“Outstanding Hospitality and value” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Chicago South Loop Hotel

Chicago South Loop Hotel
Ranked #100 of 185 Hotels in Chicago
Cleveland, Ohio
“Outstanding Hospitality and value”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2013

This was my third stay at this hotel since they have opened. Each time I visit Chicago I try and book this hotel. My last stay was through Hotwire andI could only secure it for one day. Upon my arrival around 11:30 a.m. I requested to check in. The front desk clerk informed that there wasn't a room prepared yet but offered to allow us to leave our bags so we could begin our tour which was scheduled 90 minutes later. I explained I wanted to stay an additional night but was told they were sold out. I pleaded that if there were any cancelations to call me. The next day when I was checking out she told me that was unecessary because she found me a room. The location offers FREE parking and is also on the State Street bus line. The rooms were large and clean. This hotel is a gem in Chicago.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
RDoyle76, Guest Relations Manager at Chicago South Loop Hotel, responded to this review, July 25, 2013
So happy to hear you enjoyed yourself and pleased to hear that we were able to extend your reservation on such a busy few days!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (236)
Fairfax, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2013

Would give this a 3-star rating for mediocrity, but since it was slightly better than I expected, I am going with 4 stars. Parking was very convenient with adjacent free lot, rooms spacious and clean. Request a room away from the train tracks.

Half a block south is not a good area. Had to use caution walking back after the White Sox game - so if you're going to do some sightseeing, go north or take a taxi to downtown.

Nice greeter at the door, and pretty nice lady at the desk as well. One elevator was out of order - inconvenient. Staircases not clearly marked and tucked back, hard to find. Otherwise a decent stay.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Glad to hear you enjoyed yourself, but wish you had a more enjoyable experience. My apologies regarding the elevator being out of order. I hope to see you back, so we can show you what a hotel experience look like.
West Des Moines, Iowa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2013

We have been to the South Loop Hotel on three differnt occasions. It may seem a bit pricy at first glance, but look again: free parking in a high security gated area surounded by the hotel itself (elsewhere it runs around $30 a night), free wifi (elsewhere it can run $10 a night). Great staff! Josephine at the front desk is a real jewel. She is always upbeat and friendly. She goes out of her way to make you feel at home and get settled quickly. One of the best features of this hotel are the beds. I have never been in a more comfortable bed in my life. I get a better night's sleep at the South Loop Hotel than I get at home!
The hotel is not far from downtown. My wife and I walked to Soldier Field to see Lionel Messi and his friends play soccer over the weekend. It was a great 20 minute walk. Downtown is five minutes away by car.

Room Tip: For a bit more money, get one of the corner rooms.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Gregory G
I am pleased to hear that you appreciated the complimentary amenities; those items can add up fast! Thank you and hope to see you soon!
San Marcos, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2013

Excellent stay with view of downtown. Luxurious bathtub, nice bed, great workspace, and comfortable room. Train noise and sirens were comparable to what I experience at home, so it was home away from home. Great cab service, airport shuttle, and CTA bus route for transportation. The hotel has a great business center and excellent staff. It's great if you are staying a week because the hotel provides body wash and shampoo, as well as lotion. Avoid the hassle at the airport. Can't wait to stay there again!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Your experience is my hope with every guest! On behalf of our entire staff here at The Chicago South Loop Hotel, we thank you for your business and we hope to see you again when your travels bring you back to the area.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2013

Pros:
Great location for conferences/conventions at mccormick place
Great price on hotwire listed as "Chicago south loop mccormick place"
Free parking
Free wifi
Train station nearby
Excellent service very quick and made sure we had everything we needed
Fitness room
Best shower-with jacuzzi tub and built in soap
Great towels
Soft beds
Big rooms
Flat screen tv
Fridge
Great pillows

Cons:
Bad area in my opinion
Some furniture outdated
Not a modern or luxury looking room
Mirrors on closet doors
Toliet room not separate
Full price is $150
One elevator was out of order at the time

Overall I would stay here again if I got ot on hotwire again, but I wouldn't pay full price for this. Great for business travelers.

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank imanna95
Thank you for your survey. Guest feedback is one of the best ways to gauge our performance and I would like to thank you for your willingness to share.
Richmond Hill, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2013

We stayed at the Chicago South Loop Hotel for a weekend. We got there early, after an 8 hour drive from Toronto. Our room was ready at noon, which was fantastic. The front desk staff were wonderful. The hotel is is nice and clean, the king size room was great, parking and internet were free. The hotel is located close to downtown and near to the lake. Overall we had a great time and would recommend it for a place to stay while in the city.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you so much. We can't wait to welcome you back!
Whangarei, New Zealand
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2013

For me this hotel would not be a preference again for a few reasons but my number one issue was location. To be honest I obtained this booking from one of the mystery until we have your credit card locked in sites. The area is supposed to be the McCormick Place but that is a bit of a stretch. I planned on using mass transit as I always do in Chicago. There are no metro stops near the hotel. It is somewhat isolated and is obviously an area that becomes unsafe after dark. Taxis would be the only answer after dark.
Buffet breakfast was pricey for overcooked food with limited choices.The lady who served as hostess/waitress for my late weekday buffet breakfast was soft spoken professional and attentive. She was profoundly customer care oriented which was a surprise given the actions of some of the other staff.
A chair in room began as a light color so was quite dirty and stained causing me to look closer at the room cleanliness. The room cleanliness is more along the Motel 6 rather than a normal mid priced Chicago hotel.
My door key would work for approximately one day after which I would find myself fatigued at the end of the day trapped outside of my room and nervous about the male guess lolling about the hallway. One desk clerk admitted the keys were a problem. On one occasion I asked an older female morning staff member if they had considered checking out the door sensors she sadly displayed an unpleasant stereo type personality. Her take on the situation is that it is the guests fault due to where we were placing out keys in wallets or purses. Rather than meeting her in her bad mood I quietly related a story of the same issue occurring only once before (I travel quite a bit.)at a Hyatt Regency in Sarasota where they promptly checked the door sensor. The staff member then admitted that sometimes it is an issue with the battery on the door. Why why why would any staff member blame a guest for something that could easily be a hotel problem?
My credit card was requested when I arrived and no bill was placed under my door in the early morning on checkout day. Naturally upon leaving I made an attempt to checkout. Again yet another older lady who I can only imagine had so far had a bad day informed me that I did not need a checkout (I had pre-paid via the booking site) since Im had prepaid. She reluctantly handed me a copy after I again asked her for a copy because I wanted to make sure the balance to my credit card would be zero. I personally won't stay here again.

Room Tip: Away from the main street is reported to be quieter.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Maile P
RDoyle76, Guest Relations Manager at Chicago South Loop Hotel, responded to this review, June 27, 2013
Thank you for your survey and comments. I would like to apologize about the negative experience you encountered and can assure you your comments will not be unnoticed.