“Great Girls' Getaway!”
Review of dana hotel and spa

dana hotel and spa
Ranked #61 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed March 21, 2014

We stayed here for a "big city" getaway! Shopping was walking distance and we REALLY enjoyed the hotel's bar and restaurant! The staff was very helpful, and the modern decor was "interesting!" We had a fabulous view of the city and it was a very memorable stay!

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank vikinggal19

Reviewed March 18, 2014

My husband and I stayed at the Dana for our 1 year wedding anniversary and I cannot say enough about how wonderful and helpful the entire staff at the Dana hotel were to us. Checking in was a breeze and it was our first time in the city and anyone we asked for help, they were more than willing to help us and I never felt like I was a bother to them. Tim, Lindsey, Courtney, Romeo, Elia, and the rest of the bar/restaurant staff were so kind and friendly to us. Our room was very clean and the view was incredible from the 11th floor.I can't wait until we make another trip back to the city because I will stay here again. Thank you all again for helping us celebrate our Anniversary!

Reviewed March 18, 2014

We stayed at this hotel for 5 nights in March 2014, including the St Patrick's Day celebrations. We chose this particular hotel for its location and because it appeared to be good value for money in comparison to other hotels in the area, and it didn't disappoint on either aspect. The superb location on North State Street means that it's just a short (and fun!) walk (10 or 15 mins or so depending on your pace) to the heart of downtown and the Magnificent Mile shopping area is just a few minutes away. The hotel can be reached fairly easily and very cheaply by train from O'Hare airport by taking the blue line to Jackson then changing to the red line to Chicago. There is a walkway between the 2 lines with some stairs at each end - we managed this okay with our 2 heavy suitcases but I would only recommend it if you are relatively fit! Don't make the mistake (as we did at first!) of getting out at the blue line station called Chicago - as this is quite a long walk to the hotel. The rooms are modern and quite stylish and fun, without being luxurious. Having a coffee maker in the room was a nice touch, and the free wifi was good. We loved the city views from our window and balcony on the 15th floor. We didn't particularly like the bare concrete ceiling but it wasn't a major problem. Cleanliness was okay. A big attraction for us was the Vertigo rooftop bar and it was fun to have drinks there on our first night, and to experience the outdoor terrace with the fire pit. Having said that, we wouldn't recommend it on a Friday or Saturday for more mature guests like ourselves as it definitely gets a lot busier and more "clubby". We had one dinner and one breakfast at the hotel and both were really nice. The only reason we didn't eat there more often is that there are so many other good options to choose from in the area and we wanted to try as many of them as possible! We found the staff in all areas of the hotel really friendly and helpful. We requested a late check-out on our last day and were able to get this at no extra cost. Overall we thought this hotel was not quite in the same league as other "funky" hotels like Kimpton but quite a bit cheaper so we would say that's fair enough!

Reviewed March 17, 2014

I stayed here twice. I ran into some issues the first time and was told via email I would have better care next time. I did not. When I shared the problems I encountered the second time, I was never contacted so I am finished with this hotel. The rooms are small, ceilings look like something will drop on you, feather pillows give no support, our beds were covered in long dark hairs I had to pick off. Noisy staff in the lobby knocking on doors all morning. Some staff are friendly but some at check in/out are not at all. The blonde girl working the rooftop lounge was very unfriendly. The glass shower looking into the bedroom with the curtain on the bedroom side is awkward. The bathroom is heavy and would not stay shut. Our bathroom wasn't stocked until the second day, lots of dings, dents and stains too. The blinds do not keep out the lights. Free internet is a plus & the beds are comfortable. The best thing about this hotel is location but I will not return to the Dana for future business trips.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed March 17, 2014

Loved the hotel but was only there for one night. The room was a corner so I had a great view. I was on the 14th floor and street noises may have bothered others, but I was unaffected. Staff was young but helpful.

Room Tip: Corner room has a great view. Mine faced Eerie and State Street
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Pulp123
Reviewed March 13, 2014

We had a great stay here, and we will never stay in another hotel. Bellman was very friendly, checkin staff was great. We got a free upgrade to our room. Beautiful room, great view, great location, comfy bed, I noticed some people complain about not getting breakfast vouchers. You get those if you make a reservation directly through their website instead of through a 3rd party site. The spa is great also!

Reviewed March 12, 2014

We booked the Dana hotel and Spa through Expedia and let me tell you we had an excellent stay at this hotel. We walked in and the bell man was so helpful and polite. We then proceeded to check into our hotel and we were able to get into our room early. The Concierge by the name of Tim, took such good care of us. he made all of our reservations, made sure we had tickets to get into the Backroom and he also bought us a bottle of wine for my birthday. What a nice touch. All of the people working the front desk, bar, cleaning staff and restaurant were polite, and very nice. Also, we went to the spa and enjoyed our time, I would recommend this to any one. They just received an award for one of the top 50 spas in the country. The rooms are beautiful, the roof top bar Vertigo is so fun and I recommend any one go there. In summary, we enjoyed our stay at this hotel and I would encourage anybody considering a stay to definitely do so. Thanks to all of the staff for such a wonderful weekend!

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family