“Loved the Real Pirates Exhibit”
Review of The Field Museum

Ranked #40 of 684 things to do in Chicago
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: One of America's premier natural history museums, the Field's "Live over Time" exhibit now houses "Sue," the largest and most complete Tyrannosaurus rex ever discovered.
Reviewed September 9, 2009

We visited this museum primarily for the "Real Pirate" temp. exhibition, this was VERY good and we enjoyed it very much. The pirate exhibition told a very interesting story very lively. They also had many original pieces on display, including the ONLY treasure ever found. It was the highlight of our experience at the museum. We paid $8 extra to see this exhibition and it was worth it. I’d say Sunday is the best day to visit (be there before 11am). We were there on Saturday and the lines were soooo long, so we returned on Sunday. It’d only take about 15 minutes to get in. Wear comfy shoes, this museum is really big! :)

1  Thank Besitos22
Write a ReviewReviews (7,467)
All reviews
in 180 reviews
"few hours"
in 161 reviews

Reviewed July 28, 2009

This museum has some interesting exhibits, but it is not worth the price you pay. Most of the museum is stuffed animals. I would rather visit a zoo and see live ones instead of those killed in the wild and stuffed. Of course, this practice has long been discontinued here, fortunately. The museum was started in 1893 and the current site opened in 1921. Also, I have heard that they have only 3% of their collection on display at one time. Is it all stuffed animals? Surely, they have something more interesting. If so, they should dust it off and get it out. Despite this, the museum has some interesting exhibits like that Egyptian section, Native American section, and of course the dinosaurs. The special exhibits, like the one on pirates and water, look interesting, but they are not part of the regular admission. I believe the regular admission is overpriced at $15 per person. You start adding on the special exhibits and the ticket is around $30 per person. If you like looking at stuffed, dead animals, this is the place for you. Otherwise, I would suggest saving your money and going to the Lincoln Park Zoo, which is free and the animals are alive. If Field made the special exhibits part of the regular admission, I think it would be a descent value.

Reviewed July 22, 2009

We went primarily for the Egyptian exhibition, this was very good. They have partly reconstructed a old tomb, this was a interesting to go through. We also saw the "Real pirates" temporary exhibition and " Ancient Americas". We enjoyed both very much. The pirate exhibition told a catching story very lively. I would think that this exhibit is good for children as well.

We were at the museum at 11, and stayed until closing at 5. I think what we saw was under half of what the museum has to offer, you should go early to be able to get the full benefit for the entrance fee.

There is a lot of children, but the exhibitions is in general not suited for children to my opinion, and I noticed many children getting bored. You should probably try other museums if you are traveling with children, many we visited were much more suitable.

I would recommend to visit the museum as a must see, for the historically interested when visiting Chicago.

1  Thank af01
Reviewed July 6, 2009

Do not sleep in! I arrived shortly after opening and experienced a relatively quick entrance. Approximately 1 1/2 hours later the lines were VERY long. My primary interest was in the Egyptian exhibit and it was quite good. I do however wish that school age children would be better prepared for their experiences at the Field. Since there are quite a few bodies in the exhibit, it seems some reverence or respect should be displayed. This is not the case as the children scream and dash all over the place. It definitely put a damper on my experience. The North American Indian area was also interesting with very large totem poles and center house poles. As the children raced through here, I'm not sure what they really experienced. It seems like the trips would be better utilized by choosing an area or two and doing a little more in depth viewing. I am a former teacher and when we arrived at the dinosaur area, their excitement and exclamations were fun and appropriate.

See more reviews
Reviewed June 30, 2009

We took our 2 year old and 6 year old to the Field Museum. We parked down on Adams in a parking garage and walked through Grant Park on the way to the Museum. Here is my review of the exhibits we paid to see.

Water - NOT worth it for kids. There is nothing in there for them to do and it costs extra, save your money.

Pirates - Go EARLY and get in here first. You can NOT bring your stroller into this exhibit and they don't tell you that when you buy the ticket. Pick a time NOT when your child is napping. Really cool, but not so great for small kids.

Underground Adventure - more kid friendly with Honey I Shrunk the Kids feel. Still not tons of stuff for them to do, but at least mine weren't asking to leave.

Here is the stuff included in general admission:

Kids Area - on ground floor. REALLY COOL for little ones. Bummer is that the last entrance is at 3 pm.

Nature Walk - 6 year old really liked this

3  Thank hhurey

Been to The Field Museum? Share your experiences!