“Great location, girls weekend”

SpringHill Suites Chicago Downtown/River North
Ranked #46 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed February 24, 2014

Went down to the city for a girls weekend. I asked for early check in and was able to be in my room by 1:15pm. The staff at the front desk was very pleasant and very efficient. Room was clean and very nice. Can't beat the location though. Close to great restaurants and events. Cabs easy to get. We really enjoyed the separate seating area from the beds. Nice not to have to sit on beds and watch TV or talk. I have spent many nights in different hotels around the city and this hotel was one of the quietest I stayed in. NO other room noise and not noise from the room upstairs. It was solid. Had a very nice quiet sleep.
Just a couple of things to keep in mind. This is a BUSY hotel on the weekends it shares the same main floor as the Residence Inn so there is a lot of people milling around downstairs. You have to get ice out of the coolers in the lobby. Not very convenient when you have to wait for the elevators and then get down to the lobby and have to wait for ice because there is none. Lastly, the free breakfast was so crowded and there was no food left (except for a couple English muffins at 9:45am on a Sunday) we just ended up going to the Einstein's bagel that was connected to the hotel for breakfast.
Overall, I would recommend this hotel. It is priced right and it is clean and again great location.

Room Tip: We got a high floor, I would think that is what you would want in any room in a large city. The wind...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
Dan H, Manager at SpringHill Suites Chicago Downtown/River North, responded to this reviewResponded February 25, 2014

Thank you so much much for the very nice 4-Star review! I am so happy to hear you enjoyed your stay! You are correct that this hotel can be very busy at times for breakfast. Our staff does a very good job at refreshing breakfast throughout, so I am very sorry our breakfast items were not refreshed in time during your stay. I am glad the rest of your stay went well and we truly hope to have you back at our hotel the next time you visit downtown Chicago!

AGM

Write a ReviewReviews (1,018)

Reviewed February 18, 2014

This hotel shares one building with Residence Inn. Pictures nice but don't be fooled. The desk attendant "baldy" couldn't suggest any places to eat, "Its Friday and Valentines Day, order carry out. Then started sneezing and said "It's you!" rudely while he backed away.( We found a place with no waiting after stopping at an Irish pub.) Baldy was on the Residence Inn side. I guess I shouldn't have crossed over! The living room was dark. One stand lamp, broken, small frige broken, hide a bed SHOT. (The springs dangling down.) Dirty stained sofa, Lights over beds looked like a hospital room. A large stain on the wall that dripped down towards the bed. Over all a Wonderful location and no bed bugs. Just look out!! The pictures are not what you get.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
Dan H, Manager at SpringHill Suites Chicago Downtown/River North, responded to this reviewResponded February 20, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I'm very sorry you did not enjoy your stay. Each associate lives the mission of being " the cleanest and friendliest hotel in downtown Chicago." I'm very sorry you thought our service was rude. We took great preparation the days prior to Valentines' Day to locate restaurants that had availability this evening. I will be forwarding your comments to our Director of Services, Director of Engineering, and our Front Desk Managers so that we can ensure that every guest has a memorable stay.

Reviewed February 17, 2014

Booked thru springhill hotel website, upgraded to high floor with great view, two double beds. Very nicely decorated and spacious. computer desk with ergonomic chair, pull out sofa sleeper, microwave with sealed paper plates and sealed cutlery, frig, full tub and shower and stool in bath with sink area outside. Loved the lightweight white duvet bed linens and plush bath linens. Loved the floor to ceiling windows and window coverings. Very comfortable. Free wifi. 32" flat screen tv. Many selections at free breakfast: small omelets with salsa, breads, muffins, make your own waffles (with choc chips), yogurt, milk, juices, coffee, dry cereals or oatmeal with walnuts, dried cranberries, honey, brown sugar, fresh fruits, all delicious! Very clean throughout. On site parking ramp at $47 a day and room rate $143, total $190 for a very comfortable stay for my adult daughter and me. Able to walk to concert at House of Blues and to many area attractions and eateries. Only one night, wish we could have stayed two nights.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
Dan H, Manager at SpringHill Suites Chicago Downtown/River North, responded to this reviewResponded February 18, 2014

Thank you so much for the wonderful 5-Star review! I am so happy to hear you and your daughter enjoyed the stay. Our mission at this hotel is to be the "cleanest and friendliest" hotel in downtown Chicago. I had to smile as soon as I read the title of your review! I'll make sure I forward this review to the rest of our staff. Thank you again and hopefully we can have you back soon for that 2-night stay!

Reviewed February 16, 2014 via mobile

Took my 3 kids to the city for a long weekend. Had a king room with a pull out bed. Plenty of room for the 4 of us. Guest services was very prompt when bringing extra blanket, ice, ect. Breakfast was very good. Plenty of choices for even my pickiest eater. Not far from bus stops. Room service could have had more choices, however plenty of good places within walking distance including Ed Debevic's. Would stay here again.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family

Thank you for the 4-Star review! The SpringHill Suites brand definitely does have a great breakfast with very many options. I'm glad to hear you and the family loved the food and your suite was comfortable for your family of four. We hope to have you back again the next time you are in River North area!

Reviewed February 8, 2014

We recently stayed at this hotel for 6 nights. First, the staff was very friendly and helpful with anything we needed. Upon checking in, we were given room 2625, a corner room with a tremendous view. The room was very large with two double beds and a separate living area with a large fold out sofa/bed. There is a swivel flat screen tv that that be pointed towards the bed or towards the living room. There is a small refrigerator as well as a microwave.

The hotel is located within an area with a large concentration of restaurants. All types of food are within easy walking distance.

While the included breakfast buffet was very good, the only negative was the prefabricated, precooked scrambled and fried egg patties which did appear on Sunday morning. These things were just awful and prevent a 5 star rating. The rest of the mornings that we were there, the Buffett had real scrambled eggs.

I would also like to add that a daily rate of $94 in the heart of Chicago (breakfast included) was an exceptional value.

Room Tip: Ask for a high room to help prevent noise from the street. There is a fire station within a couple...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
Dan H, Manager at SpringHill Suites Chicago Downtown/River North, responded to this reviewResponded February 10, 2014

Thank you so much for the very nice review! I'm glad you enjoyed your stay. I'm very sorry you did not like all aspects of the breakfast. We will see what can be done to improve upon this aspect. Thank you again and we hope to have you back soon!

Reviewed February 8, 2014

Nice hotel in a central location in Chicago. I am in the city frequently and enjoy my stays here. The staff is friendly and the rooms are typical for Springhill Suites. Breakfast is well prepared and complete with many choices! Their evening appetizer and snacks are also nice. The fitness center is outstanding! Keep up the great work guys!

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business

Thank you so much for the very nice 4-Star review! I'm very glad to hear you enjoyed your stay! Thank you again and we will look forward to your next stay!

Reviewed February 4, 2014

Stayed at this property Feb 2-4. Great downtown location - walking distance to any type of food you want(although we drove about 4 blks). It seems like a great place to stay in warmer weather because of all the shops and resturants. Check-in was a breeze. Make sure you get the parking garage option when booking this hotel, parking is not the best downtown. Our rooms were very comfortable and each was designed differently. The beds were sink-in for a wonderful nights rest. My only disappointment was the lighting was not designed with the night reader in mind. Instead of a clock radio I would have liked to have a desk lamp between the bed instead of the industrial style fixtures (they were tooooooo bright). All associates were very friendly-front desk, housekeeping and dining room staff etc went out of their way to make sure our stay was awesome. Thumbs up for this location...

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
Dan H, Manager at SpringHill Suites Chicago Downtown/River North, responded to this reviewResponded February 6, 2014

Thank you so much for this wonderful review! I am so glad you enjoyed our hotel's great location. We take great pride in our guest satisfaction and are always looking to be the cleanest and friendliest hotel in downtown Chicago! Thank you for staying with us and we hope to have you back soon!