Open today: 12:00 PM - 4:00 AM

from $660.00
More Info
from $660.00
More Info
All reviews al capone jazz club cover charge fat babies live jazz awesome jazz jazz night standing room only step back in time sat at the bar chicago history poetry poets performance stage prohibition era
Selected filters
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Having recently moved to Chicago, I have been exploring the city with some family members who were visiting. Earlier in the week, we visited a jazz bar in the centre of Chicago and had such a lovely time that we thought it would be worthwhile checking out another jazz bar. I selected the Green Mill as it was mentioned in the Lonely Planet guide and had pretty good reviews on TripAdvisor.

Going to the Green Mill was a last minute decision over dinner on Friday evening.
We arrived around 8:30-9pm and learnt that it was cash on the door and at the bar. This was not a problem, plenty of ATMs nearby.

As we entered the club, we were told entry was $15 and a list of rules on how to behave in the club. We felt the entry price was steep, but also recognised it was a Friday night so it was to be expected.

The club was already busy, with most of the seats upfront taken. We selected a booth across from the bar. The waitress seemed stressed and the service in general was off. The club lacked the relaxed and welcoming environment, we experienced at the other club earlier in the week. This could be because it is a Friday night and it is harder to nail that atmosphere when it is so busy or it is simply because the name has become such a tourist spot, they feel they no longer need to make an effort.

As the time drew closer to the performance beginning, the club really started to fill. Lots of people crowded by the bar. Since the booth was large, we offered the remaining space in the booth to a couple searching for a seat. This was a mistake, not Green Mill's, our own. The couple in their 50s spent most of the time, opposite us in direction of the stage, making out. It seems making out while sharing a booth with people you have never met is not on the Green Mill's list of rules.

Between the bar overflowing with people and the couple making out in front of us, the atmosphere was lost. The music was good, but unfortunately part of enjoying listening to jazz for me is the atmosphere. This club lacked it; It felt more likely a rowdy Friday night bar.

We left after an hour when quite frankly it was too uncomfortable at our table. However, I do not think the Green Mill will miss our business. The bar was queued out the door. In my opinion the Green Mill seems like a huge tourist trap in comparison to what I experienced earlier in the week. Maybe, I will try on quieter night and see if it changes my opinion.

Date of experience: September 2019
2  Thank Kari M
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We invited some friends to meet us there for an early night with the Chicago Jazz Orchestra. Used to go for the slams and after hours sets in my now distant youth in the early 80's. The place has not changed! Still a friendly place with a diverse group of people and the occasional tourist. Forgot to tell our friends to bring cash (no credit cards) but there is an ATM. Thinking I will start going back at least every couple of months instead of waiting another 35 years.

Date of experience: August 2019
Reviewed September 5, 2019 via mobile

I had the opportunity during my visit at the Green Mill to see a BIG BAND., and really was amazing. The place it looks exactly like a place from Fe 1940’ if you like live music it is a must visit in Chicago

Date of experience: September 2019
Reviewed August 24, 2019

We wanted to go to the green mill after researching bars where Al Capone went. It was a nice old bar with so much history. We arrived early so there were not many customers and a few people on the stage doing a book reading. We spent the afternoon having drinks and chatting to the bar attendant. It was a fun afternoon. Unfortunately we had an early morning flight the next day and had to leave before the music started.

Date of experience: July 2019
Reviewed August 20, 2019

Nice little place with history and good drinks. I forget the stories but its worth checking out if you're by the Cubs stadium

Date of experience: July 2019