“Nice Stay in a good location.”

SpringHill Suites Chicago Downtown/River North
Ranked #55 of 190 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersBronze level
Detroit, Michigan
“Nice Stay in a good location.”
Reviewed December 27, 2013

We stayed in a king bed suite. The layout of the room is not conducive to using the pull-out couch. With the bed pulled out you could barely walk into the room from the door. We should have booked a double room, oh well lesson learned. That was the only inconvenience. The rooms were decorated in a nice modern look, laminate furniture a little cheap (chipping in places). We had a great view of the city, the floor to ceiling window made me a little uneasy about the height. The pool small for the size of the hotel, but there is so much to do in the city (it didn't seem too busy).

The continental breakfast and breakfast area were very nice. There were lots of choices and it seemed like sufficient seating. Someone was always around to bus the tables and smiling while doing it.

The location was very convenient to transportation and downtown locations.

Room Tip: Try not to rely on the pullout couch it takes up a lot of real estate.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank TRC123434
Dan H, Manager at SpringHill Suites Chicago Downtown/River North, responded to this review, December 30, 2013
Thank you so much for the very nice review! I'm really glad you enjoyed your stay. I'm glad you enjoyed your great view of the city. If you do feel a little uneasy about heights, our front desk team can always try to accommodate requests such as a low floor room. I'm so glad you enjoyed your stay and I truly hope to have you back soon!

AGM

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (214)
  • Czech first
LIncoln
Reviewed December 27, 2013

This was our second stay. Magnificent Mile retail and Christmas lights are just a few short blocks east, so it is a fairly good location. (We loved Giordano's Pizza on Gold Coast, about 7 blocks to the northeast.) We stayed in a double bed room that had a couch with a roll-out. There were only two small drawers, so most of our luggage had to stay in the suitcases. However, the bathroom is decent sized, with the sink outside the toilet and shower room (I give HUGE extra points for this). There is a microwave, coffee maker, and a nice desk set-up. We were on the 8th floor and had to stand by the window to get our cell phones to call out. The fitness center has a few weights, a nice assortment of treadmills and ellipticals, and a great view of the corncob apartments. There are places where the wallpaper is showing some scuffs in the common areas and floor tiles chipped in the elevator, so the hotel is probably about due for a refresh, but the common area with the fireplace and the breakfast bar are awesome and it is a pretty hotel. We were there during a record cold snap and pipes burst and the water was out for a few hours on Christmas day, so they credited half our bill for the night. We would probably stay again.

Room Tip: Ask if there are parts of the hotel where calling out on your cell phone is difficult.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Thank you so much for the very nice 4-Star review! I truly appreciate you staying at our hotel and reviewing your stay with us. I'm very sorry about the water not working during your stay. As you noted, we did have a burst pipe from the extreme cold that created the issue. Thank you again and we truly hope to have you back soon!

lansing,il
Reviewed December 25, 2013

Booked 3 rooms for daughters and families. Upon arrival 1 room was ready which was ok as other 2 parties had not arrived .Upon their arrival a second room was ready within 15 minutes .The 3 rd room was not available for 60 + minutes. All rooms were on the same floor and that was the reason they were,nt ready?Check in was at 3 pm and it was approaching 4 pm . We finally got our 3rd room and all was well. Rooms were very nice, pool and work out area were also very nice although chlorine smell was almost overwhelming.Breakfast was good with lots of choices.We parked 2 blocks away at a spot hero site[$24] as opposed to valet parking [$57].Easy walk to hotel.Overall this is a quality hotel at a reasonable price. Lots of restaurants within walking distance.Close to everything. Other than the check in issues i would recommend this hotel and would stay here again

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank khastings
Thank you for the very nice 4-Star review! I'm really glad you enjoyed your stay. I do apologize that we were not able to get all 3 of your rooms ready when you first checked in. You are correct as to why the other 2 rooms took longer to get ready. Getting multiple rooms next to each other usually will take longer just do to the checkout process. I will be forwarding your comments to our head engineer regarding the chlorine scent in the pool area. I thank you for comments and I truly hope to have you back soon. Thank you and have a great 2014!

Reviewed December 22, 2013 via mobile

We booked two rooms for two nights. We secured a very reasonable rate that allowed us to stay in the heart of Chicago instead of the suburbs like we often do. And this location is equally convenient to The Loop a few blocks south and Michigan Ave. a few blocks east.

I like the contemporary decor and newness of the hotel. The front desk was accommodating in getting our two rooms next to each other. Not all rooms are created equal though. My parents' room - xx23 - had only one window, in the back of the room by the beds, so the living area by the door was quite dark. My family's room - xx25 - was a corner room and situated differently and seemed bigger. We had a little entry way before getting to our living area, and both our living area and sleeping area had windows, so our room was much brighter.

I can usually sleep on any bed but these had a noticeable slope. The head of the bed was higher, then it sloped down. They definitely need better mattresses. Also the full-size bed was way too small for me and my husband - I don't know why hotels bother with beds so small. Queen-sized beds would have been much better.

The hotel pool was super crowded on a Saturday evening - very intimidating for my two children. The adults in our family sat in chairs to watch and we were sweating from the heat in the pool room - warm is nice, but this heat was turned up way, way too hot. And I have never smelled chlorine so strong - it stank terribly. I wonder if it was more than the recommended amount. It was really, really strong. Burned our noses!

Free breakfast is always nice but it was insanely crowded Sunday morning. Most people couldn't get tables. Service was friendly and attentive.

Couldn't figure out housekeeping schedule. She was in my parents' room in the morning as we were leaving. I assumed she'd do our room next since we were next door. Was surprised to return to our room a few hours later to find that our room hadn't been cleaned yet. She came to our room later in the afternoon.

A list of area restaurants would be nice for the front desk to have. We were looking for something quick, casual and quick for our group of six. The front desk clerk didn't have many suggestions.

Parking is inconvenient in that it's not connected to the hotel. It's in a garage around the corner on Kinzie, requiring you to walk outside to get to your car.

Overall, good value for a clean hotel in a convenient location.

Stayed December 2013
Thank you very much for the 4-Star review! I'm glad your overall stay went very well. I'm sorry your bed was perfect for your stay and our team is always available to assist to ensure you stay is comfortable. For next time, our hotel is connected to the parking garage. Please make sure to use the Kinzie elevators and we connect on level 2. I'll make sure our engineers take a look at the pool room for both the temperature and the chlorine level as I know how uncomfortable these can be when you are trying to relax. Thank you again and we hope to see you back soon!

Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed December 16, 2013

Great location for sightseeing and few blocks from subway. Staff was very friendly and attentive. Breakfast was very nice every morning. Rooms were very spacious and bed was comfortable. Overall a pleasant stay - will consider this hotel if we return to Chicago.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Dan H, Manager at SpringHill Suites Chicago Downtown/River North, responded to this review, December 18, 2013
Thank you so much for the very nice 5-Star review! I am so glad you enjoyed your spacious room and that my staff took great care of you. I truly hope to see you back at our hotel the next time you come to Chicago!

Regina, Canada
Reviewed December 11, 2013

At first I was a bit taken back by the lobby until it was noted that you took an elevator up one floor to check in. Staff were very good and competent. Check in went without a hitch. The room while a bit small for 3 grown men worked well. An extra tv would help. Everything was clean and functional. The wine cooler wasn't operating but not sure if it had to be turned on.(not my department) Its location offered a number of venues to walk to. Used the attached parking but was shocked at the daily rate. I guess that this is standard fare for big cities.
Even though there were numerous hotel options I would go back to stay. A breakfast was offered but we did not participate.(over by 9:30 am)

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Dan H, Manager at SpringHill Suites Chicago Downtown/River North, responded to this review, December 16, 2013
Thank you so much for the very nice review! I am so glad you enjoyed your stay and found your over-sized room to be accommodating for 3 grown men. As you noted, our parking fees are in-line with the other area hotels. I'm truly glad to hear you'll be coming back and we look forward to your next stay!

Iowa City, Iowa
Reviewed December 10, 2013

The number one thing I look for in a hotel--above comfort, location, price, etc.--is cleanliness. This place definitely succeeded. Bathroom was spotless and sparkling. Same with microwave oven, under the bed and everything else. Admittedly, the carpet pattern was designed to hide stains, but I didn't find one thing in the room that made me question the cleanliness. That's a rarity. I hope they're commending their housekeeping staff. The bed was reasonably comfortable--nothing exceptional. The word "suite" may be a bit of a stretch, especially if you're traveling with a family. (I wasn't.) Breakfast was very good--fresh strawberries in December is a nice touch. Staff was friendly and very well trained.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
Dan H, Manager at SpringHill Suites Chicago Downtown/River North, responded to this review, December 11, 2013
Thank you so much for this amazing review! We take great pride in our hotel and we strive to be the cleanest and friendliest hotel in downtown Chicago. I am so glad you enjoyed your stay and I hope to see you back soon!