“Avoid this company--no way they should still be in business”

Chicago Segway Tour
Ranked #57 of 174 Tours in Chicago
Useful Information: Stroller parking, Lockers / storage, Wheelchair access, Activities for older children
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“Avoid this company--no way they should still be in business”
Reviewed August 23, 2013

Had a Living Social coupon but had to pay "taxes" when we got there. Refused to pay for the tire insurance but they wanted a credit card to "hold" anyway. Poor instruction. And to call this a tour is a totally scam. Rode down to Buckingham Fountain and then just stayed there for 30 minutes. Our guide knew very little about the city and what he told is about it was wrong (FYI: The Buckingham Fountain is NOT named after the same family who built Buckingham Palace in England.) Stopped briefly on the way back so he could beg for tips when we returned. Very unprofessionally run. I've been telling everyone I know to choose another company.

Visited June 2013

Detroit, Michigan
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Broken bones before the first stop.”
Reviewed August 12, 2013

You get a 2 minute review on how to operate this wobbly, unbalanced, steam roller. This is an unsafe machine, very sensitive, very unstable, no room for error. We hadn't made it to our first stop when one of our party wiped out. The segway was going out of control at a high rate of speed, vibrating, and heading towards pedestrians. The rider "bailed" on the segway with no options left to bring it under control. Her arm was broke before we made it to the first stop. Tour guides very uncaring and were more concerned about their abondened segways because we had someone who needed to go to the emergency room. The ER people told us the segway was the most dangerous thing in Chicago and brings a continuous stream of injuries to them during the summer season.

1 Thank RealOpinon
Virginia Beach, Virginia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“More Segway than tour”
Reviewed August 11, 2013

I'm a big fan of segway tours and this was my third but it lacked the tour part. Arrived at 1110 as requested and ended up with a group of 30 people because they kept taking money from people without reservations. We were broken into 2 groups but even the "guide" aid the group was too large. There really was no tour. We made a stop at Buckingham fountain, a 15 minute break to stretch legs at the aquarium, and a stop between the Field and Soldiers Field. At each he made a sarcastic, and he thought cute, comment. Then we rode straight back to Navy pier. I recommedn trying one of the other companies.

Winter Garden, Florida
126 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 147 helpful votes
“Fun”
Reviewed August 6, 2013

I'm 62 and never tried a segway tour. I had a gift certificate and made a reservation for myself and my daughter. Then I read some reviews and got nervous about doing it. I had visions of falling over and being scammed. None of that happened.
They took each rider individually and showed them how to operate the segway inside the building. It was fine. Alex, our guide said I could ride right behind him and he would watch out for me. He held onto my segway crossing the street and for about a block until we were on an easier less crowded path. Then I was fine. It's not really sightseeing because you have to keep your eyes ahead and follow the leader as he avoids any potholes. You do get a great view of the lake, the yachts and the skyline. It was nice to take a 15 minute break at the Shedd before heading back.
Yes, it was $3 for insurance and yes you have to sign a long waiver. I have had to sign a waiver for every excursion I have ever been on.
It is a controlled ride and you do have to follow in a line behind the guide. He does a couple of stops, explains some of the landmarks and takes pictures for everyone.
I thought it was a lot of fun. I'm glad I went.

“Very unprofessional!!!”
Reviewed August 1, 2013

We booked the Segway tour and they didn't tell us about the cancelation policy of 48 hours and when we called to cancel, over 24 hours in advance, they told us we couldn't and a manager would call to talk to us. The manager did not call I had to call a second time and they called the next day to cut me off while I was speaking, tell me that we were told about the cancelation policy but we were not told that. He then told me I had two options and I explained our business meetings are running late so we just need to cancel he told me I charged your card (which was not suppose to happen, they said we could pay cash when we showed up) and then he hung up on me. I called back and no one answered during their "business hours" and have not got a call back.

Visited August 2013

Been to Chicago Segway Tour? Share your experiences!