“Banana Ripoff”

Ranked #24 of 683 things to do in Chicago
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Chicago's breath-taking National Landmark Theatre hosts concerts, comedians, theatrical productions and special events every year. The 3,600 seat auditorium is seven stories high, and the vertical "C-H-I-C-A-G-O," sign is one of the few such signs in existence today. A symbol of State Street and Chicago, the marquee is a landmark in itself, as is the Wurlitzer pipe organ. Patrons can also go behind-the-scenes on their educational venue tour, which runs a few times a week.
Reviewed December 29, 2009

We saw the Chicago production of Banana Schpeel last Sunday. It is an awful, amateurish show attempting to do slapstick. Most of their routines fell flat. It wasn't even corny. The few acrobatic acts were ok, but nothing like what Circ has done in other shows. We were a group of 10 people ranging in age from 14 to 64. None of us thought that this show belonged in one of Chicago's best theaters. DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY OR TIME. If you have already purchased, try to get a refund.

All reviews
in 6 reviews
"autographs"
in 7 reviews

Reviewed December 5, 2009

It felt like my wife and I, along with the couple we asked to join us, were attending a high school performance of some sort. We regretted not leaving at intermission -- the hope of it getting better just never happens.
We have seen many, many shows, and our big supporters of the theatre, but this is simply terrible.

Reviewed December 3, 2009

We have been just to the Cirque du Soleil Show at the wonderful Chicago Theater. What was supposed to be the highlight of our stay in Chicago was really a disappointment. I can only heartily agree with the review stated before. Maybe we were expecting too much because we have seen "mystere" and two other shows of Cirque de Soleil which all have been magical, comical with awe-inspiring artistic perfomances. At Banana Shpell the show startet with a arduous slapstick where you have to laugh about an disabled old man and a skinny guy in his briefs. There were some nice dancing episodes, but all in all you have to pay too much for not much fun.

Reviewed November 29, 2009

We just got back from the cirque du soleil performance of "Banana Schpeel". I cannot believe this show even made it past the planning stage. We been to "KA", "O" and "Kooza", all pretty decent. But watching "Banana Schpeel", I thought I had been transported to one of the less expensive all-inclusive hotels' nightime entertainment shows. No, that's not being fair to hotels' animation teams. "Banana Schpeel" was the worst professional performance we've seen to date. Others must have gotten the word as the show was only about 15% filled. (When was the last time you heard about a cirque du soleil show that wasn't sold out! Don't waste your money. I wouldn't have gone to this show if it was free (and it was a far cry from that!). The stagehands cleaning up at intermission were at least as entertaining as the performers. No, they were not clowns, just regular guys pushing brooms. At over $100 per seat, we were still ready to walk out at the intermission. But we thought we should give them the benefit of the doubt and stick around. Wrong choice! We should have cut our losses. I am not only disappointed in this "show", I am ticked we spent so much money on it. Go spend your money at White Castle for a few hundred "sliders" - you'll enjoy them more!

See more reviews
A TripAdvisor Member
Washington, DC
Reviewed April 29, 2003

Heartbreak Waltz is poignant and funny. Don't miss it! Amazingly well written, this play captures with startling clarity the way we might feel about our former or future selves. A middle aged woman is able to conjure up her 17 year old self, and we witness the dialogues between them as well as those people most important in their lives. I'll admit, this sounded on the surface like a sappy plot, but I was delighted by the story, the acting, and the effect this play had on me. It completely caught me off guard and I loved it!Heartbreak Waltz is showing currently at the Chopin Theatre on Division and Ashland. Right off the CTA Blue Line or a 5 minute cab ride from downtown.

5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Been to The Chicago Theatre? Share your experiences!