“So So Sushi”

Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: South Loop
Reviewed March 14, 2010

I had diner there today. It was quite empty (Sun night). I'm a sushi / sashimi addict, so I concentrated on freely ordering those from their menu. I skipped rolls and other stuff. They're not for me.

The quality of the fish they is uneven. Salmon was quite fresh, and pretty much everything else had seen better days. Maguro was definitely defrozen: dark, matte color and poor texture. They didn't have Toro (Fatty Tuna), their most expensive item on the sushi list, and I'm glad they didn't, as I assume it would not have been anything to call home about.

Prices on the high side. I found it greedy to charge 2 USD for homemade wasabe (it was good, and came abundantly, but I'm not sure it was made on the premises, the color didn't hold). Reasonable wine list with unreasonable prices by the glass (around 10 USD for a decent glass of Sauvignon Blanc). Service OK.

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed December 19, 2009

Loved the Popper & South Scallop. Some items seemed a bit overpriced and a $20 service fee for BYO is steep. Excellent food, though, and a very cool atmosphere.

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed November 2, 2008

good sushi, I miss the byob

Reviewed June 24, 2008

A great daily basic!

Reviewed May 22, 2008

I love the decor..contemporary chic and a twist of interestingly odd with amazing food and service. To begin, I had the spicy Miso soup which had jalapenos giving it a nice unexpected kick. We then had the soft shell crab and asparagus beef appetizers which were delish. The soft shell crab was perfect. Finally we ordered the Spring and Rainbow maki which were both heavenly good. Oh, and the fresh wasabi is a must. It is BYOB but there is a Sam's, Dominick’s and South Loop Wine Cellar near Michigan and Roosevelt which is not to far. I'm adding this place to my favs!!!

1  Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook

Been to South Coast Sushi Bar? Share your experiences!