“World Class.”

and up
Chicago CityPASS
Ranked #27 of 642 things to do in Chicago
More attraction details
Owner description: Located on the shores of Lake Michigan, Shedd Aquarium brings you eye-to-eye with more than 32,000 aquatic animals - from whales to snails, tarantulas to turtles, angelfish to zebra sharks!
Fitchburg, Wisconsin
289 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 274 helpful votes
“World Class.”
Reviewed December 22, 2013

Seeing Belugas for the first time was one of the greatest moments of my life. Though I would prefer that these wonderful animals be able to live out their lives in the wild I am appreciative of the opportunity to see these magnificent animals up close. We rented a locker in the basement to throw our bags and jackets in for the day. I would recommend this to anyone as it frees up your hands and makes the experience much more enjoyable. All of the exhibits were well taken care of and most of the animals were out ready for visitors to see and learn from them. The special exhibit Jellies was well designed and very interesting. This was one of my favorite experiences on this trip to Chicago. The Shedd Aquarium has something for everyone.

Visited May 2013

• Turkish first
Toledo, Ohio, United States
39 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 54 helpful votes
“Too many exhibts closed”
Reviewed December 19, 2013

There was way too much construction going on when we stopped for a visit this past weekend. Everywhere you turn something is closed. The tickets are rather expensive to not be able to see everything! And the aquatic show is not much of a show? I felt like I was in class learning about training animals and then all of a sudden it was over. I wish we wouldn't have paid the extra money for that! The kids liked that they could touch the sea creature and the star fish and they enjoyed the 4D movie. Probably wouldn't come back here or recommend!

Indianapolis, Indiana
“Fun! Great if you love animals!”
Reviewed December 17, 2013

the only struggle we had was getting there! it is a little past the park but totally worth it! Take a cab there and have them drop you off at the side, the enterance is on the side facing the city! It was only $8 for general admission and took up about an hour! We loved it ! An hour was just the right amount of time. If you have kids you can buy a pass but honestly the general admission was just as good!

Franklin, PA
31 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“Fun Day”
Reviewed December 14, 2013

What a great aquarium! I've visited the National Aquarium in Baltimore a multitude of times and this one is (gulp) better. The displays were immaculately done and we caught wonderful glimpses of each critter displayed. The beluga whales are my favorite... always have been. I was so disappointed when they took them away from Baltimore - years ago. I could have watched them all day. The sea otters were out and playful while we were there and the kids really enjoyed them. The dart frogs were very cool, as well. Plan on spending at least 2 to 3 hours there.

1 Thank ecfackler
NJ
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 69 helpful votes
“Great place!”
Reviewed December 12, 2013

So, really, I'm not an aquarium person, but I have to say... this place was pretty darn nice!

It's supposed to be one in the country, and I was not disappointed. (I found Nemo; it was awesome.) A friend of mine works here, and got me tickets for free, and turns out he was able to give us a personal tour! It's beautiful, and it was exciting to see all they had to offer. Absolutely beautiful. I would say schedule about 3/4 hours for this place. They say you can spend all day there, but unless you're really into aquariums, 3/4 hours should do it.

If you have the time, definitely go see it! (and be sure to check out the Jelly Fish exhibit!!)