“Loud, louder, and loudest”
Review of dana hotel and spa

dana hotel and spa
Ranked #59 of 191 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed May 6, 2014

I stayed in the Dana for several days on a business trip this past month. My stay was among the worst I have ever experienced in hotels around the world, mostly due to the incredible amount of noise in this property.

Some of the noise comes from the doors; the room doors are not equipped with closing mechanisms that work properly. Whenever someone opens a door and lets it close, it swings shut with a massive BANG that echoes throughout the floor. The housekeeping staff also do not seem to care about the noise that they make when they are cleaning rooms, which means that every morning starting at about 6:30 or 7:00, the banging begins and does not stop for hours. If you're trying to work from your room or take calls, it is nearly impossible.

Some of the noise comes through the paper-thin walls that separate the rooms. I could hear my next-door neighbor's spoken (not yelled) conversations with his wife while I lay in bed. When they called to each other from the bathroom, it was as if they were in my room.

Some of the noise comes from the "rooftop lounge" on the 26th floor. In reality, this is a very loud bar with thumping dance music that plays very late into the night. **If you have to be awake early and are in the hotel's upper floors, good luck to you. You'll need it. I was unfortunate enough to be put in a room on the 25th floor and heard nothing but dance music all week. At night, the bar closes somewhere between midnight and 2:00 a.m., but the staff at the front desk do not seem to know the bar's hours. That is, if you can get them on the phone--I tried calling the front desk several times at night and twice had to put the phone down after it rang 35 times with no response.

When you can reach them, the desk staff are a mixed bag. Some are smart and able to help, some not. The man on the late night shift several nights I was there is a good example. He spoke very fast and mumbled as he spoke, so that people kept having to ask him to repeat himself. The poor German tourists he helped in line ahead of me turned to each other and asked "Do you understand him?" This same staffer also wanted me to leave either a $25 cash deposit or $25 room charge deposit in to borrow a pair of scissors. I understand that people might take things and not return them, but the cost of replacing the item should be factored in--there is no way a pair of scissors merits a $25 fee.

Then, there's the cleanliness. On my floor, the housekeeping staff and the workers from the nightclub upstairs left bottles, cigarette butts, and other garbage in the hallway by the stairs. This trash stayed on the floor for three days. When I asked housekeeping about it, they said that "a different crew picks that up." Or doesn't pick it up, as the case was.

I know the Dana is convenient. I know it's inexpensive. But unless you're willing to sacrifice sleep for location and price, it's a terrible, terrible deal.

Room Tip: Never, ever accept a room on the 25th floor. I visited friends on the 18th floor and could still hea...
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank drdrewross
Liana C, Director of Sales at dana hotel and spa, responded to this reviewResponded May 16, 2014

Dear drdrewross,

Thank you for your feedback. Although we learn from our mistakes we do not want to frustrate our guests in the process. We are working with an acoustical engineer to reduce the noise. I did share your review with our team in and effort to isolate each issue and take corrective action.
We are very sorry you did not enjoy your stay. We would love for you to give us a second chance to redeem ourselves and show you what we can do. If given that opportunity please reach out to me directly so I can personally handle your reservation. lclark@danahotelandspa.com

Liana

Write a ReviewReviews (4,125)

Reviewed May 5, 2014

For a short stay visit and if you will be out and about, I recommend this hotel.

Initial impression was not great(informal lobby design and tiny hotel room), BUT, the staff's culture made up the difference. The hotel's customer service is 4.5 star compared to other 4-5 star hotel. Staff were respectful and accommodating. Great food, worth the price.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
Liana C, Director of Sales at dana hotel and spa, responded to this reviewResponded May 23, 2014

Hi naedyam

We are glad you chose to stay with us at the dana hotel and spa! Our staff is one of our best assets and we are pleased to hear they made your stay even more enjoyable. As for the room size, feel free to call our in house reservations department next time you visit, we have multiple room types that vary in size so we can find something a bit more to your liking.

Reviewed May 5, 2014

The whole stay was amazing! The hotel staff allowed us to check in early. We were upgraded to a corner room. It is worth the money for the corner room, all the windows were amazing. The room was small, but cozy! The breakfast in the morning was delicious and affordable. The hotel was in the perfect location, only three blocks from the golden mile. We stopped at a fabulous wine bar a block away from the hotel. It is within blocks of numerous restaurants and lounges. I would absolutely stay there again.

• Stayed: April 2014

Good Afternoon Kim J,
We are happy to hear you had such a wonderful time with us! We are always pleased to hear that a guest would be happy to return. We hope you do return soon and we look forwarding to having you stay with us again.

Reviewed May 4, 2014

I have stayed all over downtown Chicago but this was my first time at the Dana. It was terrific! Modern but classic decor. Very personal service from the valet, to the front desk, to the spa employees. Had great sushi during happy hour at the first floor restaurant and a drink at the very cool rooftop bar. Will definitely stay here again!

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends

Hi Kelly5748,

It sounds like you took advantage of many of the great things the dana has to offer, from our restaurant on the first floor to our roof top Vertigo Sky Lounge . We try to make it so you can get everything you need without having to go very far at all. We look forward to seeing you again and please feel free to contact us if you need anything in the meantime.

Liana Clark

Reviewed May 4, 2014

My experience at he Dana was a pure joy.
The doorman were so helpful,
I cut my hand on the entrance doors and they were fantastic. They jumped into action, antiseptic,bandages,they were great!
The desk staff were very helpful.
My room was beautiful, and the housekeepers were wonderful.
Great stay,coming back to Chicago this summer.
Will be staying at the Dana.

• Stayed: March 2014

Hello oberkshire,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a wonderful review. Our staff works hard to make sure that your stay is the best it can be. We are more than pleased to hear that you will be returning to us this summer and look forward to seeing you again soon!

Liana Clark

Reviewed May 4, 2014

This is our fourth visit to the dana and we have not been disappointed. The rooms are trendy, spacious and comfortable; the quality of the bedding is outstanding; the room service is affordable and offers good selection; the in-room wine bar offers a good assortment and is priced to sell - a pleasant surprise for any hotel, especially in downtown Chicago. The new hotel restaurant offers a quality selection of small plates great for sharing and the weekend Bloody Mary bar was a great surprise. On our previous visits we had not had an opportunity to visit Vertigo Sky Lounge and we were certain to give it a try. Vertigo offers stunning metropolitan views of Chicago. It's very cosmopolitan and the outdoor patio and fire pit is a great spot to enjoy the skyline. We look forward to visiting again soon.

Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
Liana C, Director of Sales at dana hotel and spa, responded to this reviewResponded May 29, 2014

Hello A N Z,

Thank you for such an enthusiastic review! We appreciate your loyalty to the dana hotel and spa and are pleased to hear that our level of service and quality of our product is consistently being delivered as promised. We look forward to welcoming you on your next visit to Chicago.

Reviewed May 3, 2014

I stayed here for one night this past February with my companion. Same beautiful decor and staff. Food EXCELLENT through room service. Very quiet. Very private. Everyone is fun and friendly from valet to reception. My 2nd trip here and unfortuneately, I STILL haven't used the Vertigo Sky Lounge yet but that just gives me another reason to keep coming back!

Great location, sexy decor, privacy included, and fun.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank SpotlightOnTravel

Hi julezmc,

We are overjoyed to hear you had such a lovely time with us. The Vertigo Sky Lounge will have to be a “must see” on your next visit, we promise it will not disappoint!