“Alternative jazz performance - get there early”
Review of Green Mill

and up
Private Al Capone Gangster Tour in Chicago
Ranked #18 of 578 Nightlife in Chicago
More attraction details
Owner description: Once a haunt of Al Capone's, this oldest jazz club in the U.S. opened in 1907, and retains the aura of the Prohibition-era speakeasies.
Reviewed November 25, 2012

The place fills up early but its one of the few spots left in Chicago to watch some great live performance. The cover was only 12$ for our recent visit which is unbelievably cheap given the quality of the music. If you want a booth, I'd suggest getting there quite early to grab one. Definitely recommended.

All reviews
"foreman"
"performance"
in 18 reviews

Reviewed November 23, 2012

Thursday nights with the big band are awesome here. It is way old school and awesome. The place is cool and seems untouched since the early 20th Century. Service isn't the best. Can take a bit to get a drink when its packed. It is small so get there early and stake out a spot. Bartenders are a mixed bag of friendly and ornery as mentioned by other reviewers. Still a must see in Chicago.

1  Thank Lee62694
Reviewed November 19, 2012

I researched my trip to Chicago online, including consulting calendars of jazz and blues venues and reviewing artist performances on Youtube. I was very much looking forward to seeing the artist advertised on the Green Mill's calendar as performing on the evening I attended. We were a group of 6. The hotel doorman said he couldn't find us a taxi that could take all of us. After the first group of 3 left in a sedan taxi, the next taxi vehicle for the remaining three people happened to be minivan. We got the phone number of the taxi driver to call him when we were finished at the Green Mill. The location of the Green Mill is well outside downtown. Between the two taxis, it cost us $60 to get there.
Upon arrival, there was no artist at all. Not only was the scheduled artist not playing, but there was no replacement either. I asked the only staff in attendance (the bartender) for an explanation. He replied that the website was maintained by an incompetent outside firm, who couldn't possibly update the online calendar when there were changes. He then said, "I don't know what I can do for you." I asked him to call our taxi driver back. He replied,"I can't possibly make a phone call for you. I have a full bar and it's a ROTARY PHONE!!" I looked at the bar patrons in attendance. There were about ten guys, all with drinks in front of them. I asked if I could use the phone. He allowed me to, with poor grace.
Bottom line: Don't expect the website calendar to be in any way accurate. There could be no artist at all.

2  Thank Jazzandbluesfan
Reviewed November 17, 2012

We visited Green Mill, having seen it described in a guide to Chicago as being interesting from an historical point of view, being a former speakeasy, having live jazz and an extensive cocktail menu. The staff were unwelcoming to the point of rudeness. We were abruptly asked for an entrance fee and ID on entering. On asking a member of staff about the cocktail menu, or a recommendation of a local specialty, we were dismissed with "they can make anything". The interior is gorgeous and authentic, but we felt uncomfortable throughout our visit and would not recommend it.

1  Thank Kathryn H