“Terrible” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #54 of 631 things to do in Chicago
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: The Adler has a prime location on the lake, but keeps its eyes on the stars.
Useful Information: Activities for young children
Nashville, Tennessee
“Terrible”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 1, 2010

We just got back from a long weekend in Chicago. We got a city pass so we decided to hit as many museums as possible. We went to the Adler on Sunday. Thank God we saw that on Sunday you could park at the meters and not pay the $$$ to park all day. We went in, gave our tickets and they handed out these small lame orange tags that you were some how supposed to attach to your clothing and NOT lose...yah right....change to a bracelet people!! We were looking around for the "things to see" and there were some pictures on the walls and nothing much to see. We went to one of the "most popular" "movies" --- it was SOOOO boring and dizzying. Imagine a REALLY boring science class. Not to mention a muslim employee loudly picking a fight with some muslim patrons who supposedly didn't give an appropriate muslim reply. Awkward! All the other places on the city pass were great....DO NOT waste your time or money to go to this place.

• Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Northern Illinois
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 59 helpful votes
“Great if you're into stars & science, but it's small.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2010

We went here only because it was included on our citypass. It is small, but has a lot of nice exhibits and a great view of the lake. Our daughters, ages 10 & 13, were so-so with the experience. My husband loves all things science & space related - so he really enjoyed it. We spent about 2.5 hours and saw 1 show but did not get through all exhibits. We could have spent more time, but they close at 4:30. We had spent the morning at Shedd, so this was a nice way to end the day. It was relaxing after dealing with the crowds at Shedd, but it is layed out really bad - very confusing. However, every staff member we saw was extrememly helpful. And they were plentiful, so all you had to do was ask for directions and they'd point you the right way. One time we just looked a bit confused and a staff member stopped to ask if we needed help. I would suggest paying the cheaper price for just the exhibits if you're not into space and maybe skip this if you have younger children. But if you have a citypass this makes for a great day with Shedd. And just walking on Museum campus along the lakeshore is an experience in itself. We had 2 movies with citypass, but we only did one - Journey to the Stars. It was neat on the dome screen, but I would have rather skipped it and looked at more exhibits since we were limited on our time.

Burlington, Canada
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Fun for astronomy lovers”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 30, 2010

I found the planetarium to be quite interesting. It's not a large museum however, you can go through it in about 2 hours. The entrance only lists the $27 ticket including the exhibit and two shows, but you can get the $10 exhibit only ticket if you ask. They'll also mention (not mentioned on the website I think) that you can do 1 show+exhibits for $20. I did that due to time constraints, although I regret not seeing 2 shows. I asked for show recommendations and they recommended Journey To The Stars as their most popular show, but couldn't recommend a 2nd one. I loved the sky show in the Definiti theatre - it's a theatre where you look up at a dome in the roof. I didn't get what the Atwood experience was, I saw the sphere but there didn't seem to be tours or anything.

1 Thank xiastis
Barrie, Canada
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 65 helpful votes
“Good for the little ones.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 8, 2010

We visited the Planetarium as part of the Chicago City Pass. It was good, but we expected more. The exibits were small, you could zoom through the place very fast. You had a choice of two movies 3D and the dome (which was awsome). My husband fell asleep during the 30min 3D movie. You are able to choose two features from a list of 10 or more movies to see. We enjoyed the whole planetarium experience as our children have never been to one, but noone was overly excited about it or the exibits. I would recommend it for families with small kids to play around on the "play moon", but for adults it was rather boring...unless you are interested in that kind of stuff.

2 Thank Amula
Westerville, OH
83 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 102 helpful votes
“Fun!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2010

I had a great time here! We saw two star shows and we walked around and saw the exhibits. We were very pleased with what we saw and what we learned. We did this as part of the City Pass. That was a bargain and we definitely enjoyed ourselves.