“big, clean rooms; inexpensive; free parking; friendly; solid value”

Chicago South Loop Hotel
Ranked #101 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed December 24, 2012

There aren't many places to eat nearby, but Millennium Park is only about 20 minutes by bus and there's a stop right on the corner of State and 26th (be sure to remember that, maybe even write it on your hand).

I've paid more to park downtown than I paid to spend the night at this lovely hotel. And although I feared it might be loud or seedy or unclean, it was perfectly fine on all three counts. The room was clean and truly large, which was only a problem because it made it hard for my aging eyes to see the flat screen tv from bed when I watched a the one basketball game I knew I couldn't miss.

The desk agents were swift and friendly.

Suggestion: Stop at a Walgreen's and purchase 3 or 4 one day travel passes on your way in ($5.75/day). You may not have to use your car again until you leave. Children under 7 don't have to have a pass.

I stayed here with my kids (6 and 11), and it was safe and quite, but we're pretty comfortable with big cities and public transport. It would be a great place for bicycling enthusiasts, because the lake-shore trails are nearby and easily accessed. If the weather's nice, it's an easy walk to the museum campus. We came in winter and were focused on the museums and ice-skating at Millennium Park, but now I hope comparable deals are available in the spring. Great for Obama fans, too, because Hyde Park is about the same distance south as Millennium Park is north.

If you like architecture, Mies van de Rohe and Frank Lloyd Wright are blocks away. If you are literary, then re-read a few chapters from Saul Bellow's "Humboldt's Gift" before you arrive.

This hotel has embraced a great business model. I hope they prosper. My only suggestion would be to rent bikes and sell packed lunches. I'll be back either way. Oh yeah: the room had a refrigerator and a huge bathroom.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank winterlight37
RDoyle76, Guest Relations Manager at Chicago South Loop Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 27, 2012

Hope to see you on your return to Chicago!

Reviewed December 23, 2012

I was looking for a reasonable place to stay for a Bears game and was very pleased with this place. From the time we checked in until we left the staff was super friendly and helpful. They immediately upgraded our room upon check-in so that we could be close to the other couple that we were traveling with. Whenever we needed information or directions they were so helpful, even looking things up on the internet when they didn't have an answer for us. The room was very large and clean...no complaints at all...and the free parking was a bonus! We parked our vehicle and took a bus or walked from the hotel with ease, saving us the hassles and money otherwise spent when driving in Chicago. We will definitely stay here again!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends

Hope to see you soon!

BEAR DOWN!!

Reviewed December 22, 2012

This hotel is fine if you're looking for a place to crash that is walkable to the McCormick Conference Center. I got a pretty decent rate, which was much, much cheaper than the conference's hotel block rooms. The location is only good if you are looking for the conference center. Otherwise, it's far from the El and not near anything fun. However, since I was only there for a conference, it was pretty ideal. The walk is about a half mile. It's farther to the Cermack Red Line El stop - more like .7 miles. I could have taken the State St. bus, but opted not to.

The room itself was OK - flat screen TV, clean bathroom, and everything worked. They don't give conditioner, which was a little annoying but not a huge deal. The bed was comfortable enough. Housekeeping was reliable.

Check in was easy. There was no complimentary breakfast, so I opted to eat at the pricey McCormick Center. If I have another conference, I would stay here again. If I'm being a only tourist, I would opt to stay downtown instead.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business

Glad to hear you enjoyed your experience with us. We will be getting new mattresses soon, which will make the room that much more comfortable!

Reviewed December 21, 2012

I was initially worried to stay at the hotel because of it's location, but I was pleasantly surprised at the ease of this place and getting around Chicago. The free, large, parking lot made the reasonable room price a real bargain. The staff were really kind. The room was a bit grungy but HUGE, and one can see pride of ownership and the remnant of bygone elegance of the place, in the public spaces. Easy to access free internet, food options within the building, a fantastic and hug bathroom, made staying here a real treat.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank DRTraveller81
RDoyle76, Guest Relations Manager at Chicago South Loop Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 1, 2013

Hope to see you soon!

Reviewed December 20, 2012

We stayed at the South Loop hotel Nov 29-Dec 3, 2012. This was our first trip to Chicago. At first glance in google maps, the area looks kinda iffy... there's lots of construction going on right next door, and plenty of vacant lots and abandoned storefronts. But it's not as bad as it sounds!

Pros: although the location was in south Chicago, away from most of the hustle and bustle, it's at the corner of State St. Just take the 29 bus straight into downtown, the bus stop is literally steps from hotel.

The people working at the desk were very nice and polite. They stored our luggage for us until check in.

Our room was huge! We had a corner room on the 3rd floor. Just a basic double queen bed room. Plenty of bright sunlight and space. Included was a desk, mini fridge, coffee maker (eh) and seating area with two high back chairs and a glass table. Great for sipping coffee or eating a quick meal. Bathroom was also decently sized. Plenty of counter space. A full length mirror by the bathroom and a closet with iron that had full length mirrored doors.

Price! Our trip included a 4 night stay plus round trip flight from NC for $318/person. We booked through Priceline and I'm not sure how much of that was flight vs. hotel, but it's still a deal no matter how you look at it.

Pump shampoo and body wash dispensers in the shower. Breck moisturizing shampoo and some kind if great smelling Dial body wash.

Cons: the sheets were kind of rough (but clean!) and the beds were pretty hard. Pillows felt kind of lumpy and cheap. But I had no problems getting a decent nights sleep, no back or neck pain, etc.

The hot water seemed to run out in the morning and evening times. Midday you could take a long hot shower, otherwise you better make it quick. And the shower area was a huge jacuzzi tub (no fancy jets or anything) with a shower head, so while taking a shower if you weren't standing directly underneath the water, you froze.

No conditioner for your hair. No mini conditioner bottles available. Be sure to bring your own! Mini soaps were ok but not really necessary. A regular Hair dryer was also included, not the kind that's attached to the bathroom wall. A plus in my book.

Coffee maker made single cups. It wasn't very good, only okay. No creamer in the room. Only sugar and sweetener. However you can get mini liquid creamers downstairs in the cafe for free. Many flavors. We stocked up!

There's a bar/restaurant downstairs. Foods kinda pricy but very good. We only ordered food to go one time. The pesto chicken flatbreads were yummy and plenty for 2 people. I ordered at the bar. Also the bartender stole my change. It was only 44 cents and I was the only person in the bar. She wasn't busy or overwhelmed. She had the personality of the damp rag she wiped up the bar with. Blank stares. It puzzled me more than anything. She didn't have to count change, the computer did it for her. I could see the subtotal on the screen. Weird.

There was also a cafe Down stairs that made made to order food on the grill, probably good for a quick breakfast or lunch but we didnt eat there. There was also a gift shop that was never open when I passed it. Sometimes this was midday. They must keep odd hours. Also in the hotel was a beauty shop. Also didnt use.

The elevator is the slowest elevator known to man. There's only one. We took the stairs when possible.

Most if the cons were very trivial. I would not hesitate to stay here again. Enjoyed my time here.

• Stayed: November 2012

Thank you for your honest feedback. Hope to see you again shortly!

Reviewed December 12, 2012

enough space to read and study and take a break
not far away from congresscentre
envirement dark at night
Could the lunch also be open on thursday and friday?
Friendly service day and night:you do not loose time by waiting

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
2  Thank pdhchicago
RDoyle76, Guest Relations Manager at Chicago South Loop Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 13, 2012

Please come join us again!

Reviewed December 11, 2012

Stayed here 4 nights after bolting from the Ramada. Seems very upscale by the grand lobby and formal dressing on the front desk staff. Very friendly and polite. Incredible value at under $100 per night (at least in December) - including free parking - thought there must be a 'catch', but the bill was the bill - no hidden charges ($1.00 for a local call for pizza). Large room, 3 meal options on site. Felt safe - never saw any 'undesirables' near the building. A little noisy as it's 1 block from the L, but hey - it's the city right? Will definately stay here if in the area again!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business

Thank you and hope to see you soon!!