“Always good and always fun.”
Review of Shedd Aquarium

and up
Chicago Explorer Pass
Ranked #68 of 688 things to do in Chicago
More attraction details
Owner description: Located on the shores of Lake Michigan, Shedd Aquarium brings you eye-to-eye with more than 32,000 aquatic animals - from whales to snails, tarantulas to turtles, angelfish to zebra sharks!
Reviewed December 23, 2013

I would definitely plan on spending at least four hours here. There's so much to see that anything under four hours just isn't enough.

We had tickets for the show at the Oceanarium. The Oceanarium itself is just beautiful. We were there for the winter show which is a little hokey but still fun. I've seen several of the shows over the years and it's always changing so if you went a few years ago, go again. One of the highlights of the show were three penguins who walked in front of the audience. Very cute. The Shedd has a Penguin ticket option if you are into penguins. There is a small portion of the Oceanarium where they train the animals. If I had had more time, I would have hung out there a bit longer because it wasn't crowded and you could see the animals up close.

Any kid who has grown up in the Chicago area has spent at least one day at the Shedd Aquarium. The big tank in the front continues to hold a certain awe for me. I love seeing all the fish swimming together. It's beautiful and calming and provides a show that never ends.

The Shedd provides a great day of fun for the whole family. The Museum itself is beautiful. Be sure to check out the shell torcheres.

1  Thank phaera
Write a ReviewReviews (8,252)
All reviews
in 245 reviews
"chicago city pass"
in 77 reviews

Reviewed December 23, 2013

We arrived on a Sunday afternoon and were heartened to find off-street parking. We paid $5 to park on the street and saved over $10 that the lot would have cost us!

There were other hidden savings that I learned about too late and, unfortunately, didn't take advantage of. Apparently, educators can receive a $30+ discount on the ticket that includes the shows if they make their reservation online. I learned of the discount only onsite and after having paid. I don't know why I didn't see this on their page...I did study their price structure. Alas, word to the wise reading this review.

Another word of caution: We ALMOST left without seeing the large mammals downstairs. My husband inquired as we were about to leave. By then I was hungry and in a rush to leave.

Sigh. I wish someone mentioned these things before we went. I consulted my trusted Trip Advisor reviews!!!

I agree with another reviewer. The general admission ($8) was adequate. Then again, by the time we had finished leisurely strolling the first floor, I was hungry and tired. I think we could have made more of the visit and been more efficient about our tour had I known of the ground we had to cover.

I found the first floor displays well described and fabulously decorated. What a pretty building, inside and out!

..and, don't forget the umbrella stroller if you have a toddler!!! You WILL need it!

Reviewed December 22, 2013

Seeing Belugas for the first time was one of the greatest moments of my life. Though I would prefer that these wonderful animals be able to live out their lives in the wild I am appreciative of the opportunity to see these magnificent animals up close. We rented a locker in the basement to throw our bags and jackets in for the day. I would recommend this to anyone as it frees up your hands and makes the experience much more enjoyable. All of the exhibits were well taken care of and most of the animals were out ready for visitors to see and learn from them. The special exhibit Jellies was well designed and very interesting. This was one of my favorite experiences on this trip to Chicago. The Shedd Aquarium has something for everyone.

Reviewed December 19, 2013

There was way too much construction going on when we stopped for a visit this past weekend. Everywhere you turn something is closed. The tickets are rather expensive to not be able to see everything! And the aquatic show is not much of a show? I felt like I was in class learning about training animals and then all of a sudden it was over. I wish we wouldn't have paid the extra money for that! The kids liked that they could touch the sea creature and the star fish and they enjoyed the 4D movie. Probably wouldn't come back here or recommend!