“Fun time for astronomy buffs” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #53 of 631 things to do in Chicago
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: The Adler has a prime location on the lake, but keeps its eyes on the stars.
Useful Information: Activities for young children
Taipei, Taiwan
22 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“Fun time for astronomy buffs”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 25, 2013

I went with my brother who is an avid astronomy buff. Definitely an all day attraction as there are quite a few exhibits. On the day we went, there were astronomers from local universities talking with visitors so we had a nice opportunity to hear all about their work. If you are interested in astronomy at all then I recommend this museum. I learned quite a bit from the exhibits. I would recommend eating before you go inside because the food is overpriced, just like every other museum I've been to. The view, however, is spectacular and after you leave the planetarium I would recommend walking along the lake and enjoying the cool breeze and wonderful view.

Visited July 2013

• Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Chandler, Arizona, United States
108 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 95 helpful votes
“Great for Science Buffs”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2013

Visited the Planetarium while visiting Chicago. My wife and I found this musuem very small and could have been skipped. If you have an interest in astronomy, this could be very interesting. There were several exhibits that were great including the meteor impact simulator.

Springfield, Missouri
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Lost in the Stars”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2013

You need to be in the museum mindset to enjoy Adler Planetarium. This is not an attraction you can rush through and still enjoy. I started watching a movie the planetarium offered, it was wonderful! The screen was projected on a dome like ceiling so I truly felt as if I were up lost in the stars. This was probably my favorite part, so don't skip the movie! Afterward I was spent a couple of hours roaming through the exhibits. There is a lot to see and take in. I ate at the cafe, which was overpriced, but good. Plus the view over the Lake was worth taking in. The planetarium would be a great place for families to visit, but I enjoyed it solo as well. Go with an open mind and get lost in the stars!

14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 53 helpful votes
“Great for a school trip, but nothing more”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2013

On our trip to Chicago, we bought the city pass. We chose the planetarium over the art institute just to do something different. Not the right move. We did this whole place in 30 minutes. The video they showed put us to sleep-- literally. As a teacher, this place would be great to take students, but nothing more. For those who buy the city pass-- use this selection for the Art Institute!

Visited July 2013
1 Thank Dmama1314
Wyandotte, Michigan, United States
22 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“Overpriced, poor service”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2013

Luckily we purchased admission as part of the CityPass. If we had paid full price for admission, I would have asked for a refund. The staff stood around and talked among themselves instead of helping guests. We were not able to see a show due to poor signage and lack of direction from staff. Overall, it is a nice place, but overpriced and the staff needs customer focused training.

1 Thank Louis D