“Nice stay. Good price. Close to McCormick.”

Chicago South Loop Hotel
Ranked #101 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed February 7, 2013 via mobile

I found a fantastic rate on H O T WR. Worth every penny. Less than 2 miles to McCormick Center. Free parking, not a place where you can walk to find things to do. I did not use the business center, it had a 4-5 computers and a printer. I used the fitness center, it was clean and all the equipment was in working order.

• Stayed: January 2013
2  Thank Hensemon
RDoyle76, Guest Relations Manager at Chicago South Loop Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 11, 2013

Great to hear that you really enjoyed our hotel. And you are right; McCormick Place is conviently close to the hotel. Thank you and we hope to welcome you back soon!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,821)

Reviewed January 30, 2013

We agree with other reviews about the size of the room, cleanliness, and the location, which were all great. We requested the quieter side and did not hear anything. We also found out they had gated parking, so we moved our car from the regular to the gated parking lot.

Not wanting to drive anymore, we decided to go to the bar to have something to eat and ordered the burger with fries. It was out of this world! A huge portioned burger with delicious fries. We ended up ordering more fries to take back to our room!

Room Tip: Request the quiet side of the hotel, and ask for the gated parking.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Vacationset

Thank you so much for the kind words. Glad to hear that you such a positive experience with us. We also agree that the bar and restaurant do a great job. Next time try the grilled chicken sandwich!

Reviewed January 4, 2013

Big room. Fridge. Clean. Located right on the bus route, which will take you directly to the Pier in less that 30 mins. Nowhere around there to get a coffee/food except a lackluster canteen on the main floor, but it was so easy to use local transport to get around the City I would go back there. Felt totally safe going in and out of hotel from the bus stop late at night, but I wouldn't recommend wandering around the neighbourhood at that time (but that was just me, not that I know for certain if there are any problems). Had read from previous posters that front desk was not that helpful, but I didn't experience that. They were fine. It is not a luxury hotel but was a good value for your money.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank iTravel9999
RDoyle76, Guest Relations Manager at Chicago South Loop Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 13, 2013

Thank you!

Reviewed January 1, 2013

We stayed for 3 nights over the Christmas holiday, based on other reviews we asked for a "quiet room". The Subway/Metra runs close to one side of this hotel, being on the parking lot side however it was very quiet.

Located close to McCormick place, Chinatown, Highway access and of course the Metra.

Very nice lobby, very friendly staff (and guests for that matter)

Not a 4 star property but nice and clean and comfortable with big rooms. Can't beat the prices.

Room Tip: Rooms on the side away from Metra/Subway are very quiet
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank MarkandAngie23

Hope to see you back soon!

Reviewed December 24, 2012

There aren't many places to eat nearby, but Millennium Park is only about 20 minutes by bus and there's a stop right on the corner of State and 26th (be sure to remember that, maybe even write it on your hand).

I've paid more to park downtown than I paid to spend the night at this lovely hotel. And although I feared it might be loud or seedy or unclean, it was perfectly fine on all three counts. The room was clean and truly large, which was only a problem because it made it hard for my aging eyes to see the flat screen tv from bed when I watched a the one basketball game I knew I couldn't miss.

The desk agents were swift and friendly.

Suggestion: Stop at a Walgreen's and purchase 3 or 4 one day travel passes on your way in ($5.75/day). You may not have to use your car again until you leave. Children under 7 don't have to have a pass.

I stayed here with my kids (6 and 11), and it was safe and quite, but we're pretty comfortable with big cities and public transport. It would be a great place for bicycling enthusiasts, because the lake-shore trails are nearby and easily accessed. If the weather's nice, it's an easy walk to the museum campus. We came in winter and were focused on the museums and ice-skating at Millennium Park, but now I hope comparable deals are available in the spring. Great for Obama fans, too, because Hyde Park is about the same distance south as Millennium Park is north.

If you like architecture, Mies van de Rohe and Frank Lloyd Wright are blocks away. If you are literary, then re-read a few chapters from Saul Bellow's "Humboldt's Gift" before you arrive.

This hotel has embraced a great business model. I hope they prosper. My only suggestion would be to rent bikes and sell packed lunches. I'll be back either way. Oh yeah: the room had a refrigerator and a huge bathroom.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank winterlight37
RDoyle76, Guest Relations Manager at Chicago South Loop Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 27, 2012

Hope to see you on your return to Chicago!

Reviewed December 23, 2012

I was looking for a reasonable place to stay for a Bears game and was very pleased with this place. From the time we checked in until we left the staff was super friendly and helpful. They immediately upgraded our room upon check-in so that we could be close to the other couple that we were traveling with. Whenever we needed information or directions they were so helpful, even looking things up on the internet when they didn't have an answer for us. The room was very large and clean...no complaints at all...and the free parking was a bonus! We parked our vehicle and took a bus or walked from the hotel with ease, saving us the hassles and money otherwise spent when driving in Chicago. We will definitely stay here again!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends

Hope to see you soon!

BEAR DOWN!!

Reviewed December 22, 2012

This hotel is fine if you're looking for a place to crash that is walkable to the McCormick Conference Center. I got a pretty decent rate, which was much, much cheaper than the conference's hotel block rooms. The location is only good if you are looking for the conference center. Otherwise, it's far from the El and not near anything fun. However, since I was only there for a conference, it was pretty ideal. The walk is about a half mile. It's farther to the Cermack Red Line El stop - more like .7 miles. I could have taken the State St. bus, but opted not to.

The room itself was OK - flat screen TV, clean bathroom, and everything worked. They don't give conditioner, which was a little annoying but not a huge deal. The bed was comfortable enough. Housekeeping was reliable.

Check in was easy. There was no complimentary breakfast, so I opted to eat at the pricey McCormick Center. If I have another conference, I would stay here again. If I'm being a only tourist, I would opt to stay downtown instead.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business

Glad to hear you enjoyed your experience with us. We will be getting new mattresses soon, which will make the room that much more comfortable!