“Premium Quality at an affordable price”

Chicago South Loop Hotel
Ranked #102 of 189 Hotels in Chicago
Peoria, Illinois, United States
“Premium Quality at an affordable price”
Reviewed July 9, 2012

If you don't need to stay in the heart of downtown, I highly recommend the Chicago South Loop Hotel. Only a 10 minute ride from Union Station. As soon as you arrive, you are greeted by a welcoming staff. The interior lobby is very clean and appealing. My room was very classy looking and the bed was very comfortable. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (264)
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed July 5, 2012

This was a nice hotel at a decent price a bit out of the main tourist areas. We used the #29 bus route to get to where we needed to go, and it was perfect. The rooms were nice and had great ammenites for a multi-day stay. The only complaint I would have is that the hotel is really all by itself, and there are no laundry facilities. Adding this would go a long was to making this a perfect budget option for Chicago.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jennifer R
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed July 2, 2012

I really regret my decision to stay at this hotel. Although i live in the city of chicago my boyfriend and i enjoy spending our weekends away just for a romantic evening on fridays or saturday nights. The staff was horrible. The general manager seemed clueless about greeting guests in a reasonable manor and the housekeeping staff was completely and utterly ghetto. i hate to use the term but its true. the only person i seem to enjoy was the black girl at the front desk i believe her name is monica or something. she was very nice and smiled at us and made me feel greeted. the bar was okay but ive had better drinks. the rooms= omg horrible motel 6 like seriously 159 for a room that had old sheets/blankets, old paintings, old carpet the only thing that was nice was the televison. i know this hotel wont last 3 more years it just couldnt. its a decent location but they need new staff completely like new housekeeping, front desk managers/general manager, better/ more friendly bartenders as well as a TOTAL upgrade on the rooms. i was so disappointed in my money and time i invested in this place i will never recommend anyone to go here. seriously save ur money or spend it somewhere at least in the downtown loop area you might pay more but i can bet your experience will be worth any money you spend. sorry to say but this place sucks.

Room Tip: Not recommended.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Amy Z
Taylor, Michigan
Reviewed July 2, 2012

I would rate this hotel at the bottom of the list of all the hotels that I have stayed for the following reasons, The linen was not particularly white or new it was very worn and obviously used frequently. The decor was outdated. The room that I was assigned was on the side of the building that faced the train, which meant we heard the train passing quite frequently. More over, we were on the third floor which meant that we could hear the karaoke which is the entertainment for the bar on the first floor and that continued until 2:30 AM. This hotel is not located in an area in which outside restaurants shopping or entertainment is near. You must either use public transportation the bus, or transit system, or take a taxi. I travel frequently, and this hotel does not make the cut. However, this hotel does have a somewhat quaint café that opens early enough to assist you in purchasing a decent cup of coffee and a pretty good breakfast sandwich. I've given this hotel to stars, however for the service persons I would lean towards adding one star. I cut my stay at this hotel one day short because of the location. There was a shooting at the public housing which is very near to this hotel. Search out other hotels not this one.

Room Tip: Rooms on the Eastside of this hotel are extremely noisy.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank bigsofty48180
Columbus, Georgia
Reviewed July 1, 2012

Our family of 4 sayed here for lots less than the Loop. Loved the free parking. The rooms were large and nice, even had a fridge in addition to coffee maker. We walked to the L station in Chinatown. Staff was friendly and helpful in finding restaurants within walking distance.

Room Tip: try to get a room away from the side with the green line L.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Elizabeth G
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed June 9, 2012

One of the websites decribed this as a boutique hotel, but I think independent budget hotel might be a better description. It wasn't cheap though, probably because I stayed there on a major conference weekend, but relative to the other hotels downtown, the rate at this hotel is more affordable.

Location-wise, as many other reviewers have commented, the area is known to be iffy, although there are ongoing condo developments in the area so maybe it won't be that bad. The hotel staff, taxi drivers advised not to walk alone outside after dark. Reasing the other reviews I imagined a chaotic and noisy neighborhood, but in fact, it was a somewhat quiet and remote street even on a weekend. If you do head downtown, bus route 29 (from south of the river) stops right in front of the hotel so it's not that bad. But make sure you check the bus schedule on the CTA website if you're going out at night. It's a 10-15 min walk to McCormick Place, but not a pedestrian-friendly walk.

I was really surprised to learn from a local that the property is only about 5 years old, because the interior looked very 70s/80s and the room furnishings were not in a good condition. Although I traveled alone they gave me a room with 2 double beds. One of the beds was sagging at the foot edge and when I sat down it felt like I was sliding off. The carpet was also badly stained.

I did not mind that the linens were not of good quality, but on both days I was there, half the towels were stained. The blanket was also very thin, old and grey, as though it had not been washed in ages. Icky! I agree with one of the prior reviewers that the shower had an awkward spray, wide enough that you would either feel too hot in the middle and too cold outside.

After reading the other positive reviews I'm not sure if the poor quality I experienced was because I booked the room on Hotwire. I would only recommend this as a budget option and only if you will need to be at McCormick Place a lot and can't book hotels downtown.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank S C
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed June 9, 2012

We spent four nights at the South Loop in February. We did not have a car, but found public transit quite convenient. The hotel is modern, but with a classical exterior look. Inside is a bit bland. The rooms were plain, but comfortable. We found the staff very unhelpful. It was noisy in the hall one night and we called the Front Desk several times, but no one answered. The housekeeping staff were pleasant and the room was clean. On a positive note, we felt safe walking outside at night and it is a short stroll to Chinatown for good eating!

Room Tip: West side rooms away from road and the "L". Beware of noisy convention-goers.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple