“Shedd Aquarium- adults can love it, too!”
Review of Shedd Aquarium

$88.26*
Chicago Odyssey Dinner Cruise
Ranked #28 of 657 things to do in Chicago
More attraction details
Owner description: Located on the shores of Lake Michigan, Shedd Aquarium brings you eye-to-eye with more than 32,000 aquatic animals - from whales to snails, tarantulas to turtles, angelfish to zebra sharks!
Reviewed May 27, 2009

OK, I readily acknowledge that Shedd can be busy with a zillion kids. But my husband and I, proudly child- free, can easily say we love visiting Shedd Aquarium. He's from Chicago and we've been there a million times, and we'll keep going back. It is a gorgeous historic building right on the lake, first of all. Secondly, the exhibits are very beautiful and I haven't noticed any poorly-maintained tanks;although if kids are banging on them I'd like to see more staff discouraging it. All the fish and other animals seem to be thriving.

The best part is, of course, seeing the beluga whales and the otters. There isn't much better during a Chicago icy winter for me than being nice and warm inside Shedd Aquarium, watching the unearthly beautiful beulga whales swim in their infinity edge pool when beyond the glass the lake is frozen, heaved into icy waves. Incredibly beautiful and magical. These critical reviews fail to appreciate the beauty of being in the presence of these incredible creatures with whom we share a world but not frequently too much proximity in the same zip code. When I'm there, at least once a year, I like checking in with the whales. I don't know when renovations will be complete, check the web site.

Of course, being in the presence of screaming, banging, ill-behaved children can tax our ability to appreciate the aquarium if you're not in the mood for that. Try to look beyond them; I mean, you can see over their heads,right? : ) I suggest just getting something to drink there if you're thirsty and then instead of visiting the cafe or food area, which truly IS screaming kid central, duck out and visit one of Chicago's hundreds of lovely restaurants for a nice adult beverage and delicious food after you're done viewing all the great sea creatures. I think you can also buy tickets online and bypass lines. Don't be put off visiting Shedd- it's one of my favorite tourist haunts and well worth it. I also never tire of the Art Institute and the Field Museum.

Go with your sense of wonder and you won't be disappointed.

1  Thank mamakin2
There are newer reviews for Shedd Aquarium

Reviewed May 24, 2009

I was really looking forward to checking this place out and really felt robbed afterwards. The main floor which houses most of the tanks are all dark and full of algea so it was impossible to see the fish, they were all so dull. The tropical exibit on the lower ground floor was better but I was still unimpressed. I usually love aquriums but absolutly hated this one. The place was packed and felt like an airport departures hall. Save your money and go next door to the Field museum, that place was spectacular.

4  Thank Kensington
Reviewed April 24, 2009

I visited the aquarium on a trip to Chicago with my 13 year old son. He was somewhat skeptical, but we ended up having a great time! It was soooo crowded and an attendant told me it was that crowded every day. Wow! We were still able to see the exhibits and they were really good. They have a wide variety of so many animals. Don't miss the huge anaconda in the front section! It was somewhat warm and stuffy because of all the people so dress in layers. The 4-D movies are wonderful and very entertaining although somewhat short. Have a great time!

1  Thank gmm13067
Reviewed April 19, 2009

Again, I wasn't really impressed with the Shedd Aquarium. I had heard rave reviews about it, so I was really looking forward to going, but I don't think it was really that great. Maybe it was because the Oceanarium was closed due to renovation, but I doubt it. It would be great for kids, but as an adult, I wasn't impressed. Half of it is fresh water fish and animals, the other half is ocean fish and animals. I felt like I was at the local (crappy) zoo. I did like the decorations of the ceiling, lamps, doors, and chandeliers throughout the aquarium. I also enjoyed the overhead aquarium in the wild reef exhibit.

1  Thank Jessica_Marie1985
Reviewed April 19, 2009

I'm all for educating children, but having 500-600 of them all at the Shedd at one time pretty much every single day of the week is terrible. Teachers have no control over the kids as most of them just run wild throughout the building, banging on tanks and screaming and hollering and crying.
On any given day the Shedd aquarium seems more like a Chuck E Cheeses more than a world famous aquarium.

2  Thank Croixian1