“Made for a great home base for a birthday weekend”

SpringHill Suites Chicago Downtown/River North
Ranked #55 of 190 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersBronze level
Palatine
“Made for a great home base for a birthday weekend”
Reviewed January 20, 2014

My wife and I ventured to the city from the suburbs to celebrate her birthday. We chose to train to the city and stay there as to fight traffic and sleep for drive home late at night. I booked the room here as the rates were very reasonable, and the reviews were pretty good. We weren't disappointed. The place was contemporary, clean and inviting. Our room was spacious and very comfortable with a sitting area in addition to the bed, always a plus in my book.

Only issue we had, and it's minor, is there was no ice on the floors. Guests have to venture to the lobby where ice is pre-packed in bags in the cooler. A bit of a hassle but not a deal breaker.

The complimentary breakfast in the morning was busy but offered a great number of options, many more than typical of a complimentary breakfast. Overall it's a certain consideration if you're looking for a nice, comfortable, contemporary place in the city that won't break the budget.

Room Tip: Look for a high floor to minimize the noise from the street.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Dan H, Manager at SpringHill Suites Chicago Downtown/River North, responded to this review, January 21, 2014
Thank you so much for staying at our hotel! I am so glad you chose to stay here for your birthday party! I'm glad you enjoyed your get-a-way and happy to hear everything was great! We hope to have you again soon. Thank you and we hope to see you for your next Birthday weekend!

AGM

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (215)
  • Czech first
Toledo, Ohio
Reviewed January 20, 2014

generally...a really great experience at the Springhill Hotel in Chicago. All levels of staff are very friendly and helpful; so many offered and/or did go out of his/her way to help or so concern.
There are a couple situations that could be addressed by management that 'might' make the experience even better!!:
The pool and whirlpool are great, yet well used and often crowed; Extend the pool/whirpool hours
for 'adult only' usage untill 12:00 or 1:00AM; this would allow some adult 'guiet time' and actually swimming; A great pool or whilpool is not worth a customer's time if it can't be used. Besides the crowd, we got back from a play (stared at 8:00PM) and by the time we got back and into the whirlpool we had 8:00 minutes!!! The guard was not open to extending time because it was already 11:05PM

The free computers were great and worked well, except for a couple things: connection directly to the printer needed to be atened to, rather than to files; also, the background 'music' ( more like annoying tone!!!") seemed to be the staple in that environment: if your goal is to limit anyone's time for using the commuter, it worked for me...i couldn't stand it after a
few minutes!

Ambiance could also be enhanced iin our attractive lobby and rest area with a bit more attention to lighting, seating arrangement, and optional agternative 'music'..... relaxing, or upbeat, etc, for the appropriate time of day!

Be Creative with your dedicated staff! Encourage the 'natural' human care for each other and the guests beyond making it one of the 'established' corporate goals. (for example: each hostess/host AND staff member has his/her own 'take' on the 'best' of the environment or 'THE" experience'(S) in Chicago.....Explore with all your staff to find if they have such ideas that may make your visitors know you are going over the top....such as those listed in trip advisor or found with a search of blogs/ sites about Chicago or your River North region..by more personally experienced by your staff and parting guests. i wil start with one that I found, that a host was not familiar with: Use hottix.com to find 1/2 off or spare-of -the-moment
available tickets for various plays/venues. Make a list of such suggestions...similar to how Barnes and Noble lists books recommended by staff. This idea iis partially made to help the gap of 'not having' a hotel concierge ,

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Thank you very much for taking the time to review our hotel! I'm glad you enjoyed your stay. I truly appreciate all feedback from each and every one of our guests. Unfortunately, there is not much we can do for the pool hours. I completely understand why you would like to have extended hours, but we do have to stick to the times of 6:00am - 11:00pm each day. Thank you again for some very insightful recommendations. We'll use your suggestions to see if there are ways of enhancing our lobby. Thank you again and we hope to have you back soon!

Augusta, Georgia
Reviewed January 15, 2014

I travel for work about 40-50 weeks out of the year. I would be considered a professional traveller. Each time i visit Chicago's Loop area, I plan on staying at this hotel. "My Favorites" Hostesses (Ms. Stella, Ms. Holly and Ms Grace) are always very welcoming to me each morning. They create a great enviornment, as I begin my day with the breakfast buffet. They allow me to feel like I am home, away from home.
The front desk representatives carry the same spirit of pleasant customer service. My room is always pleasant and clean. I really enjoy my stays here each week. It makes it easier to travel for work each week. - Eric M.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank Eric M
Dan H, Manager at SpringHill Suites Chicago Downtown/River North, responded to this review, January 17, 2014
Wow! What a truly great review! I am so happy you enjoy your "home away from home" here in River North! I will certainly be sharing your wonderful comments to the entire leadership team and celebrating the great service put on by Stella, Holly, Grace, and our front desk team. Thank you again and we look forward to your trip next week!

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed January 13, 2014

We are residents of Chicago and decided to stay at Springhill Suites when a gas leak forced us to evacuate our home for a week. While a terrible situation for us, all of the staff at the Springhill treated us like family. The Front Desk staff learned our names and greeted us by name every morning and inquired about our home. The staff in the Breakfast Room were amazing. I have 4 sons and getting them up and feed and out to 3 different schools every morning was a challenge. But, Grace, Stella and Holly treated my sons like their favorite nephews and gave me the extra hands I needed to get them all fed and on our way. My sons ran to greet Grace and Stella every morning! The rooms are spacious and very clean. Responses to our needs were immediate. As a resident of Chicago proper for 20 years, this is an excellent location for visitors and reasonably priced. I will recommend it to any friends or acquaintances.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Dan H, Manager at SpringHill Suites Chicago Downtown/River North, responded to this review, January 15, 2014
Thank you so much for this extremely kind review! We are so glad you were able to get back into your house and we truly appreciate you as guests while here for the week. I will be sharing your wonderful comments about Grace, Stella, & Holly to our entire leadership team! Thank you!

Reviewed January 12, 2014 via mobile

The hotel is near the airport but also has a transfer service for the blue line which makes traveling to the city convenient. Referred by the airport accommodations because our flight got canceled due to weather.

There's also a couple of convenience stores nearby which is handy and the outlet stores are nearby. Which came out very useful because our baggage were stuck in the airport.

Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Dan H, Manager at SpringHill Suites Chicago Downtown/River North, responded to this review, January 14, 2014
Thank you so much for choosing our hotel during a stressful time. The 1st week of January was very interesting due to the extreme weather we received in the mid-west. I'm so glad you were able to stay with us. I truly hope the stay was great and hope you were able to get home without any further delay. Thank you again and hopefully we'll get to have you stay here under better circumstances.

Highland Park, Illinois
Reviewed January 1, 2014

This hotel is so close to Michigan avenue and all the shopping you could ask for. Crossing the Chicago River and going south on State street to do even more shopping and going to Millennium Park was an added bonus. Great free breakfast (making my own waffles are my favorite) plus fruit and extras was nice, but get there early, after 9am it could be a long line! The pool and workout room were clean and the city views from the 27th floor are great. Our room was facing west and was probably quieter than the Dearborn (east) side. Staff was friendly and courteous.

Room Tip: Ask for a high room as the elevators are fast and face west. If ambulances or fire trucks drive by...
Green Features: We kept our towels for the three days we stayed. We just hung them on hooks and over the shower rod to dry.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank mark l
Dan H, Manager at SpringHill Suites Chicago Downtown/River North, responded to this review, January 6, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel and thank you for the 4-Star review! I'm glad you enjoyed your stay and it sounds like you had a wonderful weekend shopping. Thank you again and I hope to have you back soon!
Bowling Green, Ohio
Reviewed December 31, 2013 via mobile

We arrived at 12:30 thinking our room might be ready, but it wasn't. The front desk offered to stow our luggage while we enjoyed the city. We left to get some lunch and returned at 2:45 for our 3pm check in. The room was not ready and no time estimate could be given. We strolled down to the Navy Pier and returned at 6pm to find that housekeeping was just finishing our room.

Except for this inconvenience, we enjoyed everything about this hotel. The location is great, the staff friendly and helpful, the room and common areas are clean and the beds comfortable. The kids love the pool on the 27th floor and the complimentary breakfast each morning helps cut down on the cost of meals while vacationing. We have no reason to stay elsewhere when we travel to Chicago.

Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank bedding_down
Thank you so much for the very nice review! I'm very sorry for the delay in your arrival. I appreciate your understanding and we truly will use your comments to get better. Our goal is to get every guest checked in when they first arrive at our hotel. There will be exceptions on our busier days, but we strive to be much faster than what you experienced. Thank you again and I hope to have your back at the hotel soon!