“Can you hear me now?”

SpringHill Suites Chicago Downtown/River North
Ranked #52 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed April 23, 2013

The price was hard to beat. The rooms are adequate, but sparsely/cheaply furnished and utterly charm free. The breakfast is a nice touch. Staff are extraordinarily friendly and helpful (the best part of staying here in fact). Guest-room windows are large, which is a good thing because unless your face and phone are pressed up against one, forget about a working mobile phone connection. We had two different phones with two different service providers and neither could get reception even two feet (literally, I measured) away from the window. Location is OK for some decent restaurants and the "splendor" of the north loop, but if you're in town for the finer things in life, it's a good seven to 10 blocks hike (that's close to a mile) to the very best shopping on Michigan Avenue. Just saying. I chose this hotel because it was $20 less than its sister Marriott next door. (And I got what I paid for.) I might stay here again if the price was dramatically lower ($80 to $100 less) than other comparably budget-minded choices (Holiday Inn, for example), but personally I'll spend more next time for something with a few more touches of comfort/convenience/class.

Room Tip: Make sure you have a window. You won't be able to use your mobile phone without one.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Jon G, Manager at SpringHill Suites Chicago Downtown/River North, responded to this reviewResponded May 3, 2013

Thank you for the review. Glad to hear the service was the best part of your experience with us. I am sorry to hear your cell phone reception was weak in your room. I know with all the high rise concrete buildings around the signals can get weak.

Reviewed April 22, 2013

I pretty much lived in this hotel for 7 months last year, b/c of my consultant job. Even though Springhill Suites has the reputation of being a lower end Marriott, this hotel is new and has a very modern look to it. Its walking distance from Navy Pier, Magnificent Mile, lots of popular restaurants and its directly across from the House of Blues. It is attached to the restaurant Hub 51 so it offers room service at a reasonable price. Its also attached to a Residence Inn, so if I had a problem with my room, a few times they gave me a free upgrade to the Residence. The only issue I had, was that rooms with double beds tend to get terrible cell phone reception. It has something to do with the direction these rooms are pointed at (that's what I was told at the front desk). Soo, I would have to go to the lobby to take some of my calls.

2  Thank Lisa J
Jon G, Manager at SpringHill Suites Chicago Downtown/River North, responded to this reviewResponded April 23, 2013

Thank you for the review. Glad to hear your stay was great. Thank you for your loyalty also.

Reviewed April 20, 2013

This is a nice hotel that unfortunately has a club downstairs. We are on the 9th floor, it is 1am, and we cannot sleep because the music is SO LOUD! I called down to the desk and they offered us another room, but packing back up and moving rooms at 1am is a joke. Perhaps they should warn customers about the weekend noise or offer the rooms at a discount and disclose the reason for the rate. I am exhausted and just want to sleep! Furious is an understatement. If you stay here, be sure to ask for a room away from the noise. Will not stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2013

Thank you for the review. I apologize for the noise you experienced from the night club near by. We are in the process of addressing this issue with the owners and managers of that night club. Everyday we are always 110% focused on providing the best service and accomodations for our guests. And it upsets us when an external issue effects the experience one of our guests has at our htoel. We are addressing this noise issue and hope to have resolution soon.
Thank you for letting us know how your stay was.

Reviewed April 12, 2013

I've stayed here a few times and it is a good value for this class of hotel, and for being in downtown Chicago. Rooms are updated, clean, and spacious. Self parking is attached (which is not always the case in downtown Chicago), and valet parking is very handy as well. This property actually shares a main entrance with the Residence Inn by Marriott, but once you step off the elevator the Springfield Suites lobby is to the left, and the Residence Inn is to the right.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
Jon G, Manager at SpringHill Suites Chicago Downtown/River North, responded to this reviewResponded April 16, 2013

Thank you for the review. We always like hearing from our regular guests.

Reviewed April 11, 2013

This is a new property. It offers a great location. Easy access to restaurants. You can walk to the pier.

I found the staff to be helpful and pleasant. The GM sent a note checking in after our stay to see how things were - a nice touch.

My daughter and I had a great time. I plan to go back.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for the review. We are excited to hear your stay was great. We enjoyed having you stay with us. Thank you again.

Reviewed April 11, 2013

I was in Chicago on business and decided to stay an extra day to sight see. I had to leave the Marriott down the street as they were full so I found the Springhill available. I was really impressed and delighted to find this property available and will consider them for future stays. The property is split between a Residence Inn and Springhill Suites with the building sharing a lobby area. The front desk was able to check me in early and I was able to get settled. The neighborhood is fantastic and I had an awesome view of the lake and Wrigley Building. The room was clean and comfortable.

There were some groups in the building who were less than courteous but that is no fault of the hotel. It's a really great hotel and one that provides all you need while in Chicago.

Room Tip: I was lucky to get a room high up and had a great view.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo

What a great review. We are excited to hear everything went well and that you had a chance to check out the city. It was our pleasure to serve you.

Reviewed April 10, 2013

My husband had meetings in Chicago so we chose the Springhill Suites because of it's location and the availability of Government rates. Check in went smoothly and our room had a great view. Breakfast was wonderful and made even better by one of the very attentive staff. Now comes the issue. I know it was the end of spring break and the hotel was quite busy. On Sat. my husband and I left the room about 8am and returned about 2:30 pm and our room was not cleaned yet. I went down to the desk and asked for our room to be made up. I left the hotel and returned an hour later, but still no service. I went down again and asked the staff again to have the room cleaned. I was told that they were busy, which I understood and that it was out of her hands because she had called it in an hour ago. I then mentioned that my husband is a Marriott Platinum member and in all the times we have stayed in Marriott's this has never happened to us. Let me say that my husband stays at every level of hotel that Marriott offers. Our room was finally done at 4:30. On Sunday we again left the hotel early and came back after 3pm and it was a repeat of Saturday. Back down to the desk I went again and asked for housekeeping to clean our room. It was finished by 4pm this time. I was told that if we wanted our room cleaned early that we should stop by the desk and let them know. Tis has never happened at any other Marriott. The housekeeper did a great job once she arrived, so I blame this on the supervisor who should keep control over this. We did receive a phone call that evening to apologize and ask if there was anything else they could do. On Monday morning which was the day we were checking out a knock came at the door at 8am asking if we would like our room done. I explained that we were checking out that day. My husband and I are happy with a clean room and a pleasant staff during our stay. I am a nurse which is the ultimate service industry. I am used to helping to detail rooms when a new patient is coming in, so I understand. The only other complaint was when my husband and another gentleman were trying to work out in the exercise room, unattended children between 7 and 12 kept letting themselves into the room and getting on the equipment and one child even fell off the treadmill because she set it at such a high speed. I did mention that he or the other man should have called the front desk and made them aware. I don't expect just because my husband is Platinum that we should be treated any differently than any other customer.

Dear Guest,
Thank you for the review. We will look more into the housekeeping issues you experienced. I am glad to hear everything else was great. We appreciate the loyalty your husband has for Marriott and we are glad to serve all of our guests. Thank you again for taking the time to let us know how your stay was this past week.