“Very Nice!”

Ranked #99 of 190 Hotels in Chicago
Talihina, Oklahoma, USA
“Very Nice!”
Reviewed October 26, 2012

The rooms were very clean, spacious and comfortable. The staff were very friendly and always on hand for any help. It was fairly close to near by attractions.
The only thing they didn't have was a microwave in the room, which would've been easier to heat up left overs and snacks, but all in all it was a great stay!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
RDoyle76, Front Office Manager at Chicago South Loop Hotel, responded to this review, October 30, 2012
Thank you for your kind words. We have placed a microwave in our business center for guest use. Hope to see you soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (267)
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed October 25, 2012

I was pleasantly surprised on our stay. This hotel is an excellent value for the price. Front desk staff were very friendly. The room was larger than average and had a refrigerator that I didn't expect but appreciated. I'm a light sleeper but the room was quiet and I slept very well. A request for extra pillows was attended to immediately. Parking is free and secure which is unheard of in a Chicago hotel. When we lived in Chicago 20 years ago this would have been a dicey area but it is gentrifying and I felt very safe. Public transit access is excellent and the interstate is easy to get to as well. I can't comment on the other facilities as we didn't use them - too busy!! All in all I was very pleased and would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you and we hope to see you soon.
Sacramento, California
Reviewed October 25, 2012

This hotel experience was absolutely abysmal. I am generally a low maintenance traveler who is accustomed to budget hotels, so I was looking forward to this experience. The room itself was ok, but the service was appalling. Upon checking in, I asked about booking a cab for the morning. I was given a number and told to call the cab company. No big deal, although most hotels of this price will book cabs for you. I called from my room and was told that I was not allowed to book a cab independently, as the hotel has an account with the cab company. I then called the front desk to ask them to book a cab, and was advised to call back in the AM. I then proceeded to lose 2 hours of sleep due to a dying battery in a smoke alarm somewhere in the hallway. When the front desk was notified by multiple people on the floor, their response was that they could not respond until the guest occupying the room with the smoke alarm called. Upon waking, I found a bill for the LOCAL phone call made to the cab company because the front desk refused to book it for me. I called the front desk to ask for a cab, and was told that they were waiting outside the hotel. Upon checking out, they refused to waive the phone bill, despite the fact that there is NO NOTIFICATION ANYWHERE that even local phone calls are charged. And last, there was NO CAB waiting outside. I was told to wait 20 minutes for the cab I had tried to book 3 times. The service and stay were appalling. Do not stay here.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank al0216a
Please allow me the opportunity to apologize for the inconvenience you had while experiencing our hotel. The front desk is encouraged to do anything in their power to make a guest feel comfortable and I am sorry we fell short in this area. We have a direct line to a cab company and am not happy with the unneeded disservice you experienced.
Gainesville, Florida
Reviewed October 24, 2012

I have mixed feelings about this hotel. We did not check in until about 11:00 p.m. on a Friday night. The front desk staff was great. When we entered our room on the 4th floor, we noticed a loud noise that came from an air vent located behind the wall in our room. When we told the front desk staff, they moved us into a room on the 2nd floor. That night we slept well. However, there is a club/lounge that rents from the hotel and they are allowed to blast their music until 2:00 a.m. When we came back to our room the following evening, the thumping from the bass was so loud our walls and windows rattled. We complained AGAIN and this time we were moved into room 513. I was exhausted. Instead of falling into my bed at 1 in the morning, we had to pack up our things for the move. This new room was extremely quiet. The heater/air conditioning in the room stopped working for the remainder of our trip. At this point we did not complain or request a move as we were tired of complaining. The room was very comfortable, spacious, and clean. The bathroom came with a nice sized tub and more than enough room for the two of us. Would we stay here again? Only if something better was not available. Due to our lack of sleep at night with the music we were exhausted for a couple of days. Hotwire did refund one of our nights. At check-out while waiting for our ride to the airport, we actually had the opportunity to express our concerns to the owners. When they asked for a suggestion I told them "new walls" would be nice. They did not seem too concerned that our stay with them was a nightmare. I guess the club brings in too much rental money. Stay at your own risk.

Room Tip: Stay in Room 513 away from the Club.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
My apologies for the difficulties you had while experiencing our hotel. Thank you for your honesty and I can assure you that your comments were not unnoticed and will be addressed.
Louisville, Kentucky
Reviewed October 23, 2012

The location had convenient access to major roads and was close to downtown, the trolley, museums, Northwestern University (Chicago campus), and Lake Michigan. I'm very glad my husband and I found it! Our room was quite spacious, clean and comfortable. We were privileged to have a great view of the city from our large, wall-to-wall hotel window. I also loved the deep bath tub and body washes that were available and made for a wonderful, soaking bubble bath during my stay. The staff were very friendly and helpful. China town, which among other places that were nearby to eat, offered some great Chicago-style pizza for delivery. Last, but not least, parking was not only FREE, but it was SECURE - fenced in and monitored, with ample space to park. For us, it just made for a wonderful, stress-free overnight stay. The only criticisms we have are that there is a refrigerator in the room but no microwave oven, and local calls are $1 each. However, the phone charge can easily be avoided by using a cell phone. We would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
RDoyle76, Guest Relations Manager at Chicago South Loop Hotel, responded to this review, October 30, 2012
Thank you. Pleased that you had such a great experience.
Farmersburg, Indiana
Reviewed October 22, 2012

This was the second time that we stayed at the South Loop. We were greeted with friendly service and let in to our room early. The rooms are very big and they have always been clean. The bathroom is very clean as well. I know this isn't a 4 star hotel but the ONLY complaint I have are the beds. Minding remember them being so hard last year. They were on that fine line of being uncomfortable and bearable. The hotel is not downtown but its a 10 minute bus ride to great there. The free parking is limited so get there early! We had a spot no problem but the lot did get full while we were there. I'd say they probably have enough parking for 3/4 of the rooms. Can't really complain about it though it is free and not many hotels in Chicago have it! You can usually find some great deals for this place in Hotwire. Its the three star near McCormicks. If its over $90 it's probably not it.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank crashinsatelite
Thank you. We hope to welcome you back a third time!
Martinez, California
Reviewed October 15, 2012

We arrived to what we thought was way out of the downtown, but as we became comfortable with the transit system it was very convenient. A bus is just across the street and goes by all the main transfer points. We had a 7 day CTA pass and went everywhere. Staff was helpful in giving us directions. Chicagoans are the nicest and most helpful people of any city I have ever visited!

Room Tip: 3rd floor. No view, overlooking parking lot, but quiet.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank BREGrandmas
Thank you for your kind worlds and I would have to agree with you about the people of this city. Very proud and ready to show it off!