“T Rex!”

Ranked #45 of 705 things to do in Chicago
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: One of America's premier natural history museums, the Field's "Live over Time" exhibit now houses "Sue," the largest and most complete Tyrannosaurus rex ever discovered.
Reviewed September 11, 2017 via mobile

You must go see the almost perfect T. rex they have inside the main entrance. The exhibits are all very interesting. It's a little musty smelling inside so be prepared. More dinosaurs on the top floor. Gems, plants birds and many many African animals.

Write a ReviewReviews (7,790)
All reviews
in 160 reviews
"general admission"
in 86 reviews

Reviewed September 11, 2017 via mobile

I love history and being so close and in person to real, ancient history was amazing! We saw several exhibits like Ancients Americans, Asia, Ancient Egypt and of course Sue. We saw the Galapagos 3D experience. The staff were great and stationed several places to share info and answer questions. I saw families eating in a little cafe downstairs with packed lunches and also visited the restaurant they have. The food wasn't that good but it was easy and convenient. It's cafeteria style. FREAT experience to see all of the history. It's a huge place so give yourself plenty of time.

Reviewed September 11, 2017 via mobile

This is what the Night at the Museum is based off of. We got to see the T-Rex skeleton which was awesome! There were so many different things to see. I enjoyed the Egyptian section the most. We were able to watch a historical video on Egypt due to the City Pass.
It was very clean facility. There was a good cafe.

Reviewed September 10, 2017

We tried to take a CTA bus here and the driver randomly dumped us off near Balbo and Michigan Ave and said it was end of the line with no explanation. So we wound up walking most of the way to the museum. It's a doable walk and there is lots to see if you're so inclined. We went in on a Thursday morning with CityPass and so basically got right in. The lady who processed our admission did an exceptional job giving us instructions and directions.

All that being said, I'm just not a big museum guy. My wife took tons of pictures. I took two. We saw the special exhibits on Specimens, Tattoos, and China. We didn't pay the extra for Jurassic World. We did see a free 3D film that was included with the CityPass (Galapagos). It seemed like pretty speculative science and also I fell asleep.

It wasn't a bad experience by any means. If you're getting the CityPass anyways, it's worth 3-4 hours just to see what they've got. But it doesn't rank anywhere near the top of my favorite Chicago experiences.

1  Thank 303Seth