“Skip this one”

and 1 more site!
The Beadle Residences at Hyde Park
Ranked #41 of 60 Specialty Lodging in Chicago
Reviewed November 14, 2012

We reserved a 2 bedroom unit. After walking into the smoke filled office and signing our paperwork we we taken to our unit. When left in the unit, my husband and I just looked at each other and said " what are we going to do?". It was that bad. Stains all over the furniture, mold in bathroom. I didn't want to touch anything. Then, I did something I never do...I went back to the office and asked if they had another room. The staff was very cheerful and was eager to make us happy. The second room we saw was no better than the first. The third room wasn't great, but much better than the first two (mold in the bathroom, rug not vacuumed etc). Believe me if there had been another place we could've checked into, we would've been out of there. Unfortunately, there were multiple events in the city that weekend and everything was booked. Someone mentioned that these units are more like a dorm room than a condo/apartment. I agree. However, I'm not sure I've seen dorm rooms as bad as the first two units we saw.

Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank amyandbri

Reviewed October 25, 2012

We used this for a visit to U of C. Location was good: close to the school and the Metra. Easy to get to downtown. A nice neighborhood. Free parking, do note that there is a two night minimum for rentals. As mentioned before this is an apartment, so do not expect there to be a lot of the "hotel type" services.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed September 5, 2012

We were a group of about 20 (some families with young children, older sibling groups, and singles) to attend a South-side Chicago wedding. We rented three (3) units at the Beadle with the goal of inexpensive lodging in an area of town where we could walk to food and easily commune as a large group in the units. We achieved this goal, though we did not meet the accommodation expectations of some.

Make no mistake-- The Beadle is not a hotel -- no front desk, no onsite food, we were given only a 3-hour check-in window on our day of arrival (2-5pm), and the rooms were not as plushly decorated as even a 2-star hotel (no upscale bed coverings, throw pillows, curtains). We could not secure enough towels for our group, so some of us ended up running around the corner and buying some. There was very little if any bath soap as well.

The Beadle is not a condo -- technically it is, but again, the furnishings were so basic that it lacked the homey feel of other condos in which I've stayed.

Our three units felt like a nicely appointed dormitory room or "my first apartment." Of the three units, our room (313) was the nicest--a relatively large (maybe 500 sq ft) 2-bedroom, 2-bath with a futon couch and two chairs in the living room area, full kitchen and a small dining table for four. One of the baths was a large en-suite with a Jacuzzi tub. The furniture was clean. However, there was a strange noise coming from between the walls in intermittent bursts all night that sounded like a small buzzer. It wasn't the refrigerator...the sound was just loud enough to wake my wife up several times both nights we stayed. I slept through it. Our party did comment that largely we slept on the beds, cots, and futons comfortably.

The worst room of the three had a gray microfiber couch that was badly stained. It gave the occupants the heebee jeebies, and while they complained about it, covering it with a sheet helped them forget about it.

All the statements above are not complaints...just stating the facts. What I liked most about the Beadle was the location -- Hyde Park is a neighborhood, so you really feel like you're staying "in" Chicago, along with the locals. A major strip of stores and restaurants, including a location of Chicago's famous stuffed pizza Giordano's, were all a short walk away. You could reach Lake Michigan walking in just over 10 minutes. We walked to our chosen site for the bachelor party, Park 52, an upscale restaurant turned club at night.

Parking was adequate with 11 off-street spaces that frequently were available in addition to on-street parking. We had no issues parking the 5 vehicles in our party. Our group's overall price -- approximately $83 per adult for the two night stay with 4-6 adults per room -- could not be matched by a Chicago hotel.

All in all, our choice of the Beadle Residences accomplished our primary goals. While some in our party would not stay there again, I would. The Beadle was fully booked with our traveling over Labor Day weekend, but you could probably just switch rooms upon check in to avoid any dirty couches on other weekends.

The proprietor graciously did not charge us for any of the kids under 12 (6 total), even though the website clearly indicates a child surcharge. We voiced our appreciation for this kind gesture.

If you can deal with what I've related in this review, The Beadle might just be an excellent choice for you.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
5  Thank unsoIicitedadvice_
Reviewed August 18, 2012

There are not many places to stay in the Hyde Park area and close to the University of Chicago especially if you want to stay more that overnight. This is a little surprising since the University has numerous visitors. The Beadle Residence was a very good find. It is really a collection of apartments with several available for short term residences. The one bedrooms are like a hotel suite with a small living area and kitchen. They also come with a washer and dryer. The Beadle is near 53rd street with lots of shops and restaurants. and in walking distance to the campus.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank M33star
Reviewed August 16, 2012

Obviously, the Beadle Residences is not a hotel. It is a small three-story apartment complex furnished and available for short-term rentals. There is no front desk, but we have never had any trouble making arrangements to get in or to leave. Needless to say, there are not many options in Hyde Park, but if this sort of arrangement meets your needs, it is a very good one The apartments are very well laid and comfortable. If what you like is to be able to make your own coffee and breakfast in the morning at your convenience and to pick up some take-out or a prepared meal from the excellent Treasure Island not far away which you can eat at your leisure, then this is the place for you. I should also add that the person running it is very accomodating and mailed back to me a bag I left behind by mistake.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Berkeleian
Reviewed February 15, 2011

We stayed here with my family, with small kids, in December 2010. The apartments are very well maintained, comfortable and clean. There are, e.g., dishwashers, washing machines and dryers in the apartments, which made our life with the kids much easier. The location was excellent, at least for us, as we were working at the University of Chicago and it's close their campus. It is in a nice neighborhood (Hyde Park) and there are good local services, including several grocery stores (we liked the Treasure Island). It is also easy and quick to get downtown by train. All in all, the Beadle is excellent value for money.

I don't know why a previous reviewer had problems with booking a stay with children, we had none. We did tell them in advance about our children, ages etc., and they offered a crib (which we didn't need). The stairs leading to the apartments on upper floors were a bit of a challenge with a double buggy but we managed.

If I'm allowed to nitpick a bit, they could have a bit more extensive collection of kitchen stuff (pots and pans etc.) as well as some cleaning equipment (e.g., at least a broom if not a vacuum cleaner) in the apartment. The WiFi was provided by a third-party provider and it was a bit annoying - one has to go through a slow login process every time when connecting.

We were supposed to stay for two weeks but ended up staying for more than three since I fell seriously ill and could not travel back home as intended. Traveling with small kids, this was a very difficult time for all of us. I have no idea how we would have coped without all the help from the owner, Wayne. He proved to be a very good human being, helping us in every way you could imagine and being extremely friendly and flexible at all times. I cannot thank him enough for all he did for us! (He did also promptly take care of smaller problems like the tv not working.)

Regardless of our exceptional circumstances, I would definitely recommend the Beadle Residences to anybody traveling to these parts of Chicago!

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled on business
3  Thank JMOtter
Reviewed October 21, 2010

I've been wanting to comment on what a find the Beadle Residence is since I was there in the Spring with my 6 month old and husband. So comfy and accommodating.
And close to a lot of great parks.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled with family