“History and Fun!”

Ranked #34 of 688 things to do in Chicago
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Chicago's breath-taking National Landmark Theatre hosts concerts, comedians, theatrical productions and special events every year. The 3,600 seat auditorium is seven stories high, and the vertical "C-H-I-C-A-G-O," sign is one of the few such signs in existence today. A symbol of State Street and Chicago, the marquee is a landmark in itself, as is the Wurlitzer pipe organ. Patrons can also go behind-the-scenes on their educational venue tour, which runs a few times a week.
Reviewed October 16, 2013

What an amazing experience this was for me! Especially as a theatre major wanting to get into a professional theatre world. Halley was our up beat, super knowledgeable tour guide who really knew what she was talking about. Not only was she knowledgeable but she obviously loved what she was doing and it showed with every part of the tour.

The Theatre itself is a beautiful piece of history that really does have some amazing character to it. The seats are amazing (comfortable as well) and the murals that are painted are truly beautiful. I was unable to attend a performance there but I would recommend the tour. It is very affordable and only takes about an hour and is located in downtown not far from a million other things to do.

I can't wait to go back!

All reviews
in 98 reviews
"performance"
in 47 reviews

Reviewed October 14, 2013

As a Chicagoan, I was supportive of the theatre restoration back in the early 80's. Since I remember seeing double feature first run films back in the 50's and enjoyed live entertainment by the Four Freshman, the Crewcuts, Rosemary Clooney, etc. between films, I was delighted to see it restored and providing a great stage for top entertainers today. An anchor on State Street in the Loop.... a must see for visitors of our fine city.

Reviewed October 13, 2013

During a brief business meeting in Chicago, we had the opportunity to see Frankie Valli, live, in concert at the Chicago Theater. The theater is very well maintained in it's original French Baroque style and seems suspended in time from it's opening in 1921. This was our first visit there and greatly enjoyed absorbing the architectural magnificence of the structure. We had seats in the front of a small box at the front of the mezzanine, and the acoustics were fantastic (as was Mr. Valli's voice, even after many years).

Reviewed October 12, 2013 via mobile

My wife got us tickets to Radiolab Live for my birthday. It was my first time at the Chicago Theatre and so when we went into the foyer I actualy needed a moment to take it all in.

The level of detail all around the building is phenomenal. The main hall is probably the most beautiful auditorium I have seen so far.

The show itself was phenomenal and though we got side seats we could see everything and enjoy high sound quality.