“Massive and full of treasures”

The Art Institute of Chicago
Ranked #1 of 648 things to do in Chicago
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: See why the Art Institute of Chicago is the only museum in the world to be top-ranked by TripAdvisor four years in a row! Experience the greatest Impressionist collection outside Paris, and view contemporary masterpieces in the spectacular Modern Wing. Stand before classics like Nighthawks, and travel the globe through galleries devoted to the art of ancient Greece, Japan, Africa, and the Americas.
Useful Information: Activities for young children, Activities for older children, Wheelchair access, Bathroom facilities, Lockers / storage, Stroller parking, Stairs / elevator, Food available for purchase
Berkley, Michigan
51 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 78 helpful votes
“Massive and full of treasures”
Reviewed February 27, 2013

Loved the large Impressionist collection, and also the asian art with multiple buddhist and hindu statues. Just impressive and the staff was friendly. A good way to spend a cold Saturday afternoon!

• Chinese (Traditional) first
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Ancient to Modern”
Reviewed February 27, 2013

I found their collection to be expansive, but approachable. The visitors guide gives a 'highlight' tour for those limited on time. One could easily spend the whole day depending on where your interests lie. Highly recommend the Chicago city pass if you are interested in the big museums, and tallest buildings.

CO
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 112 helpful votes
“A Chicago Must!”
Reviewed February 27, 2013

One of the best decisions of my life was to take an early flight to Chicago and spend the day there, braving O'Hare (the second worst airport in the world). I had from around 2:30PM to 5PM closing on Sunday to spend at AI, and I wish I could have stayed longer! Of course I went to see the Seurat, and - upon asking the lovely woman who took my ticket "Where's the Seurat?" - I was pleasantly surprised to receive a great answer! After exploring the mediocre but charming photography in the basement, I took a look at some of their Impressionism collection, and then some European 16th - 19th century stuff. The most breathtaking work here were the busts from Cordier - an African man and woman. Upon seeing the woman, I got a feeling that she was modern. However, the work was created in the late 1800's!

Then I immediately proceeded to the modern wing, which is where my heart lies in visual art. A fascinating collection, everything tastefully and thoughtfully displayed. There were works on loan from Philadelphia (I wondered why I had dejavu when I saw Picasso's "Three Musicians", and also wondered why that particularly important work of his was NOT in the Picasso Exhibit, which I did not visit), and quite a few lesser-known works from famous artists (my favorite being the Devil of Picasso). I was OVERJOYED to see "La duree poignardee" of Magritte - he is my favorite artist, and this is a very known, beloved work. "The Banquet" is also there, displayed in a less-lit area with much Joseph Cornell - art in a box! I really wish I had another 2 hours in that museum ... or more! I could have just drooled all day ... not over the art, though! (And the Warhol "Mao" is definitely a gem!)

Chicago, Illinois
32 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 69 helpful votes
“One of the best museum in Chicago!”
Reviewed February 27, 2013

First at all you can avoid the high price going to the any of the chicago libraries and get the free pass. Also most of the museum s in Chicago have a free day during the week but you have to pay for special exhibits. Make plans to expend all day..you can have lunch at the restaurant museum..very good ($$)

1 Thank Mike_008_13
Fort Wayne, Indiana
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Rude Staff Put Damper on Visit”
Reviewed February 26, 2013

My sister and I took my mom to visit the museum, and I was very disappointed with the behavior of the staff. They acted as if we were intruding and wasting their time. They seemed to be watching and waiting for visitors to do something that could yell at them for. The staff had absolutely no sense of humor at all and were very unwelcoming. I would have enjoyed the visit much more if the staff had been more welcoming and dropped their snobby attitudes. The price has also increased since last time I was there, I paid $23 to be treated rudely. The museum offers a lot of art to see, but it's not worth the price and poor treatment. Next time, I'll stick with Wrigley Field with a beer in my hand.

3 Thank Anakin49