“location above all else”

SpringHill Suites Chicago Downtown/River North
Ranked #65 of 187 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersBronze level
“location above all else”
Reviewed August 5, 2013

the location is excellent and from the $799/night suggested price posted in the room, we also apparently got quite the deal, but even at the lower rate we paid, I'm not sure it was worth the price.

room was basic. comfortable bed. only one nightstand though and no smaller or reading lights. very nice staff and courteous reception. pool and hot tub could've been tended too more frequently than what we experienced.

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank domhnall_kaps
Jon G, Manager at SpringHill Suites Chicago Downtown/River North, responded to this review, August 10, 2013
Thank you for staying with us. We are happy that the location of our hotel was perfect for your visit to Chicago. We also want to thank you for your suggestions also. Our guests help us improve everyday from what they experience. Thank you again for staying with us.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (205)
  • Czech first
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed July 30, 2013

I am growing into quite the fan of Springhill Suites. The rooms are large, clean, good breakfast, friendly staff, and a great price. This particular hotel is also in a great location. You can walk to any type of Chicago food specialty that you want..Chicago Chop House, Geno's East, Portillo's Chicago Dogs....plus, Michigan Ave and Rush a mere few blocks away. If you're there on a family vacation or a "boy's weekend away", I recommend this location.

2 Thank italohio1985
Jon G, Manager at SpringHill Suites Chicago Downtown/River North, responded to this review, July 31, 2013
Thank you for the great review. We are so excited to hear you enjoy the Springhill Suites brand. It is definitely a trendy, modern, and hip brand for our guests. Thank you for staying with us.
Reviewed July 30, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here for business and it was pretty gross. There were house keeping supplies left in the room and the windows and surfaces were pretty dirty. Not sure I would ever come back.

Free lollipops though are great

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank Mbg55amg
I am sorry to hear about your room experience. Cleanliness is our number one priority right next to great customer service. The housekeeping staff are very well trained and are lead by a great group of housekeeping managers. They will definitely be looking into your concerns regarding your room. We pride ourselves on how clean our hotel is on a daily basis. Clean and Friendly is our hotel mission. Thank you again for letting us know about your issues and please give us another chance in the future.
Schaumburg, Illinois
Reviewed July 29, 2013

I have stayed here several times over the past few years and it is my go-to property when staying in the city. It is reasonably priced for Chicago and is in a great location. The rooms are standard of that of a Springhill Suites and clean. It is starting to see some wear and updating should be on radar for the near future. They have a great breakfast (which is included), the pool is small but clean and I have never had a bad experience here. The crowd is mostly tourists with few business travelers and it is attached to a Residence Inn.

Room Tip: The city of Chicago is noisy so try to get a room on a high floor.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Longmich
WOW! We are so excited to be your go to hotel when you come to Chicago. That is exactly what we strive for with all of our guests! We can't wait to have you back. Thank you.
Houston, Texas
Reviewed July 26, 2013

I am a HUGE fan of Spring Hill Suites properties and stay in them as often as I can. As a business travel who is on the road 30+ weeks a year I see the best and worst of hotels across the US.

The GM and Front Desk Manager, Shaun and Sean (I hope I have the spelling correct), should both be fired and banned from working in the hotel business or at least relegated only to managing Motel 6's or the like.

I was staying at this property on business as part of the IFT convention in mid-July. I checked in about 5 PM after a long day of flying and then setting up our booth at McCormick and was ready for a cool room and a nice shower. This is where the fun begins. The AC in room 1926 was not working properly. I called down to the front desk and was told maintenance would be up within 10 minutes. 30 minutes later still no maintenance. I needed to get ready for a friends birthday dinner so I showered. Here's where problem 2 occurs. While in the shower (this was a shower w/out tub) the water was not draining. The shower pan was sloped away from the drain so the water could not go into the drain. When I stepped out of the shower the bathroom was flooded. I figured I would take care of the AC and flooding when I left for dinner. Problem 3 with the room...the iron did not work so I had to wear a wrinkled shirt to the birthday dinner. When I was leaving the hotel I stopped by the front desk to tell them about the problem and was told they would move me to another room on the 22nd floor. I told them I was going to dinner and would move my property from the room when I returned to which they agreed to. I also asked if they were taking the room out of service due to the flooding and AC and was told yes.

Fast forward 45 minutes and my phone rings in the middle of the dinner. It's Sean calling from the hotel telling me they need to move my stuff to the new room so they can clean the out of service room to rent. He said they would move all of my items including dirty clothes and person receipts to the new room and I shouldn't worry. At this point I am flabbergasted that--1) they would have the nerve to interrupt my dinner, 2) they would want to move my personal property without me being there (including dirty clothes), and 3) they would put a room back into service which they knew would flood when someone showered. He told me they were overbooked and needed the room. I relented because I did not want to get into an argument over the phone and spoil my friends dinner.

When I arrived back at the hotel I was not a happy camper. Shaun was working the front desk and I went through the whole process with him. Long story short he apologized and offered to lower my room rate. That's it....lower the room rate. As a Marriott Gold and a fanatical Marriott supporter I was not happy but I figured it wasn't worth arguing with him. If I were in his posiiton I would have comped the room for 1/2 of the nights and given me Marriott Rewards points.

Other than the problems in the first 24 hours the hotel was great. Room 2217 was very nice and had a decent view. The AC worked quite well....in fact it cooled the room off to 64 degrees when set that low.

One compliment I have to give. There is a young lady named Kate or Katie that deserves a compliment. I spoke with her early in the week about storage of frozen items I was receiving by FedEx. She said they would store them in the walk-in they had at the hotel. When the package arrived it went directly into the walk-in as she promised. Excellent work!

Will I stay at the Spring Hill River North again. I might give them an opportunity to re-earn my business, but it would take a significant effort on their part. There are other Marriott properties in the area that I would give the opportunity to have my business.

Room Tip: Choose a high level. THe rooms behind the elevators are actually VERY quiet.
1 Thank DrFood
Dear Guest,
I know Shaun, our front desk manager, reached out to you personally regarding the issues you had with your stay. We apologize once again for the miss-communication and the original issues you had with your room.
St. Catharines, Canada
Reviewed July 23, 2013

Nice clean room, we are a family of 4, we had lots of room to move about. I have stayed at other Springhill Suites and have 2 tv's in the room, this room only had one. Great location, close to a variety of restaurants. Close to bus stop if you choose to do the double decker tour bus. Breakfast was included and was good, staff very friendly and helpful. Would stay here again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Deanne B
Thank you for the great review and we are happy to hear you love the Springhill Suites brand. We are glad to hear your visit to Chicago was great also. Thank you for staying with us.
Houston, Texas
Reviewed July 17, 2013

I spent 3 nights at this property last week as a Marriott Platinum member for business. The hotel is well located and the price is decent for the location.

The Springhill does not have too many business travelers - mostly tourists. The problem I had with my stay was that my room was not very well insulated. I could hear my neighbor talking and in fact they were here as a group so there seemed to be a party going on in their room, in the hallway, knocking on my door. I had to call security twice and they did manage to quiet down my neighbors. It seems like the gap between the front door and the floor is too large which adds to the noise.

If you are a business traveler, this property does not have Executive Floors which lends itself to this type of noise.

Also, the bed is not nearly as comfortable as say a Courtyard or Renaissance which is where I am this week. No lush mattresses, soft sheets or fluffy pillows. However, I do like the design of the room - I think they go for a contemporary look and the bathroom is just a shower stall, not a tub but I tend to like that design better. In addition, there was a mini fridge and microwave in my room. However, no in room safe.

They do not have an Executive Lounge for Platinum members. WIFI is complimentary for everyone. I do wish there was complimentary water.

The front desk people are pretty friendly. In fact, the gentleman who checked me in remembered my name. If they could insulate the rooms better, I would have given them 4 stars out of 5.

1 Thank PandaHouston
Jon G, Manager at SpringHill Suites Chicago Downtown/River North, responded to this review, July 19, 2013
Thank you for the review. I am glad to hear your stay was enjoyable besides the noise issues you experienced. However, I am glad our security was on it right away. The select service Marriott brands don't have executive floors for our high elite members. Usually floors like this are blocked off at full service hotels. About 40% of our guests that stay at our hotel are Platinum Marriott guests. Therefore, sectioning off floors can be difficult at times. We are looking into more ways to satisfy our Platinum elite members and the bottled water could be an option for us. Thank you again for your feedback.