“We REALLY Liked the Dana Hotel and Spa”
Review of dana hotel and spa

dana hotel and spa
Ranked #60 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed May 11, 2014

We got this hotel unexpectedly on Hotwire in the "4 Star Boutique in Watertower/North Michigan" area. We loved it. (Be forewarned--there are other 4* Boutique hotels in the area too, though they are probably all pretty nice.)

We didn't check in til nearly 11:00pm. The only regular King rooms left were on the 25th floor directly under the Vertigo Sky Lounge and the front desk woman was concerned we'd find that too loud, so she upgraded us to an 8th floor corner king. Of course, even that room is slightly noisy because you can hear the street noise, but it didn't b other us at all.

We had floor-to-ceiling windows looking straight down State Street. The mini-bar is simple but surprisingly affordable, though we didn't really need anything at 11:00pm. Keurig coffee maker with plenty of Keurig cups (but only decaf mint tea--bleah). Good towels, good sheets, very comfy mattress and great shower--though it is true that you can see from the toilet through the shower and right across State Street from there unless you pull the little curtain.

Big tv and big speakers for an iPad dock. Good desk with ergonomic chair. Great floor. Nice little couch. Plus two kinds of window shades so you can block people's view or block out the light altogether.

We were only there about 10 hours, but I have only great things to say about this hotel. The location is, of course, fantastic, at the corner of State and Erie.

We didn't eat anything in the restaurants or use the spa. We were told our room key would get us straight into the Vertigo Sky Lounge, but we didn't need that at 11:00pm either.

For the $139 we paid on Hotwire, this hotel was a steal. Very impressed.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank calebindiana
Liana C, Director of Sales at dana hotel and spa, responded to this reviewResponded May 16, 2014

Good Afternoon Calebindiana,

Thank you for choosing the dana hotel and spa! We are very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay so much and also that you took time out of your busy schedule to write such a wonderful review. We hope that you are able to visit us again the next time you are in Chicago.

Best regards.
Liana

Write a ReviewReviews (3,948)

Reviewed May 11, 2014

Inquired about a reservation that was made through hotels.com, wasn't expecting they'd honor my request but WAS expecting the curtesy of a reply. Still haven't received one after several attempts. Lack of customer service is very disappointing.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled solo
2  Thank LNinWis.
Liana C, Director of Sales at dana hotel and spa, responded to this reviewResponded May 13, 2014

Hi LNinWis,

I am very sorry to hear you did not get a response from us when you inquired regarding your reservation. Would you mind calling me or emailing me more details (I will message you my contact information). It would be helpful to know what phone number or email address you contacted. Again We are very sorry this happened and would love the opportunity to make it up to you.

Reviewed May 10, 2014

Check in was a breeze, the location is ideal, and the rooms are clean and comfortable.

I really couldn't find anything wrong with my stay, except that the price was a little higher than what I am used to paying for Chicago. So my recommendation would be to definitely try it but be shrew about what your paying.

Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank KMKC08

Good Afternoon KMKC08,
I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with. Next time your travel bring you to Chicago call our reservation team to book, they can help you find the best available rate for your stay.
We look forward to seeing you again soon!

Reviewed May 10, 2014

Rooms are great! Service is the best, easy check-in, easy check-out! Loved the room and breakfast is the best!!!!! The location is also a great one for the downtown area. I thought they took very good are of my vehicle which is always important to me.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank SandyK_11
Liana C, Director of Sales at dana hotel and spa, responded to this reviewResponded June 20, 2014

Dear SandyK_11,

Thank you for choosing the dana hotel and spa for your stay in Chicago, and thank you for taking the time to write this glowing review! We are so glad you enjoyed your time with us, We hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed May 9, 2014

Creepy bathroom window has been covered by everyone else, so I will get on to the other stuff:

Loud, loud and more loud.

I HAVE to remember to quit booking hotels that have trendy clubs associated with them (in this case, The Vertigo Sky Lounge). I love boutique hotels but hate having to deal with the loud loud loud people that overrun any hotel associated with a club like this or the Library Bar in PUBLIC. Basically it's a club, that happens to have a hotel attached to it, so being an actual hotel guest is secondary to everything.

So, lessons learned.

DO NOT let them assign you a room across from the elevator. In addition to the loud music from the 26th floor lounge that was pulsing through our room on the 23rd floor all night, you get loud and drunk guests trying to circumvent the elevator system to get to the club (you have to take the one downstairs and outside) and then getting lost on your floor, yelling about it right in front of your door.

The stay overall was fine other than that. The room was a decent size, but pretty much everything in the room is showing its age.

There are dents and dings on the lamps and furniture. Nothing is quite "clean" looking--including the headboard of the bed in the room we stayed in an, well, it all just needs a good scrub and a few updates.

Location is great, Caesar the doorman was incredibly nice and helpful, the windows are neat, the bathroom's layout, as everyone has mentioned, is supremely creepy. But the shower itself is great. Fantastic wine selection on the room bar if that's your thing.

Room Tip: Stay away from higher floors in you don't want club noise.
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank KayDeeee

Hi KayDeeee,

Thank you for choosing the dana for your recent stay .
I am sorry we did not meet your expectations. To address a few of the inconveniences you encountered, we are working with an engineer to reduce the noise that can be heard from Vertigo and we are also in the process of refreshing the rooms with new furniture and wall covering.
Caesar is a wonderful asset to our team and we are glad you had the pleasure of interacting with him.
We do hope you will give us a second chance next time you are in Chicago.

Reviewed May 8, 2014

My wife and I stayed at the Dana because Hotwire selected it for us. We were a little nervous because we had never heard of it, but it ended up being an excellent hotel and vacation.

While the hotel itself is nice, the highlight of our stay at the Dana was the customer service. The concierge, Timothy, was incredibly helpful and made our trip to Chicago truly spectacular. Every single staff member including the doormen, bouncers, restaurant manager, housekeepers, etc. were very friendly and helpful. The doorman, Ceasar, went out of his way to know our names and always offered assistance for taxis and directions.

It didn't feel like a stay a corporate chain of hotels...it was more intimate and personal and I would recommend this hotel to anyone visiting Chicago.

Room Tip: We asked for a lower room away from the club.
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank 473ryang

Good Evening Ryan G,
Here at the dana hotel and spa we pride ourselves on the level of customer service we provide. We are very pleased to hear that our staff is continuing to do such a wonderful job and that you were so satisfied with your stay. We do hope that you will come and see us again soon!

Reviewed May 6, 2014

I stayed in the Dana for several days on a business trip this past month. My stay was among the worst I have ever experienced in hotels around the world, mostly due to the incredible amount of noise in this property.

Some of the noise comes from the doors; the room doors are not equipped with closing mechanisms that work properly. Whenever someone opens a door and lets it close, it swings shut with a massive BANG that echoes throughout the floor. The housekeeping staff also do not seem to care about the noise that they make when they are cleaning rooms, which means that every morning starting at about 6:30 or 7:00, the banging begins and does not stop for hours. If you're trying to work from your room or take calls, it is nearly impossible.

Some of the noise comes through the paper-thin walls that separate the rooms. I could hear my next-door neighbor's spoken (not yelled) conversations with his wife while I lay in bed. When they called to each other from the bathroom, it was as if they were in my room.

Some of the noise comes from the "rooftop lounge" on the 26th floor. In reality, this is a very loud bar with thumping dance music that plays very late into the night. **If you have to be awake early and are in the hotel's upper floors, good luck to you. You'll need it. I was unfortunate enough to be put in a room on the 25th floor and heard nothing but dance music all week. At night, the bar closes somewhere between midnight and 2:00 a.m., but the staff at the front desk do not seem to know the bar's hours. That is, if you can get them on the phone--I tried calling the front desk several times at night and twice had to put the phone down after it rang 35 times with no response.

When you can reach them, the desk staff are a mixed bag. Some are smart and able to help, some not. The man on the late night shift several nights I was there is a good example. He spoke very fast and mumbled as he spoke, so that people kept having to ask him to repeat himself. The poor German tourists he helped in line ahead of me turned to each other and asked "Do you understand him?" This same staffer also wanted me to leave either a $25 cash deposit or $25 room charge deposit in to borrow a pair of scissors. I understand that people might take things and not return them, but the cost of replacing the item should be factored in--there is no way a pair of scissors merits a $25 fee.

Then, there's the cleanliness. On my floor, the housekeeping staff and the workers from the nightclub upstairs left bottles, cigarette butts, and other garbage in the hallway by the stairs. This trash stayed on the floor for three days. When I asked housekeeping about it, they said that "a different crew picks that up." Or doesn't pick it up, as the case was.

I know the Dana is convenient. I know it's inexpensive. But unless you're willing to sacrifice sleep for location and price, it's a terrible, terrible deal.

Room Tip: Never, ever accept a room on the 25th floor. I visited friends on the 18th floor and could still hea...
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank drdrewross

Dear drdrewross,

Thank you for your feedback. Although we learn from our mistakes we do not want to frustrate our guests in the process. We are working with an acoustical engineer to reduce the noise. I did share your review with our team in and effort to isolate each issue and take corrective action.
We are very sorry you did not enjoy your stay. We would love for you to give us a second chance to redeem ourselves and show you what we can do. If given that opportunity please reach out to me directly so I can personally handle your reservation. lclark@danahotelandspa.com