“Very convenient to McCormick Place, but you get what you pay for.”

Chicago South Loop Hotel
Ranked #99 of 190 Hotels in Chicago
Los Angeles, California
“Very convenient to McCormick Place, but you get what you pay for.”
Reviewed June 10, 2013

You get what you pay for at this hotel, however, if your budget allows it and you are attending a convention at McCormick Place, book early and stay at the Hyatt across the street from the convention center.
Pros:
-Very close to McCormick Place, five minutes by Taxi, if you have a problem getting a taxi and don't want to wait too long, you can walk it (however it's not a short walk). I don't recommend it at night.
-Wifi with good signal, throughout the hotel and in room.
-Refrigerator in room
-Comfortable Bed
-Free parking if you have a car with you.
-Good service at front desk.
Cons:
-Discusting stains on carpet, chairs, needs some good cleaning.
-Everything appears to be worn out.
-Towels are very old, they have lost their white color. Had to request more towels to get better ones, still old, but better than previous ones.
-Lights on bed stands on both sides were not working
-My associate who was staying in another room found hair in the bed, so most likely it was not cleaned since the last occupant.
-Very bland rooms with no decor on walls, looks like a cheap motel room. The bed did not even have a bedskirt, the mattress was visible. The drapes were so cheap, you had to be careful not to rip it as you tried closing it.
-It's close to the train, so if you are a light sleeper, you may have an issue with the train passing by every so often.
This hotel was selected by the company I work for, if it was up to me, I would not select this hotel. If this hotel was not near the convention center I don't think it would get that many guests.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
RDoyle76, Guest Relations Manager at Chicago South Loop Hotel, responded to this review, June 27, 2013
Thank you for your survey. The Chicago South Loop Hotel is committed to providing our guest with excellent customer service and accommodations to match. We apologize if we fell short in any of these areas.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (267)
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 6, 2013

This hotel was ok. I went there on a business trip whilst at a congress at McCormick place. Hotel was reasonably located for congress center (10 minutes on shuttle bus so fine if the congress center is running a shuttle). This hotel is not near downtown Chicago though, and there are very few shops and restaurants nearby. A cab to downtown cost around $20.

The room was average- quite large but dated, with poor lighting. My shower tray didn't have sides so water ran all over the bathroom when I used the shower. I think this problem was unique to my room though, as my colleagues said theirs were fine.

Of major concern is that the housekeeping staff left my door open one day, meaning anyone could push it and go in my room! Nothing was stolen, and the front desk staff assured me the issue would be addressed with the housekeeping manager.

On the positive side, this hotel had good free wifi throughout and the front desk staff were friendly. Rooms were large and beds comfortable.

• Stayed June 2013
Thank you for taking your time to fill out a survey. I would like to apologize for the negative experiences you encountered with the hotel. I am glad it was handled appropriately by the front desk, but apologize for the inconvenience.
Shakopee, Minnesota
Reviewed May 25, 2013

We booked using hotwire, so we didn't know the name of the hotel until after we paid. We were from out of town and didn't know much about the area but were really happy that we ended up here. What appealed most to us was the free parking in the HUGE lot, and free wifi. The entire hotel looks really modern and clean. The rooms are very spacious and immaculate, and we were in a room where the only noise we heard was an occasional train coming by. The hotel is very near bus stops and train stops which help a lot. Other than that, there's not really much to see or do in the neighborhood surrounding the hotel. It's about a 15 minute walk to Chinatown through some shady spots, and lots of abandoned buildings, about a 10 minute bus ride (#29 or #4) for $2.25 to the hot part of State Street and Michigan Ave. Being off the beaten path has its pros and cons.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for your survey. I agree that this hotel has a lot to offer and is not hard to get anywhere using the CTA.
Reviewed May 23, 2013

You never know what's your going to get outside the big chains. We were looking for a hotel close to McCormick Place. We were not disappointed. The rooms are spacious and clean and the staff was excellent. The beds may have been the most comfortable I have ever experienced in a hotel. This is my hotel of choice when I return to Chicago for business or pleasure.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Alan Y
RDoyle76, Guest Relations Manager at Chicago South Loop Hotel, responded to this review, May 24, 2013
Thank you. Great to hear that we are doing things right and will see you on your way back to the city.
Bend, Oregon
Reviewed May 22, 2013 via mobile

Although I have to agree with other reviewers on the noise level, this would be only one of very few complaints. Loved the large rooms with plenty of closet and counter space in bathrooms - especially in such a great location. By great location I mean walking distance to McCormick Place but during the daytime only - gets really seedy really fast. Clean if slightly aging towels, great bed, great staff, and overall a great choice for our group traveling on business. Tips: use the stairs or "service elevator" or you could be waiting a LONG time. This opens into public spaces so not sure why it's labeled "service" at all. Also get a room facing away from the elevated train if you are a light sleeper.
Overall, I didn't have super high expectations for this property but they easily exceeded them and I would be happy to return.

Stayed May 2013
Glad to hear you had an enjoyable experience and we hope to welcome you back for many more.
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed May 21, 2013

Our rooms were large and comfortable, with a huge bathtub and mini-fridge in the suite.
A quiet location yet very close to everything we needed with an extra benefit of free parking which made our lives much easier. Front desk staff was excellent with the manager going above and beyond when we had to deal temporarily with no hot water due to a boiler problem. We were offered a room discount and another room to shower until hot water was returned to our side of the hotel... which happened expeditiously.
We would definitely return.

Room Tip: ask for the quieter side of the building
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
RDoyle76, Public Relations Manager at Chicago South Loop Hotel, responded to this review, May 24, 2013
Thank you so much. We are happy you enjoyed yourself and hope to see you again soon.
Madison, Wisconsin
Reviewed May 21, 2013

Because of graduation and a convention in town, this was literally the only hotel that had an available room for my date of stay. Therefore, my expectations were quite low and that probably turned out to be a good thing. First, the receptionist was not friendly or welcoming upon check in. Second, our room overlooks the projects and within 30 seconds of being in the room, we saw a man urinate in public about 25 yards from the hotel. Third, there was a used washcloth hanging over the shower curtain rod in our bathroom. If the housekeepers missed this obvious object, what else did they overlook when "cleaning" the room before our check in? Lastly, a towel we took off the rack to use was dirty and covered in make-up stains when we went to use it. Was it clean? Doubtful, and if it had been washed, that is certainly not something that should be put in guests rooms. Suffice it to say that I would not recommend the South Loop Hotel nor will I be staying here again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Nicole H
I am sorry your experience at the hotel was not enjoyable. I can assure you that your comments were not unnoticed and have be addressed.