“There are better things to see...”
Review of Adler Planetarium

Ranked #55 of 681 things to do in Chicago
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: The Adler has a prime location on the lake, but keeps its eyes on the stars.
Useful Information: Activities for young children
Reviewed January 17, 2014

It had been a long time since I had visited the Adler Planetarium since I was a young teenager and since my husband hadn't been there in a long time either we decided to make a day of it. We got there around 11 it was pretty empty as it was a weekday. We got our passes and time for a show and proceeded on in. Little did we know as we walked around that we had walked the entire exibits in about 45 min and we had a hour and a half to waste till the sky show. So we walked around again tried our hands at some of the interactive portions that were working. After 20 min we went and sat by the benches to wait for the sky shown. The sky show was the most interesting part of the entire trip.

Overall do not waste to much time here its great for a quick visit but other than that not really worth it. Also it'd be nice if the sky shows were spaced closer together since there isn't much to see in the actual museum.

3  Thank Arsine A
Write a ReviewReviews (1,772)

Reviewed January 12, 2014

I was quite disappointed with the Adler Planetarium. 90% of the exhibits in the Planetarium are aimed at children and those who travel without children will have their intelligence insulted.
The only redeeming feature of the Planetarium are the video shows on the Planetarium roof which are live narrated.

If you are visiting this attraction without children, give it a clear miss.
If you are visiting this attraction with young children (say 5-12 years old) then they will have a good time.

4  Thank needs2escape
Reviewed January 12, 2014

I went with a large group and we were able to see a sky show and walk around a bit. When we came out, it was very windy on our walk to what I believe was the Shedd but I'm not sure. It got so windy that our group had to hold onto all the small people, myself included! It was a very Chicago experience for us.

Reviewed January 7, 2014

My husband and I enjoyed using our CityPass to visit the Planetarium. I am not a huge space/science lover, but still enjoyed this visit. We really enjoyed that a movie and the Atwood Sphere experience was included with our pass. We didn't need a lot of time here, so it's probably best it was part of our pass. Otherwise, I would probably bypass this on my trip, but that's just my opinion. If you like space and really get into that, it is a neat thing to see.

Reviewed January 5, 2014

I've gone here a couple of times since I moved to Chicago and the displays and the interactive exhibits are very good if you are a child but the most of the things to see are directed at children.

I don't mean to say it is bad by any terms but if you are a child you will enjoy it, the same way adults will enjoy the Art institute.