“Explore the Planetarium”

Ranked #85 of 688 things to do in Chicago
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: The Adler has a prime location on the lake, but keeps its eyes on the stars.
Useful Information: Activities for young children
Reviewed October 9, 2013

I visited Adler Planetarium on Museum Day with sponsored ticket from Smithsonian Magazine. While it is the first planetarium in western sphere, it is still kind of modern for the architecture for the building, especially the dome. They have various telescopes, some of which you can take peek at it to see the "moon". The hot spot for the kids is that simulation for the strike of meteor. It needs wait for two minutes to make a shot. The most challenge one is the space landing game. You become a pilot of space craft and need control the joystick to make a smooth landing. I observed and tried, found that few of us amateurs had successfully land the vehicle. I will try again next time.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,806)
All reviews
in 106 reviews
"telescope"
in 93 reviews

Reviewed October 6, 2013 via mobile

The Adler is steeped in history and a great way to spend Sunday. I especially enjoyed the Jim Lovell exhibit and his Apollo 13 trip. The setting of the area alone is worth the visit on a peninsula with great views of Chicago. Pack a picnic on a nice day and sit out by on the point by the observatory. I recommend you get the ticket extra for the 100 year old Atwood Sphere.

Reviewed October 5, 2013

It was a good place, was not that great as other reviewers said. Based on reviews, my wife and I decided to buy the 'Night Sky Live'show which was an additional 10$ per ticket. The narration was done by a white lady. It wasn't great at all. It was a waste of money. I probably should have gone for a movie presentation instead of a live narration. The planetarium in general was alright. I had been to Smithsonian Air museum and that was way better. I know the comparison is not apples to apples. However, having been to Smithsonian 2 months ago followed by the visit to Adler maybe the reason why i wasn't thrilled. I had high expectations when i bought tickets for Night Sky Live. I was very disappointed by that narration. There was some exhibits about Human Space missions, but not a lot. The Universe, Explanation of planets , moon, meteorites were good. Mars Rover exhibit was good to see, would have been better if there were more info about the Curious rover.
The exterior location is GREAT. Nice place to see the Chicago skyline. A very good place to take some beautiful photos.
Use Bus# 146 to get here...We were BOA account holders and hence we got a free basic pass first week of Oct, but it did not have a show ticket which I purchased separately.

Reviewed September 27, 2013

I have not been to Adler Planetarium in over 25 years, and after spending a day there recently, I am in awe in what we experienced!! From being in the oldest planetarium that is housed there, to seeing the Land Rover exhibit, and see all the astronomy tools, plus so many new and hands on exhibits. The highlight of our day and I highly recommend this is "Cosmic Wonder"!! This show left me breathless!!! I wish we could have seen it again before we left!!! The cafe area offers tasty food and treats and a beautiful view of the lake and city!! There are telescopes to see further and can also go out in the veranda. If you haven't been to, or thought of Adler as just a boring place, please go visit!! It is an amazing and wonderful learning experience for young and old!!