“Charlie Wilson & Ledisi”

The Chicago Theatre
Ranked #35 of 684 things to do in Chicago
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Chicago's breath-taking National Landmark Theatre hosts concerts, comedians, theatrical productions and special events every year. The 3,600 seat auditorium is seven stories high, and the vertical "C-H-I-C-A-G-O," sign is one of the few such signs in existence today. A symbol of State Street and Chicago, the marquee is a landmark in itself, as is the Wurlitzer pipe organ. Patrons can also go behind-the-scenes on their educational venue tour, which runs a few times a week.
Reviewed January 3, 2013

Great concert although if I return I will pay for a booth on the 2nd level. The seats are too close for comfort

All reviews
in 98 reviews
"performance"
in 47 reviews

Reviewed January 1, 2013 via mobile

I highly recommend touring this theater. The guide was interesting and excited to give tourists tours of his theater. The tours are not everyday so check the theater website for details. The theater was the first to show movies in the U.S. and was a favorite of Al Capone. The inside of the theater is architecturally beautiful. You see all parts of the theater operations on the tour.

Reviewed December 31, 2012

It's a truly beautiful building, the lobby is ginormous, with gilt and chandeliers everywhere. The perfect "old school" theater, red velvet and gold galore. The theater itself provides great sightlines, but you can tell it was built when the emphasis was on packing in the crowds- or when people weren't quite as large. I'm 6'2, 200 lbs, and I barely fit in the seats- my knees hit the seat in front of me, by the end of a 1.5 hour show I was very uncomfortable. For a longer show it would have been a definite problem.

Reviewed December 28, 2012

We saw Chris Isaak at this venue. This is a historical building and it makes you feel like you are traveling back to the Old Chicago days. You are welcome to photograph inside, so that was nice, unlike other theaters with ushers barking at you to delete photos! A little side note, photos were initially not permitted during the show (even though many were snapping away) but Chris was very cool about it and said "this is the best I will ever look, so take as many as you like". Of course, that will not be the case with other acts, so you should always follow the house rules. The acoustic was great and I liked the concession stands took credit cards. Some venues in Chicago are cash only.