“One of the more interesting museums”
Review of The Field Museum

Ranked #37 of 643 things to do in Chicago
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: One of America's premier natural history museums, the Field's "Live over Time" exhibit now houses "Sue," the largest and most complete Tyrannosaurus rex ever discovered.
Reviewed July 23, 2013

I definitely think this is one of the more interesting museums in Chicago. I left with a lot more to see, there's if I remember correctly 4 or 5 different "levels" and after being there for about 4 -5 hours we didn't get to finish everything. I loved the 9/11 memorial and exhibit, it was really heart wrenching to relive that and see the kind of photos, flyers, voice recordings, from that day that never made it into the media.

Write a ReviewReviews (7,997)
All reviews
in 67 reviews
"shedd aquarium"
in 160 reviews

Reviewed July 22, 2013

Anywhere you wander in the museum, you come upon amazing exhibits of our past - dinosaurs, mummys and ancient caves. Plan to spend lots of time.

Reviewed July 22, 2013

My son and I had about 4 hours free in Chicago, and we went to The Field Museum. He's 13, but since about age 3 he's been talking about going to The Field because he's always loved dinosaurs. And since that young age, he's known they have Sue, the most complete T. Rex skeleton in the world.

So we finally got to go. You can imagine how this museum was built up in his mind for 10 years. You'd expect a big letdown, but NO! He LOVED the museum, as did I.

The dinosaur exhibits (not just Sue) were incredible, rivaling the Smithsonian's collection. We came for the dinosaurs, but we loved everything we saw.

We ran out of time and so we were disappointed. If we're ever back in Chicago, we're heading straight back to The Field Museum.

Reviewed July 22, 2013

With family friendly prices, informative employees walking around everywhere with really tall "Ask Me" signs, wonderful bathroom, and Sue, what more could you ask for? We loved our visit here! It was the highlight of our Chicago visit. There was even a huge McDonald's in the basement that doesn't gouge the pocket book and assures that the kids will eat. We learned so much and everything was so interesting and well displayed. The Field Museum is a Chicago must!

See more reviews
Reviewed July 22, 2013

And this is going to sound weird but avoid the cave drawing exhibit until you're almost done! We did this exhibit first and the music and atmosphere nearly put me to sleep!! It was so relaxing, I had to continue to find benches to sit on while my family explored. The rest of the museum was fantastic and we really enjoyed it. If you take a cab here plan to walk to Michigan Ave to catch a cab to leave because that's what we had to do. No cabs to be found right outside the musuem.

Been to The Field Museum? Share your experiences!