“Amazing family attraction, a must see!”
Review of Shedd Aquarium

$149.00*
Chicago by Night Helicopter Tour
Ranked #27 of 667 things to do in Chicago
More attraction details
Owner description: Located on the shores of Lake Michigan, Shedd Aquarium brings you eye-to-eye with more than 32,000 aquatic animals - from whales to snails, tarantulas to turtles, angelfish to zebra sharks!
Reviewed June 13, 2009

Having a daughter who loves sea animals, visiting Shedd was an obvious choice. She loved seeing all of the sealife. The Spongebob 4-D show was great, it was our first experience in a 4-D theater. It was very cool. We were disappointed that the dolphins and beluga whales weren't there but we knew ahead of time that they weren't going to be there.

We went on Saturday morning before Easter and the line to get in the aquarium was really long. Luckily we were given the tip to arrive a 1/2 hour before it opened so we got right in.

2  Thank mnopTraveler

Reviewed June 9, 2009

Shedd Aquarium is loaded with lots to see. The new Wild Reef exhibit is awesome. Plan to spend at least three hours to see everything. Save money and take your lunch with you. They have lockers on site and a lunchroom. Also, if you plan to go back within the next year, save money and buy a membership. Parking is expensive at $16-$19. If you stay downtown you can save money by taking the train/bus.

1  Thank familyothree
Reviewed June 3, 2009

My husband and I really enjoyed our afternoon at the aquarium. I think we were quite lucky as the dolphins and whales had literally just come back to the aquarium a couple of days before we arrived (they had been away for 9 months). We found all the tanks clean and quite large and no signs of dead fish or thick algae (as noted on some other reviews on this site). The place was well staffed and informative. Yes there were lots of children when we went which made it q crowded and a bit stressful but they turned up around lunchtime/early afternoon so perhaps if you go there early then you could avoid this.
We stayed downtown and walked all the way to the aquarium through the park to look at 'The Bean', past the sports stadium, and along the lakeside- it was a beautiful walk and worthwhile doing if your feet can manage!!

2  Thank boomerangturtle
Reviewed June 2, 2009

I took my family to Shedd Aquarium in Feb. 08. It was a Saturday morning, and it really wasn't that crowded. We were able to see everything and eat lunch there. All of the exhibits were great. My kids (6, 9, and 11) really liked the big tank at the entrance and tried to identify as many critters as they could. We probably spent at least 10 minutes at just that tank. The only disappointment was the extra charge for the 4D movie that was way too short for the price.

1  Thank jmetz1016
Reviewed May 27, 2009

OK, I readily acknowledge that Shedd can be busy with a zillion kids. But my husband and I, proudly child- free, can easily say we love visiting Shedd Aquarium. He's from Chicago and we've been there a million times, and we'll keep going back. It is a gorgeous historic building right on the lake, first of all. Secondly, the exhibits are very beautiful and I haven't noticed any poorly-maintained tanks;although if kids are banging on them I'd like to see more staff discouraging it. All the fish and other animals seem to be thriving.

The best part is, of course, seeing the beluga whales and the otters. There isn't much better during a Chicago icy winter for me than being nice and warm inside Shedd Aquarium, watching the unearthly beautiful beulga whales swim in their infinity edge pool when beyond the glass the lake is frozen, heaved into icy waves. Incredibly beautiful and magical. These critical reviews fail to appreciate the beauty of being in the presence of these incredible creatures with whom we share a world but not frequently too much proximity in the same zip code. When I'm there, at least once a year, I like checking in with the whales. I don't know when renovations will be complete, check the web site.

Of course, being in the presence of screaming, banging, ill-behaved children can tax our ability to appreciate the aquarium if you're not in the mood for that. Try to look beyond them; I mean, you can see over their heads,right? : ) I suggest just getting something to drink there if you're thirsty and then instead of visiting the cafe or food area, which truly IS screaming kid central, duck out and visit one of Chicago's hundreds of lovely restaurants for a nice adult beverage and delicious food after you're done viewing all the great sea creatures. I think you can also buy tickets online and bypass lines. Don't be put off visiting Shedd- it's one of my favorite tourist haunts and well worth it. I also never tire of the Art Institute and the Field Museum.

Go with your sense of wonder and you won't be disappointed.

1  Thank mamakin2