“Good price and location, but the staff is what makes it great.”

SpringHill Suites Chicago Downtown/River North
Ranked #59 of 190 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersBronze level
Shenyang, China
“Good price and location, but the staff is what makes it great.”
Reviewed July 1, 2014

Nothing special about the property- typical hotel room. Good internet speed, a much better than average breakfast. However, the staff was first-rate. Fast, efficient, helpful, and very personable. Yes, I'm just another tourist checking in, but I was made to feel that it mattered to them that I had chosen their hotel for my trip, and that I enjoyed my time in Chicago. I want Marriott to know that I notice and appreciate the quality of service.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Dan H, Manager at SpringHill Suites Chicago Downtown/River North, responded to this review, July 7, 2014
Thank you so much for the extremely kind words regarding our staff! We truly aim to be the most friendly hotel staff in downtown Chicago! I am so glad our team made a great impression on you. We hope to have you back at our hotel the next time you visit downtown Chicago!!

AGM

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (214)
  • Czech first
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed June 24, 2014

My husband and I stayed here three nights for a wedding and several of our friends stayed here as well. The staff was so friendly and accommodating.

Pros:
- Good location. We could walk easily to several nice restaurants/bars, Magnificent Mile, park, grocery store and river walk.
- No bar on site but you can purchase single beers and bottles of wine until 2 am at the hotel.
- Staff was very friendly and very helpful. Breakfast was already put away one morning and one of the staff offered to get my husband a bagel for example.
- They have water in the lobby that is infused with fresh fruit that is quite refreshing.
- Hotel gym on the top floor has all of the equipment and machines you'd need for a complete workout plus the views from high up.

Con:
- Pillows were too thin and we would wake up with sore necks.

FYI: Note that dry cleaning should be in around 6 pm or it could be as late as 8 pm. We did not express our dry cleaning because we were told it would come in by 6 pm and had a 7 pm dinner to go to. I called down to the front desk after 6 pm and they said they would bring our dry cleaning up to us as soon as it was delivered. Around 15 minutes later someone came to our room with our dry cleaning so my husband was able to wear his shirt out to dinner.

Overall, stay was great and would come here again next time we visit Chicago.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Katie K
Dan H, Manager at SpringHill Suites Chicago Downtown/River North, responded to this review, June 30, 2014
Thank you very much for this nice 4-Star review! I am truly glad you enjoyed your stay and we hope we'll get the opportunity to have you back and see if we can give you a 5-Star stay next time!

Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed June 22, 2014 via mobile

Can't beat the location and value. This is walking distance to all the hot spots and shopping. We stayed here two nights for a bachelorette party weekend and it was a good deal. Service was above and beyond... Delightful. We missed breakfast (overslept) after a late night out. The two ladies cleaning up breakfast hooked me up with yogurt and bananas. Free coffee all day. Only downfall was the fridge didn't work in our room. I would stay here again definitely!

Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Emily W
Dan H, Manager at SpringHill Suites Chicago Downtown/River North, responded to this review, June 23, 2014
Thank you so much for the very nice review! I'm glad you enjoyed your stay and the excellent location. I do apologize for the fridge not working in your room. If you ever stay with us again, please let us know if anything is not working in your suite and we'll make sure to have our engineers fix or replace the item. Thanks so much and we hope to see you again!

Indiana
Reviewed June 22, 2014 via mobile

I stayed here with my two children in June 2014. The room was large, with 2 double beds and a pull out couch. The room was very clean. If you need extra towels they bring them right up. There is also a mini fridge and a microwave. The beds were a little small, but there is the pull out couch if needed. Breakfast was very good, and I agree with a previous reviewer that the breakfast lady is excellent and very attentive. The hotel is walking distance to the red line and the station at the merchandise mart ( can't remember which lines that station serves). Also, we tried the restaurant, Hub 51, the first night. The s'mores pie is great. The cheese quesadillas are a little greasy but good. There is a NY deli/ pizza place a short walk away if you exit the front of the hotel and turn left. It was very good for pizza if you get tired of the Chicago style. It is called NYC Bagel Deli. I highly recommend it ( but I grew up in NY so I may be biased). Overall, we enjoyed our stay at this hotel.

Stayed June 2014
2 Thank Tiredmommaindiana
Thank you so much for the very nice 5-Star review! I am so glad you enjoyed your stay here! We aim to be the cleanest and friendliest hotel in downtown Chicago and we hope we lived up to this mission during your stay! As you mentioned, our hotel is very close to some amazing restaurants and I'm glad you enjoyed Hub 51 and NYC Bagel Deli. Thank you again and we hope to have you back soon!

Los Alamos NM
Reviewed June 17, 2014

I have stayed here a couple of times now. It is always enjoyable and the staff is friendly. This time the lady who ran the breakfast bar was wonderful! The world could use more people with her attitude,

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank dwwilburn
Dan H, Manager at SpringHill Suites Chicago Downtown/River North, responded to this review, June 18, 2014
Thank you so much for the nice review! I am so glad you enjoyed your stay with us. Our breakfast attendant is Veronica and she truly is a gem! Thank you for mentioning her and I'll be sure to pass on your comment to her and the rest of our leadership team. Thank you and we hope to have you back soon!

Rockville, Maryland
Reviewed June 9, 2014

This hotel room goes for as much as $500 a night but I got the bargain rate of $229. When I went to start the shower the water from the spigot just shot out from behind but never came through the shower head. Nice to know that I get to go to all day meetings without a shower.
When I told the front desk on checking out the response was "thanks for letting us know-we'll contact engineering right away". No "sorry" - no attempt to even offer a free cup of coffee.
Worst example of customer service I've encountered in years.......

Room Tip: Stay anywhere else but SpringHill River North!
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank DRPMI
Dan H, Manager at SpringHill Suites Chicago Downtown/River North, responded to this review, June 10, 2014
Thank you very much for the information you have passed on. I'm terribly sorry that your shower did not work the morning of your checkout. I'm truly sorry our front desk only thanked you for the information about the shower not working properly so that they could report it to our Engineering department. We have engineers in the building at all times, so if you ever find that something isn't working properly, please contact the front desk right away and we can the problem. Our engineer would have gladly helped fix the shower head in your room to ensure you were able to take a shower that. Our front desk also would have been more than happy to give you a different room to shower in if you were in a hurry and didn't have time to wait.

Our hotel takes great pride in our customer service and we truly aim to be the best in downtown Chicago. I'm sorry you did not have a very nice stay because of the shower. I truly hope the rest of your stay was great and I would really like to have you back at our hotel for another stay. Please reach out to me the next time you are in town and we'll take great care of you.

Evansville, Indiana
Reviewed June 7, 2014 via mobile

The family stayed here 4 nights, T-F, and the experience overall was great. The breakfast was great each morning and the service was excellent from all staff.

We had a 1BR and it was okay. The beds could be more comfortable. By the last night, our backs felt the bed.

The location is in the middle of everything. Within a few blocks of the magnificent mile and a couple miles from the museum campus. It rained the first day so we took a cab to the museums, $12. The rest of the days were beautiful so we walked everywhere. It made us think about living in the downtown of a major city...

Stayed June 2014
2 Thank Xo-Jason
Dan H, Manager at SpringHill Suites Chicago Downtown/River North, responded to this review, June 9, 2014
Thank you for the nice 4-Star review! I am glad you and the family enjoyed the stay at our property! I'm truly sorry the beds were not comfortable enough for you. Please feel free to let the front desk know next time as we have some additional foam toppers for mattresses that feel to firm for our guests. Thank you again and we hope to have you back the next time you visit Chicago!