“Fun Hotel in a Perfect Location”
Review of dana hotel and spa

dana hotel and spa
Ranked #59 of 190 Hotels in Chicago
Dallas, Texas
“Fun Hotel in a Perfect Location”
Reviewed May 4, 2009

A friend and I just finished a stay at the Dana and loved it! The location on State Street was ideal --- easy walk to Michigan Avenue, Lincoln Park, Gold Coast area, etc. Tons of restaurants, shopping, and bars within minutes on foot.

Decor is sleek and contemporary, loved the fun shower that looks into the room (with a curtain), beds were incredibly comfortable with great sheets, wireless internet was reliable, and everything was pretty tasteful. The hotel's club has fantastic views, even if the staff's outfits were pretty trashy, and overall service was great. I'd say the staff is relatively young and inexperienced by Four Seasons standards, but they were efficient and helpful when needed. We didn't eat at the restaurant, but it was gorgeous.

The only downsides for us were the poor sound insulation between rooms and the hallway, room a/c that never seemed to get cold enough, and having to take the elevator + stairs or 2 separate elevators each time you go from the room to street level (lobby is on the second floor).

Overall I thought it was a fun, stylish, well-located property and an excellent value. We'd stay again without hesitation.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank lagunadallas

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (491)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Minnesota
Reviewed April 28, 2009

We just finished a 2 night stay at the Dana in their Corner King room. From the second we walked in to the time we left, this hotel exceeded all of our expectations. The staff is fantastic and friendly, the hotel is swanky yet comfortable, and the location is second to none. We can't say enough good things about this hotel and our experience here during our 1st Wedding Anniversary. We even called within the first few hours and recommended it to our friends who are planning their trip to Chicago. The choice to stay at the Dana was somewhat by luck, but the next time it will be due to the experience.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank iceboxboy
New York City
Reviewed April 27, 2009

This place is breathtaking. We paid $119 plus tax a night and stayed for 5 nights, and it was a great experience. Our room was gorgeous and spacy. We stayed on the 19th floor and had a no balcony king. The layout was so unique and modern. The bathroom and shower was AMAZING, I could have stayed in there for hours!
Customer service was 10/10. They helped with directions, we had leftover pizza and room service heated it up for u (ofcourse we tipped them). Rooms were clean and beautiful. There was a wierd celing design which makes it look dingy, but we realized this was the plan. This is THE MOST comfortable bed I have slept in in my LIFE!

The only one minor complaint I had was that the AC only cooled so much and it could get a tad warm after showering.. We are people who like the room freezing cold, but it was still comfortable.

Breakfast was decent. No eggs, waffles, but they had these delicious scones!

The location is as good as it gets! Right near great restaruants, subway, the mag mile, and the Amtrak station.

I would give this hotel a 10+/10. LOVED IT and hoped we get to come back real soon. if the rates are decent, this is the only hotel we would ever stay at in Chicago from now oN!

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank NYCgirl823
Bedford, Canada
Reviewed April 20, 2009

I stayed at the Dana as a part of a group. One of the best chic hotels I have stayed at in a long time. The room was a little small but the layout makes up for it. Being a business traveller, I like having desk space and a sitting area and this room had both. the bed was very comfortable and I loved the linens. Made for a good nights sleep. The sirens outside and traffic noise doesn't normally bother me but having walked the downtown areas of Chicago, this would be a problem no matter where you stay.
Folks.... check out the shower. I will return just for that. No regular hotel showers here. The pressure was perfect and the rainfall effect was amazing. The bathroom was big and made getting ready in the morning that much easier.
The IPOD docking station was great. I have an Ipod touch and I could actually watch my videos on the TV. Easy to use and made my stay even better.
Staff were good although some of my group complained that they were a little rude. I didn't experience that at all. The bar on the roof was a little upscale. the servers acted as if you were bothering them but it seemed like this was the atmosphere they want up there.
If I go back to Chicago on business, I will go back, that's for sure

• Stayed March 2009, traveled on business
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed April 16, 2009

Stayed at the Dana for the second time this past weekend and again had a wonderful time. The floor to ceiling windows are amazing overlooking the city. The staff is very friendly and very attentive. Had an initial problem with the wireless but they moved me a different (and better!) room and it was fine. Room service is great as are the beds and amenities. Highly recommend if you're planning a trip to the windy city!

• Stayed April 2009, traveled solo
Los Angeles
Reviewed April 13, 2009

Last week, I stayed at the Dana Hotel for 5 nights and was absolutely delighted by the hotel, staff and surroundings.

Let’s start with the location which is 2-3 blocks from Michigan Ave and the heart of major shopping. On the other side of the spectrum, the hotel also has a Trader Joe’s, Whole Foods and Walgreens within one block of the hotel which is great for snacks, meals on the go and anything else you may have left behind.

My room was extremely spacious and had a very comfortable bed. The bathroom was huge with great amenities (larger than usual shampoo, conditioner etc.). Big fluffy towels too. It took me a couple of days to realize that my room was handicapped accessible – which explained why there was no dividing ledge between the bathroom and shower, and a pull down bar next to the toilet. It also explained why the closet armoire was very low to the ground. However the room still appeared cozy and chic which is different from many handicap accessible rooms where I’ve stayed in the past.

The hotel offered nightly turndown service with chocolate covered fortune cookies. The service included pulling down the shades and room darkeners which is key because there is a apartment building directly across with a direct view into your room. Be careful getting dressed because I could see everything that the apartment dwellers were doing, so I’m guessing that they could see me as well.

My only complaint with the hotel is that the walls were extremely thin. I had a toddler and baby in the room next to me for my entire stay and believe me when I say that I heard every cry.

Overall, it was a great stay and I would definitely return for a return visit. Free wireless internet and continental breakfast rocked! The staff went out of its way to please. Special kudos to TJ, at the bell desk, who always had a great attitude, even when it was freezing outside.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank Summitpark
Boston
Reviewed April 10, 2009

My husband and I had an amazing weekend stay in Chicago (my first time visiting) thanks in generous part to the Dana Hotel. After booking online, I called a couple of days before our arrival date to confirm the reservation. For some reason they had us booked into a wheelchair-accessible room (I neither needed one or requested one), but that was easily changed with my phone call. We stayed in a Serene King on the upper floor I had requested. Great view--the room had a wall of nothing but floor-to-ceiling windows--and super clean. The chocolate minibar items available were unique and delicious, though expectedly pricey ($4 bag of double chocolate coated malted milk balls, for example). And if you are really into hotel bathrooms like I am, believe me, the Dana Hotel's shower MUST be experienced. The entire staff--from the valet guys to the front desk personnel to the housekeeping ladies to the servers in the exceptional Ajasteak restaurant downstairs--was polite and accommodating, but a special shout-out must go to the concierge staff--Tim and Aleksandra. Both of them took the time to ask us questions and discover our tastes before making recommendations on what to do and where to eat. Thanks to them I felt like we were experiencing a local's Chicago rather than a tourist's Chicago. Very much appreciated. I can't wait to go back to Chicago and stay at the Dana again.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple