“Strong case for the Dana”
Review of dana hotel and spa

dana hotel and spa
Ranked #62 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed June 13, 2010

I have stayed at the Dana in Chicago twice over the past two years. My first visit was for three nights, second stay for five. Depending on your specific needs, budget, and taste, The Dana can range from very good to fantastic.

The location is a few blocks off the main drag but it's a very easy, safe, and quick walk to reach North Michigan Avenue or River North. Cabs are easily accessible at the front door and the "El" train and bus stops are within a 5 minute-or-so walk.

The Dana was a newly built property buily a few years ago. It is modern, with a lot of exposed concrete and glass but still maintains a warm, Chicago-style loft feel with wood floors and touches of earthy colors throughout the hotel. There is an excellent spa, good restaurant (although too many better options out the front door), and a slightly-above-average continental breakfast included with all rooms. It would be great for younger or young-at-heart singles and couples. Not recommended for families or children due to privacy issues in all rooms and nightlife vibe when the sun goes down.

The rooms: Very good, modern, Chicago-style design with partial wood floors, excellent desk/work space, sliding loft-style bathroom door, excellent spa-style bathroom with spacious rainfall shower, (One wall of the shower is glass exposed to the main bedroom area, which is really fun for some guests but maybe not-so-much if you are traveling with friends or family.) The rooms have excellent in-room amenities for this level/price of hotel. High quality music/TV systems, very good bed/linens, robes/slippers, toiletries, wine bar, and shockingly reasonably priced mini-bar/snacks. There is at least one floor-to-ceiling window offering standard to impressive city views. Excellent natural light in all rooms, although when needed there are blackout shades, if you want to sleep in or have privacy from the nearby buildings. I preferred the upgraded corner room during my second stay since it offered a little more space, two walls of floor-to-ceiling windows, better views, and a small private balcony. Be aware, no rooms other than the penthouse suites have bathtubs, the large spa rain-showers were the trade-off, I guess. There is also a fitness center and small computer area, although there is no pool and had to pay for wifi. Parking here as with all hotels in Chicago equals highway robbery.

One area of the hotel that really disappointed this reviewer, was the super cheesy Vegas wanna-be roof top bar. I thought the staff, design, music, and skanky little cocktail waitress outfits were far too cheap and vulgar for this hotel. You can have a hip and swanky nightclub and still be sophisticated/classy. (Rooftop at The Wit hotel got this concept right and is worth the trip over this place.) Other than the free breakfast and spa worth consideration, skip the hotel outlets. In general I have found the service sufficient- never awful or rude but never particularly memorable.

Overall, I find the Dana a very comfortable and stylish hotel with some great amenities and unique touches. If you can find a competetive rate, it's a good value and a more interesting experience compared with many of the standard corporate hotels in Chicago. Other comporable/stylish hotels in the area to consider and compare rates include The Wit, The Sofitel, The James, and The Polomar.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled solo
2  Thank chicagoboi

Reviewed June 2, 2010

From the moment we walked in we had a great experience at the Dana. Everyone was so nice and accommodating. They gave us a free upgrade to a suite in order to give us a place to hang out with all of our friends. The room was spectacular. The best part was the shower! The rooftop bar was amazing. Great experience, I would totally recommend it!

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank avemana1
Reviewed May 29, 2010

Loosing track here. This has got to be my 6-8th stay at this hotel. What keeps me coming back is the consistency in service and the friendly staff managed by the best GM I've ever had the pleasure to meet. As said in previous reviews, I am a Diamond member at Hyatt but despite achieving that level of "prestige" I am still very much part of the herd. Perhaps this is the bonus of a staying at smaller boutique hotel. I like the simplicity and the sublime elegance of the place. They really do remember returning guests and responsive would be an understatement. The head concierge Tim made a dinner reservation for me at one of my favorite haunts, the Kinzie Chop House and teamed up with our server to send a special dessert.
In all of my stays, I finally spent some real time at their Vertigo lounge. They've implemented a new VIP system that I was told I was among the first to try. Hot spots, especially in this town rise and fall quickly but over the years staying here, the lines for Vertigo has consistently been long. I got to bypass the line wrapping around the block. You can't access the lounge from the hotel floors but I suspect that all guests who stay will have this special access. The club itself is dark, ambient lighting, a great mix of music and seems to cater to urban professionals. I was just at Excaliber (what a dive) around the corner right before Vertigo and it was definitely more my speed. A good mix of twenty to forty something gelling well at Vertigo.
A re-cap of the hotel. Sweeping city views, great technology in the rooms, an awesome shower and perhaps the most comfortable bed I've ever slept in. Ritz Carlton beds have nothing on this place. Must I find something deficient about my stay? Sure, I'll dig hard . Due to a restaurant convention in town I couldn't get a late check out as requested because i had a late flight. That's OK, I got to check in hours before I was supposed to anyway but in the past they've always took care of me on that issue. Will be back in town end of June. See you then.

Stayed: May 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed May 27, 2010

Stayed here in July 09, the rooms were undeniably so comfortable. If you ever need good value for money but for the luxury touch, Dana is the place. The room itself entailed a flat screen tv. floor to ceiling window. The bed was sooooo so comfortable. Overall a clean place. Breakfast wasn't the greatest but there is several restaurants nearby. Will stay here again when in Chicago!!!!

1  Thank SimonSkidmore85
Reviewed May 24, 2010

We were looking for a uber trendy/hip hotel as we are not keen on the large chains. We booked the TranquilitySuite (please note every floor has one - its the corner suite 560 sq ft) which was fine - 2 small balconies although views not great (and we were on 23rd floor).
The bed is so amazingly comfortable and overall service good - just not great. The roof top bar/club is a bit lame and shoddy decor and sushi restuarant on ground floor nothing special at all.
However the staff were nice and friendly (TJ the bell hop is great and a font of all necessary knowledge), spa is OK (small gym/no pool) breakfast is typical American ($10 per person vochers per day provided), location pretty good so yes overall more than acceptable - just not great!

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank alansmith_7
Reviewed May 21, 2010

I was actually in the city for a cosmetic procedure I was having. Not wanting to drive all the way back to the suburbs, we stayed with The Dana Hotel (my plastic surgeon recommended it to me). I was a little concerned about not being at home, but my fears were completely unwarrented. From the moment I hobbled out of the cab-the valet attendant ran for the wheelchair and offered my husband any help he might need getting me to my room ok. Everyone was so incredibly nice-even before I was bandaged up because we actually got there the night before the surgery. We entered our gorgeos suite-that was upgraded to us- and I spent the next hours in the most comfortable bed I have ever slept in my life-and I'm not just saying that because of the medication I was taking! When we did get home I was actually quite sad that we didn't stay longer at the hotel-I missed that bed, the huge gorgeous shower, oh and their chicken noodle soup(Too die for!!). This experience could have easily been a nightmare, but because of this outstanding hotel-it was anything but. You will Not be disappointed in staying here-I can't wait to go back-under a little more fun circumstances of course!

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank Caligirlatheart36344
Reviewed May 19, 2010

Dana Hotel was a great find in Chicago. The hotel staff are extremely friendly and helpful, from the doorman to the restaurant and check-in staff. On check in, they gave us a couple of $10 off breakfast coupons for each day, which made a nice start the day with a delish meal. The hotel is easy walking distance to the Magnificent Mile and the boat tours along the rivers. We booked a suite which included a living room and bar kitchen combo with a separate bedroom and bathroom, plus two balconies. The hotel is concrete construction which means almost no noise between the floors, but does create somewhat of university residence feel to the rooms. The ceilings are exposed concrete, which could be nice, except they seem a little low and it creates a cave-like feel to the space. The decor is eclectic and a bit busy with lots of textures. The rooftop bar, Vertigo, seems to be THE hotspot for the city at night. Line ups form from 11 pm onwards. If you want to see the view, go during the day when it's less overwhelmed. Overall, a nice place to stay and good value.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple