the door. The line didn't budge. We got a couple waters from there later on and I'm not sure the woman said anything legible to us.
All in all it was a little disappointing. It seems with a little more effort/investment it could be a great hotel. It was just missing a lot in the details. Like my title I would recommend it only if you just need a place to stay. Next time I want to hang out in Chicago I won't be staying at the Chicago South Loop. I'll spend the extra to be in the middle of the action.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 24, 2009

Southloop hotel was a pleasant surprise. It was clean, well run, very professional. The staff was excellent especially a desk clerk by the name of Tommy Chen. The rooms were spacious with a large sitting area. The hotel also easily accessed various routes around Chicago. Anything that was needed the hoyel staff was eager to please; from coffee to taxis. The hotel was recently remodeled and very pleasant. My only negative would be the cafe. The staff was not friendly and the service was super slow. Otherwise, excellent hotel.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed September 23, 2009

A real surprise. If you know someone who is familiar with Chicago, they may tell you some stories about Chicago South Loop Hotel, but if you are in town and need a hotel, don't overlook this totally refurbished hotel that has been reopened for about a year and a half. Nicely decorated with large comfortable rooms and free parking. We booked through a discount broker and got a real bargain. The neighborhood is undergoing revitalization and is not quite "walkable" yet, but felt quite safe in the parking area and in the hotel.

We spent three nights and can only rave about the service from the desk - especially Tommy who worked the desk at night. He was very accommodating to our every request..

There is a coffee shop, gift shop, fitness center and bar with plans for a restaurant.

The hotel is easy to get to and is a short drive to Chinatown and the famous Connie's Pizza. Since parking is free and you can exit and enter as much as you like, it is easy to take State Street downtown

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed September 21, 2009

I truly do not understand the poor reviews of this place. It's not a Hyatt or a Westin, nor does it claim to be. I think some of the reviewers here wanted a high end hotel for a budget price. Those people should just go stay at the Hyatt or The Palmer House, pay four or five times as much as they would've at the South Loop Hotel, and quit their whining.

Based on reviews at this site, I found the South Loop to be much better than I expected. I stayed there two nights, and shared a room with two friends. Our room was roomy, very clean and comfortable, with a nice big bathroom. The front desk clerks and bellmen were efficient, informative, helpful, kind, and very, very humorous. Much like I always find the rest of this great city to be.

I was unafraid in the neighborhood, finding it not run down, but undergoing a renaissance. I expect it will only continue to improve. I do wish there had been restaurants or at least a coffee shop closer to the hotel. No biggie, though, because breakfast is served somewhere near the lobby - never had the opportunity to try it myself, but it sure smelled wonderful!

As to proximity to downtown, etc., the hotel is on the corner of 26th and State. The State Street bus runs every few minutes, and you're downtown in no time. Or, you can take a taxi for about $10. The train runs very close by as well. (Other posters here have complained about noise from the train, or "el", or whatever it's called. I'm a VERY light sleeper, and it didn't bother me at all after the first hour or so.) Get over the fact that you're not right downtown or pay the big bucks and stop complaining.

I would recommend this place to anyone who wants nice, clean, friendly accommodations for not much money in a huge city.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled with friends