“Exactly What a Museum Should Be” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #9 of 631 things to do in Chicago
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: One of America's premier natural history museums, the Field's "Live over Time" exhibit now houses "Sue," the largest and most complete Tyrannosaurus rex ever discovered.
35 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 26 helpful votes
“Exactly What a Museum Should Be”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 7, 2014 via mobile

The Field is freaking huge and stuffed full of cool stuff. It has all the old school cases of artifacts and stuffed animals, but they've also incorporated some modern technology. My 3 year old loved pressing all the buttons for the multimedia stuff, but he was actually most enchanted by the animal dioramas and the mummies.
We did the Worlds Fair Exhibit last and I wish we would have done it sooner as my son was worn out by that point and we ended up rushing a bit.
The first time I went my brother ended up wondering off and getting lost in the crowd (it was June there was a huge crowd; whereas today there weren't too many people.). By the time we found him my mom was ready to go and we missed about half the museum. This time I think we saw about 75% of it. One day I'm going to go by myself and actually see the whole place without rushing.

1 Thank Jamie C

• Turkish first
Cleveland, OH
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 32 helpful votes
“You could spend all day...”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 4, 2014

It was cold and snowy so we spent the day at the field museum. We did the complete pass that included a 3d movie and all exhibitions. I hesitated at purchasing, but the 3D movie on the ice age was really interesting and made the dinosaur area of the museum that much more relevant. The place is huge and you could spend all day here. I love the book Devil and the White City and so really enjoyed the world's fair exhibit. It is amazing all that was at the fair and I didn't realize this was the start of the Field Museum.. We only got to about half the exhibits and that was with casual reading of the display.

2 Thank clevelander4
Rock Island, Illinois
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Paradise for the inner nerd.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 3, 2014

I enjoyed this place so much I nearly forgot I was not a kid anymore. The sheer volume of information stored here, all accessible, is immense. You could spend hours scrutinizing the fine details of every exhibit, and there are MANY exhibits. The latest, the only that I had not seen before (I frequented the museum as a child) details the Chicago World's Fair of 1893, and was astounding. This exhibit doubles as a history of the museum, and I could not have been happier to walk through it. This is history you can touch and feel, made simple enough that children can enjoy it, but complex enough that adults are left with much to think about. I even traveled here alone, and never once did I feel out of place. I cannot wait to return.

Eau Claire, Wisconsin
154 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 56 helpful votes
“Great -- except for exhibits with burned-out light bulbs”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 30, 2014

We have been to the Field Museum many times and always love it. The Evolving Planet exhibit with the amazing dinosaur and other fossils is the best! Normally I would rate five stars but many of the exhibit cases had burned out bulbs, especially in the Egyptian area. You could barely see the artifacts or read the notes. Also wondering about the Plant Hall...seemed like half of the tree specimens were missing. I know the museum is always undergoing renovation but don't take the good things away without an explanation.

The Field Bistro (cafe) is wonderful. Everything we had was delicious: butternut squash soup, burger, raspberry brownie, coffee. Nice menu.

Visited January 2014
Kalamazoo, Michigan
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Great Family Visit”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 26, 2014

We love to visit Chicago whenever we get a chance. This latest visit included a walk through the Field Museum. The pricing was a little bit tricky with all the different package bundles offered on the website. For just a little bit more $$, you get a lot more access to special exhibits. We were able to enjoy a 3D film about Ice Age Mammoths, which my young kids really enjoyed. All things considered, this visit was wonderful. They even had a coat check.

Visited November 2013