“Educational and Entertaining”

Ranked #55 of 671 things to do in Chicago
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: The Adler has a prime location on the lake, but keeps its eyes on the stars.
Useful Information: Activities for young children
Reviewed April 12, 2011

The Planetarium keeps up on the times. The staff is friendly, exhibits are updated, and has a learning for all levels of interest.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,753)

Reviewed April 5, 2011

We took our 2 boys, ages 7 & 9, for their first trip to the city. We all picked out where we wanted to visit. 9 yr old and my husband really wanted the Planetarium. Not entirely my thing, so I did not have high expectations, and the Adler met them! However, my husband and 9 year old were thoroughly disappointed in the experience and we will not return. I fell asleep during the movie!
A prime location on the lake and it seemed like there could have been so much more they could do with the Planetarium and are missing the opportunity to make this a fun/interactive place.

Reviewed March 29, 2011

I am very interested in space, our solar system, the sky and Adler definitely did a great job bringing all those things to me.
I got a great understanding and the staff was able to help me a lot on specified questions. I loved the interactive tours and the great sky cinema.
Unfortunately a lot of the inventory is old-fashioned, but they are working on it, the upper floor is being renovated in the moment.
It was great to see, that such a big museum had the time to individually communicate with single visitors. The stuff was very kind and well informed. I should mention that i did not visit the museum in prime time, so they might have less time for you if you do.
There was one small observatory in which a lift would bring you in, I had the pleasure to enjoy this all by myself and so I enjoyed a lot of personalized information.

Reviewed March 1, 2011

As a lover of science and astronomy, I was super excited to visit the planetarium. We came on a free day, which turned out to be a good thing. If I would have paid to get in I would have felt misled and very disgruntled. The exhibits were obviously geared toward children, and there really wasn't much to the exhibits. The entire place was overrun with loud kids, it was small, and not really engaging. We couldn't wait to leave. If you have children, this may be fun for them, but it is definitely not geared toward adults.

Reviewed February 24, 2011

On our trip to Chicago we decided to visit the Adler planetarium. I have never been to a Planetarium before and have a love of science and the universe so I thought that the Adler would be a fun time. I am glad I visited on a free day. The museum is small and geared only towards upper grade school or middle school students. There is not much for anyone else out side of this demographic. The view of the city from Adler is better than the museum itself. The Adler would be better suited as a wing in the museum of science and industry.